Music service choices

Discussion in 'MOG, Pandora, Spotify, Rdio' started by Aaron, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

While waiting for the MyControl features of SiriusXM to make its way to the smartphone, I figured I'd try some of the other services. The free versions, anyway.

I'm no stranger to Slacker. Been one of my options for several years now. Made a dozen or so stations a few years ago. Deep playlists on the Slacker produced stations... a real winner. I like the new interface. Bummer about the sheer volume of commercials on the free service though..

Just tried Pandora for the first time this week. Surprised to find out that is has much more listeners than Slacker. Slacker seems to have more to offer. Playlists seem more repetitive than Slacker's. Nice color interface. Like Slacker, an annoying amount of commercials on the free service.

Been listening to Spotify. The first 48 hour free preview of the Premium Service is awesome. Love the on-demand selection. It's great.
    The radio stations, at least the ones I listened too were repetitive. Heard the same song repeated in less than 2 hours of play one station. Unlimited skips is cool.

MOG gave me fits trying to sign up for the free service or preview, whatever, because I'm not on Facebook. Not a big fan of the interface. Haven't listened too much yet, but the on-demand music is cool.

I love Songza. It's got all these creatively themed playlists. It's the kind of thing I do with my own music collection... make interesting and sometimes bizarre collections of song united by a common thread. Also great is that it has no audio ads.

Rhapsody. Got the app. Haven't listened yet.

_______

Well, those are my thoughts...

I welcome your feedback,
    Aaron

2. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Slacker
    Songza
    Spotify

In that order.

I do listen to other streaming stations like Radio Paradise and NPR music which has some concerts.

MOG and Pandora don't even register.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

3. Brad Bishop

Brad Bishop Member

To add to this:

I'm trying Rhapsody on a trial basis (10 days) mainly because I have some equipment with it already built in.

It seems like it's poor for 'radio like' functions but good if you want to build a library of songs and just pay for them forever.

In radio mode picking something like 'Classic Rock Radio' will get you, what seems to be, any and all artists that are considered classic rock and just random songs from any of their albums (there's a lot of suck in there - it doesn't matter what the genre is, you're getting the random sucky tracks in any genre).

Everything else is either building a rented library or being able to find that one song and listen to it instantly which, I believe you can do with Slacker and their premium level.

I don't see me keeping Rhapsody beyond the 10-day trial.

It's probably best suited for those who want to build a library and setup their own playlists.

4. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Picking a music service to some degree really boils down to what you like best in the way of genre's, interface and radio/on-demand.

Radio (preprogrammed stations)

I'd rate Slacker the best, but the on-demand is pretty crappy, but sound quality is pretty low by comparison with Slacker.

My next best for Radio would be Spotify, followed by Pandora. Spotify has overall better sound quality and somewhat deeper playlist with less commercials on the free service.

Spotify Premium is very good, but unfortunately in a few genre's that I like their artist song selection is much weaker than MOG. Plus they have so much Karaoke crap that when making playlist you have to really pay attention, cause you end up with a bunch of that junk in your playlist. I think for Spotify its a numbers game, we have 15 millions songs, which my guess is that 3 or 4 million of those are honestly just trash.

MOG is by far my favorite because it has the deep genre's that I like and MOG seems to get new music sooner than some others. MOG is weak in terms of Radio, but they have a new Radio setup in beta now that is as good as Spotify's. It just not out to the public yet, but will be soon. I also like MOG because my head unit supports it. I have also done a lot of comparison with Sat Radio, and other services and hand down I find that MOG has the best SQ of any music service available. I will say that I've not tried Spotify in the last year, but when I last tried it they still had a lot of music encoded at what they called their high bitrate, but it was still much lower quality than MOG. I've heard they have finally fixed that.

Pandora for me is worth $36 a year to rid myself of ads and once you really start listening and using the thumbs up and thumbs down, you can get some good stations. I have also over the years created many of my own stations by adding the artist I like and then when crap plays I don't like thumb it down. Today I have some really good stations, but it does take time and work. I also listen to it in my car some because my head unit supports it.

Rhapsody I've done, but just didn't care for it. The interface is clunky and honestly sound quality wise its not one of the best. Its been said that they have a good number of subscribers.

Rdio is another great service, but they don't have nearly as decent library as the others, but their interface has always been top notch.

I think the new SiriusXM setup with doing the on-demand and having the ability to customize stations is really going to play well for them. Unfortunately this doesn't work via the sats and is internet based only. I have to say I've strongly considered just doing SiriusXM sat and internet radio sub and letting all my other music services go on hiatus for awhile. In fact it is likely that is exactly what I am going to do just to see how it goes for awhile.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  5. Brad Bishop

Brad Bishop Member

I just pre-emptively cancelled Rhapsody. I wasn't going to build a library, as I already have one, and listening to random songs from artists in a genre wasn't doing it for me. I like the deeper tracks to discover some new things but, for me, you need to mix that with stuff you recognize, not just pick some artists and, essentially, press 'shuffle'.

Slacker and Pandora do well for getting me what I want to listen to without the crap tracks and they do go a bit deeper than SiriusXM. Slacker has the cache deal which is a big sell for me. Pandora works really well for filling my place up with music via Roku and some Airport Expresses doing their Airplay bit to various stereos.

I don't get how Rhapsody survives. I could see it 10 years ago when all of this was new but no one seems to talk about it in the current, "How do you stream your music," discussions that you see. Google it and try to find anyone mentioning Rhapsody. It's few and far between.

6. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

I used to love slacker, had a portable radio...
    But I almost always use spotify.

Oh yeah, I forgot I used the hell out of rhapsody for a year or so on my squeezebox radio...with the squeeze box remote app on my phone, I could control my radio from anywhere.

7. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

I don't like any of these. I listen to my vast music collection, and I listen to real radio DJs I like to hear new stuff.

8. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

I hate radio DJs, slacker plays plenty of new stuff.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk

9. sjam613

sjam613 Member

I use Sirius/XM, Spotify, and Pandora.

Pandora's limited library can be frustrating and building playlists on Spotify can be a pain as you have to be careful not to load in that fake karaoke crap that helps them show a large library of music. Spotify has become more of a use for my kids as I can build them a playlist of all Selena Gomez music or Laurie Berkner stuff plus mix other stuff in.

I mainly listen to all 3 services through my Squeezebox Touch and since they are done with that product have no hopes of the My Control from Sirius coming to that device.

I wonder if I should consider going to Slacker Plus and dropping Pandora.

10. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

You need better DJs.

11. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

I don't need ANY DJs. If it plays the music I like with no chatty jocks I'm happy.

12. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

But how does it play the music you like? Random chance? Predictive algorithms? Or is there a DJ somewhere programming it?

A good DJ should be like an older sibling. They know more about music than you do, and can expose you to things you'd never think of on your own. Also, they've probably got something better to do than sit and talk with you, so they aren't chatty.

13. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

It has programmers adding music to the mix on a regular basis so there's always new music to be heard. You also get to make the choice whether not you want to hear the DJs, how shallow or deep you want the playlists, what songs or artists you want to hear more or not at all, plus every format that's been removed from satellite over the course of its existence.

Of course, Slacker has been around for a few years, I figured all that was common knowledge by now. :idunno:

14. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

But you said you didn't need any DJs.

15. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Well, again, you make the choice as to wether you want to hear the DJs, I choose to turn them off.

16. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

Now that the MySXM feature is on the iPhone, they now have me hooked again.
    I love customizing the channels and hearing songs that Sirius XM doesn't normally play. The only real competition for my listening time is my own music collection.

17. sjam613

sjam613 Member

I think I am better off banging my head on the wall then trying to figure out whether to stick with Spotify or switch to Slacker.

18. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Really depends on what you like more, being able to create playlist that plays the music only you want or to have a service that does a really good job of allowing programmers to create some stations for you. Slacker is best at programmed radio stations. Spot is better at being an on-demand service. Just be careful with Spot when creating playlist, cause you may end up with a bunch of karaoke crap.

19. sjam613

sjam613 Member

I think I may go with the Plus and drop Pandora One while keeping Spotify for on demand music.

20. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Sounds like a very good plan to me. :)

DAB
    Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk