New cord-cutting trend on the rise in America

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I can't see me doing this. The stuff I watched on Cable is available on other formats. Including the Internet. When Data plans become faster and more cost-efficient, then MAYBE.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
I think the numbers a skewed by the fact the elderly watch more TV. Higher numbers of cable users equals less of an overall percentage of plug pullers. The younger generations will stop paying for interweb service if they live in a wifi free area or sponge off a hot spot on a regular basis.

Me thinks more people pulled the cable plug last year. When I cancel my cable I'll use up my monthly 250GB on streaming video.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I think the numbers a skewed by the fact the elderly watch more TV. Higher numbers of cable users equals less of an overall percentage of plug pullers. The younger generations will stop paying for interweb service if they live in a wifi free area or sponge off a hot spot on a regular basis.

Me thinks more people pulled the cable plug last year. When I cancel my cable I'll use up my monthly 250GB on streaming video.

Then there are the ones (likely not being counted in studies like this) that never got cable TV in the first place. Which if you believe most reports is a growing trend among younger people.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Then there are the ones (likely not being counted in studies like this) that never got cable TV in the first place. Which if you believe most reports is a growing trend among younger people.

What if you only believe the numbers?

graph1_4Q2012_subscriptionTV.png

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Well, Again, the ones not being counted in reports like this, since you can't count what isn't there.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Well, Again, the ones not being counted in reports like this, since you can't count what isn't there.

Say what? That's the number of people paying for subscription TV services. It counts everyone paying for TV. Who isn't being counted in those numbers?

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Say what? That's the number of people paying for subscription TV services. It counts everyone paying for TV. Who isn't being counted in those numbers?

Simple. The people who AREN'T.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Simple. The people who AREN'T.

Yeah, I'm still not following. The general population has increased about 6% over the period shown in that graph. The number of people paying for TV has increased about 40%. So the number of people who aren't paying for TV decreased substantially.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Yeah, I'm still not following. The general population has increased about 6% over the period shown in that graph. The number of people paying for TV has increased about 40%. So the number of people who aren't paying for TV decreased substantially.

Yes. Now! 10 years ago phone companies didn't have to worry about customers cutting landlines and using cellphones exclusively. As the younger generation ages, there's no reason to believe they'll ever see a cable service since ALL of their viewing is done online. As that generation adopts those habits, others will follow.

There have been predictions that all content will be streaming or on-demand within 10 years. What will then be the purpose of having a $150 cable bill when it's readily available elsewhere for cheaper or free?

The killer app for cellphones was having E-911 introduced that made it possible for emergency services to find exactly where you are in an emergency. What will the killer app be for this? So far it hasn't needed it with the younger generation since nothing on cable TV interests them that can't already be seen elsewhere. To me it could be when local blackout restrictions are removed from packages like MLB.TV, and the NFL finally wakes up and sees the future doesn't involve DIRECTV and offers games online. To a certain extent even that last one is starting to come to fruition.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Yes, now. If this trend starts, the numbers will show it. Until then, I remain unconvinced.

It's already starting, but it's going underreported because they're focusing too much on cord-cutters, and not the ones who will never see a cable subscription a day in their life. Once the cord-cutters numbers go up (and they are) and the people who will never subscribe's number converge, then they'll have to take notice. People like Charlie Ergen the President of Dish Network already are. But there's not a lot they can do about it because the future of this trend doesn't involve them, unless Echostar decides to get into the broadband game or decides to litigate the issue into submission (we see how that worked out with the record companies, who eventually gave in and begged the likes of Steve Jobs to swoop in and save their asses).

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
It's already starting, but it's going underreported...

Stop right there. It doesn't have to be "reported" to show up in the number of TV subscribers. That number is growing faster than the population. If that stops, then the trend you're predicting might have started. But until then, it's all speculation.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
To FINALLY reach a conclusion, anyone who is not into sports, and is a cable subscriber is being ripped off since the majority of subsidies per network is going toward sports channels, whether you subscribe or not. ESPN is in the basic package, and they're getting the majority of the money.

I find that even as a minor sports fan myself, that not watching the game, and just looking at the score online is a better experience since I don't have to hear some long-winded announcer ramble on about taking it one game at a time. The only sport I actually watch in realtime is the Broncos during football season. Hard to say how long that will last after Peyton Manning retires however.

Beyond that nothing I can see on cable interests me, at least that isn't already available online. And I'm not subsidizing ESPN in the process.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Stop right there. It doesn't have to be "reported" to show up in the number of TV subscribers. That number is growing faster than the population. If that stops, then the trend you're predicting might have started. But until then, it's all speculation.

It's already beginning. Comcast lost nearly 400,000 cable subscribers last year according to this:

Comcast Loses Nearly 400,000 Subscribers In Last Year - Business Insider

But their broadband internet subscription numbers are going up.

Even in this year their cable TV subscribers are still going down.

Comcast profits jump, subscribers down

Since they own NBC and pretty much everything else under the NBC name, they're profits aren't taking a hit, but the numbers for the cable TV side don't lie.

But good luck finding that information on any NBComcast news Network.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Except for the ones who are simply cutting the cord and cutting back. Dish Network is no better than Comcast or any other cable company when it comes to channels. You're still paying for Sports you don't want whether you have a package or not. ESPN is standard in every package on cable or satellite. Once A La Carte becomes the standard (or should I say IF) then ESPN is screwed!

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
Dish Network is no better than Comcast or any other cable company when it comes to channels.

I agree with that but what Dish is doing with technology is amazing. I said this before... their Hopper DVR is the best DVR going outside of Windows Media Center. They are promoting the PTAT feature the commercial skip and the built in Sling. They know every provider has the same channels so their upping their game with their DVR.

My nephew who is a Junior at Ohio State doesn't have any type of cable subscription. He was over the other night and checked out our Dish system with two Hoppers and sling built in. He loved it and it thinking about joining. I think what he likes is the convenience and the Sling. Those crazy kids and their iPads. :blob1:

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I agree with that but what Dish is doing with technology is amazing. I said this before... their Hopper DVR is the best DVR going outside of Windows Media Center. They are promoting the PTAT feature the commercial skip and the built in Sling. They know every provider has the same channels so their upping their game with their DVR.

My nephew who is a Junior at Ohio State doesn't have any type of cable subscription. He was over the other night and checked out our Dish system with two Hoppers and sling built in. He loved it and it thinking about joining. I think what he likes is the convenience and the Sling. Those crazy kids and their iPads. :blob1:

That's also for someone who watches a lot of TV. I personally don't even have a TV and watch probably two or three shows at this point. Dish was cheaper at $80 a month, but that's still $80 for two or three programs.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
I feel ya man. That would not be worth it at all. Lets start a petition to have ESPN separate and let those of us that want it stream it. (Yea like that would ever work lol)Cutting the cord would be nice!