New guy with old S50

Discussion in 'Sirius Radios' started by pdoyle, Jul 5, 2013.

1. pdoyle

pdoyle New Member

Howdy, been lurking for a while and this is my first post.
    I have had an S50 from around 2005. I have 2 vehicles and a home dock and use it at the gym a couple days a week. The thing is solid and works well.
    I am having trouble with it regarding the battery. The charge indicator says 100% but no juice so I'm buying another battery. Other than that no problems ever.
    I really like the idea of recording a song while driving around. Not sure how long this S50 will last so...
    Is there a newer unit on the market that is like the S50 ?
    Thanks for any help.

2. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Pdoyle, welcome to the DRC.
    There aren't many options that record, and there aren't any that will record a single song anymore. Thank the recording industry lawyers for that. The odds are looking slim that we would ever see that again. The Lynx is a good radio that caches and records, but its already getting discontinued and not as easy to find.

Check out the buyers guide here: http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/siriusxm-2-0/19451-siriusxm-buyers-guide.html

3. pdoyle

pdoyle New Member

Hectic Art, thanks for your info.
    I got the new battery for the S50 charged it and I'm back in business.
    I am going to keep an eye out for a Lynx and will pick one up for a spare when I find a good one.
    Does anybody else do that? Hate to buy used electronics but if there won't be another portable that records...

4. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Glad to help.

There are a few people around here that pick up spares, just in case.

I still have my old SL2. Guess I haven't stopped to figure out if I'm going to keep it or not yet.

Keep us posted.