Pandora partners with Pioneer and Alpine to bring Internet Radio to cars

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Pandora has taken yet another step forward towards bringing internet radio into vehicles by partnering with car electronics manufacturers Pioneer and Alpine, with products available starting in March.

Pioneer-AVIC-X920BT.jpg
Pioneer will starting selling a navigation device - dubbed the Pioneer AVIC-X920BT - that allows iPhone users to easily access and stream the service in their cars. The double-din navigation system, which will MSRP for $1,200, will detect iPhones that have Pandora installed, and put the consumer's Pandora settings on the 4.1" screen.

See the rest of the article here: Pandora partners with Pioneer and Alpine to bring Internet Radio to cars - Orbitcast

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Might be a consideration for my next car, I don't know about $1200, although Pioneer has always made nice Car Stereos.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Yeah I love Pioneer that is what is in my Scion all Pioneer and it sounds great!

Only problem with this of course is that it would require a cellular data plan and most plans are like $30 to $40 per month for 3 to 5GB of data. There are no unlimited plans available from AT&T or Verizon because this would be a stand alone data card like you use on a PC.

I'll keep my iPhone and Skydock! More Choices suit me better! ;)

MNXMFan

Oct 24, 2008
Yeah I love Pioneer that is what is in my Scion all Pioneer and it sounds great!

Only problem with this of course is that it would require a cellular data plan and most plans are like $30 to $40 per month for 3 to 5GB of data. There are no unlimited plans available from AT&T or Verizon because this would be a stand alone data card like you use on a PC.

I'll keep my iPhone and Skydock! More Choices suit me better! ;)

Actually, neither YET has a cap. AT&T want's to put one into place, but hasn't yet. Verizon only caps data at 5GB for "tethering". Data usage on phones is unlimited, for now. I'd expect that to change soon though, especially if Verizon is looking to Android and possibly addnig the iPhone.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Actually, neither YET has a cap. AT&T want's to put one into place, but hasn't yet. Verizon only caps data at 5GB for "tethering". Data usage on phones is unlimited, for now. I'd expect that to change soon though, especially if Verizon is looking to Android and possibly addnig the iPhone.

I wouldn't expect either company to do it without a huge customer revolt. AT&T already has too many people pissed off at them for lousy coverage, just read the tweets and blog posts from CES from people with iPhones. :eek: