Oculus Rift

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
well its finally here...or at least just a few weeks away.

this thing is a game changer. i remember waiting for and expecting some sort of true virtual reality to come to market since i was a kid in the early 90s. i cant wait for this thing to finally get going.

there are a bunch of major drawbacks though. first off the price. $600 makes it the most expensive console out there. but if it has the games to prove its worth people will pay it. also it will drop in price if its popular soon enough.

also it requires you have a pretty powerful computer. this is a much bigger barrier than the price.

The system requirements were published on the Oculus website. The recommended settings for using the Rift are as follows:
NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater
Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
8GB+ RAM
Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
2x USB 3.0 ports
Windows 7 SP1 or newer

that means my new, cheap computer cant run the system. im not going to go buy a new computer on top of the $600 for the machine. all other consoles are self contained. this is tethered to a powerful computer. it makes it a somewhat major investment. despite how truly awesome this thing seems to be i think this may be a big issue for it gaining a foothold in the console market.

Oculus Rift System Requirements Announced

CES 2016: IGN Plays 3 Oculus Rift Launch Games - IGN Video

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
well its finally here...or at least just a few weeks away.

this thing is a game changer. i remember waiting for and expecting some sort of true virtual reality to come to market since i was a kid in the early 90s. i cant wait for this thing to finally get going.

there are a bunch of major drawbacks though. first off the price. $600 makes it the most expensive console out there. but if it has the games to prove its worth people will pay it. also it will drop in price if its popular soon enough.

also it requires you have a pretty powerful computer. this is a much bigger barrier than the price.

The system requirements were published on the Oculus website. The recommended settings for using the Rift are as follows:
NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater
Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
8GB+ RAM
Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
2x USB 3.0 ports
Windows 7 SP1 or newer

that means my new, cheap computer cant run the system. im not going to go buy a new computer on top of the $600 for the machine. all other consoles are self contained. this is tethered to a powerful computer. it makes it a somewhat major investment. despite how truly awesome this thing seems to be i think this may be a big issue for it gaining a foothold in the console market.

Oculus Rift System Requirements Announced

CES 2016: IGN Plays 3 Oculus Rift Launch Games - IGN Video
I'm still waiting for a holodeck so I can have sex with all sorts of hot actresses, like Jennifer Aniston

Reactions: JHDK

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
So no one else here bought an Oculus Go?

It's a cool idea but you still need a phone for the initial setup right? I want VR that is completely self contained.

How do you like it so far?

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
It's a cool idea but you still need a phone for the initial setup right? I want VR that is completely self contained.

Yeah, you need an Android or iPhone just to set it up and pair controllers. You don't use the phone for anything else. Why does that matter?

How do you like it so far?

It's amazing. I bought it just to try it out, thinking I would probably dislike it and send it back. That is my way. But the VR experience is very, very cool.

My favorite app so far is AltspaceVR. It's a shared virtual world open to a bunch of different VR headsets. I found my way through a maze and took a selfie at the top of a pyramid:

Meme2018-05-08_23-10-28.jpg

(I found a way to make my avatar completely black, which freaks people out.)

Last night I stumbled into a guy giving a lecture about theatrical props. It was a room with a big screen showing slides from this guy's trip to China and a bunch of avatars standing around listening quietly. Very interesting.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Why does that matter?

It really doesn't but when I first read about it, it was billed as a standalone VR headset and then watching an unboxing video and seeing a phone was needed to set it up was kinda a bummer. Not sure why it matters to me but it does.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Yeah, you need an Android or iPhone just to set it up and pair controllers. You don't use the phone for anything else. Why does that matter?

It's amazing. I bought it just to try it out, thinking I would probably dislike it and send it back. That is my way. But the VR experience is very, very cool.

My favorite app so far is AltspaceVR. It's a shared virtual world open to a bunch of different VR headsets. I found my way through a maze and took a selfie at the top of a pyramid:

Meme2018-05-08_23-10-28.jpg

(I found a way to make my avatar completely black, which freaks people out.)

Last night I stumbled into a guy giving a lecture about theatrical props. It was a room with a big screen showing slides from this guy's trip to China and a bunch of avatars standing around listening quietly. Very interesting.

I kept seeing your post on facebook and didn't know what they were. I just checked out the website and it looks interesting and not expensive. One day I'll try a VR unit and if I like it, I may buy one.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Looks more normal than some of those odd faces you make in the cycling pics you post. :rolleyes:

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
"It is also, as far as I know, the first non-fiction example of a VR device that can actually kill the user. It won't be the last," Luckey wrote.
Maybe.......Just maybe..........It wasn't really the politics that got him fired......

Reactions: sadchild