Sadchild's "high fives" (every artist I like at least five songs from)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Michael Bolton

1. How Can We Be Lovers
2. How Can We Be Lovers
3. How Can We Be Lovers
4. How Can We Be Lovers
5. How Can We Be Lovers

Listening to it right now for the first time in.... dear lord... 25 years??
I have never listened to a full Michael Bolton song ever. I did like the Michael Bolton character on Office Space however.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
I have never listened to a full Michael Bolton song ever. I did like the Michael Bolton character on Office Space however.
Back in Bolton's peak, I'd hear him on the radio or in the halls of a mall. Bleh. However, my room mate at the time liked "How Can We Be Lovers" and would play the cassingle in our apartment. It grew on me a little bit.

In modern times, I hear him on the VJ once in a while. Unless I happen to have an available skip I can use...

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com

Midnight Oil

Genre: pop rock, alt rock

Discovered: probably FM, "Beds Are Burning"

Other: Back in the day, I only knew my top 3 below. I didn't hear anything else from them until SXM First Wave. Their new song "Gadigal Land" is pretty good.

HIGH FIVE:

1. Beds Are Burning
2. Outbreak Of Love
3. Blue Sky Mine
4. The Dead Heart
5. Forgotten Years

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Middle Class Rut
I've only heard a little of their stuff, but I've liked what I've heard.
Ya beat me to it. :thumbup:
Midnight Oil
I said it before \/ /\/ \/
They had such a cool, unique, and big sound. They should have been more popular, and stayed on the scene longer.
I'll say it again.
They had such a cool, unique, and big sound. They should have been more popular, and stayed on the scene longer.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com

Mighty Mighty Bosstones

Genre: ska, alt rock

Discovered: video compilation RockVideo Monthly - Alternative Releases - May 1994 (same place I discovered Stabbing Westward and Meat Puppets), "Simmer Down"

Other: Aside from the Ska-Core, The Devil And More EP I bought back in the day, I only like a handful of their other songs.

HIGH FIVE:

1. The Impression That I Get
2. Simmer Down
3. Where'd You Go
4. Someday I Suppose
5. So Sad To Say

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com

Mindless Self Indulgence

Genre: electropunk

Discovered: ex-singer of my band, "Never Wanted To Dance"

Other: Totally out there. Zany. Offensive. Fun (but only if you have a twisted sense of humor). Like a raunchy Devo played at 78RPM.

HIGH FIVE:

1. Never Wanted To Dance
2. Witness
3. Jack U Up
4. Shut Me Up
5. Stupid MF

Reactions: HecticArt

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com

Ministry

Genre: industrial metal

Discovered: MTV, "NWO"

Other: Why can I not find anything substantial from Google about the big fire the crowd started during Ministry's set in Boston at Lollapalooza 1992? A friend of mine was there and said it was unbelievable. And the only thing I can find is a comment on a blog post from someone who was there?!

I remember that show. I was one of people up in the grass section. I remember most of the details the same way, but my experience was completely different.
I was jumping in and out of mosh pits all day and I was still enjoying the rush I got from the chaotic but relatively safe “dancing” that I loved. Out of the corner of my eye I caught a small flame in the center of a pit where someone lit clothes or something on fire. Some daring types started jumping over and through the flames. Others began taking off their t-shirts and throwing them into the flames and building the fire. This seemed to set off some kind of tribal atmosphere. The crowd around the fire started to move in a rhythmic circle around the fire jumpers… and it grew, and grew. Then the place erupted. A few small chunks of grass thrown into the air turned into an impromptu dirt fight… there was so much sod in the air it reminded me of the nighttime videos of the bombing of Bagdad.. but it was not a ‘fight’ really, but more like a neighborhood water fight… but with the only mostly-harmless element available. Until the fence started coming down. But still, after about a half-dozen bonfires started I never felt tense or anxious. I felt alive. I felt excited. I would later refer to the show as one of my all-time favorite concert experiences.

HIGH FIVE:

1. TV2
2. Just One Fix
3. NWO
4. No W
5. Scarecrow

Reactions: HecticArt and Aaron

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com

Missio

Genre: wiki says "pop rock, synth pop" but I definitely disagree. - but I can't think of a good classification... maybe dark-EDM?

Discovered: SXM, "Middle Fingers"

Other: Another of the small handful of newer artists I like that have a truly modern 2020's sound.

HIGH FIVE:

1. I See You
2. Middle Fingers
3. I Do What I Want
4. Sing To Me
5. The Darker The Weather, The Better The Man

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com

Mister Mister

Genre: pop rock

Discovered: MTV

Other: Another one album band for me. Nothing I've heard outside of their debut has interested me. Always wondered why the three hits were put as the first three tracks of side B.

HIGH FIVE:

1. Is It Love
2. Kyrie
3. Into My Own Hands
4. Broken Wings
5. Black-White

Reactions: HecticArt and Aaron

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland

Mister Mister

Genre: pop rock

Discovered: MTV

Other: Another one album band for me. Nothing I've heard outside of their debut has interested me. Always wondered why the three hits were put as the first three tracks of side B.

HIGH FIVE:

1. Is It Love
2. Kyrie
3. Into My Own Hands
4. Broken Wings
5. Black-White

This is reminding me to check the Worst Band Names thread.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com

MOD (Method Of Destruction)

Genre: thrash metal, un-PC comedy

Discovered: cousin

Other: Controversial first album. Like the song "AIDS", which stands for 'anally inflicted death sentence' and bashes gays. And track one "Aren't You Hungry", which uses an old Burger King slogan (and the N word) to bash charities that raise money to feed people in Africa. I won't defend these guys, but they do have some songs I like. And hey - no one has called for Axl Rose's head on a platter yet for "One In A Million". Millions still listen to GNR despite his take on "immigrants and f----s" and "police and n-----s".

HIGH FIVE:

1. Wigga
2. Makin' Friends Is Fun
3. Ode To Harry
4. Spandex Enormity
5. Hate Tank

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com

Mother May I

Genre: rock and roll

Discovered: CMJ

Other: Mid 90s rock sound a la Goo Goo Dolls, etc. Got signed and toured the US and England, but never broke. Yet another band where I pretty much just like one of their albums.

HIGH FIVE:

1. Meet You There
2. Poison Dart
3. Painted On
4. Dick And Jane
5. Birthday Wish