Sadchild's "high fives" (every artist I like at least five songs from)

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
"I may not be a great guitar player, singer or songwriter, but my message and emotion are so strong and my creativity is so limitless, you're gonna love it anyway".
She’s all attitude and hook. There’s kind of a freedom to it. It’s good stuff, and to bad there wasn’t more that caught on.

Reactions: sadchild

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Just found another one of these. I've heard his new song "Discombobulated" a couple dozen times and I just figured out what he's referencing in these lines.

I'm at my best when I'm at my worst
And for that I'm blessed, so every time I rap I curse

Now it seems obvious, but when he's going 200 MPH and every line has at least one reference, it's easy to miss a bunch and need a couple dozen listens to catch them.

Everyone else get what he's referencing there?
"Smells Like Teen Spirit"

I'm worse at what I do best
And for this gift, I feel blessed
Our little group has always been
And always will until the end

There's probably dozens of references like this in every one of his songs that get missed. I didn't notice it until many listens later!

Here's another subtle one.

In his song "Berzerk", he heavily samples Billy Squier's "The Stroke". Here's the pre-chorus of the song:

Kick your shoes off, let your hair down
(And go berserk) All night long
Grow your beard out, just weird out
(And go berserk) All night long

After a few dozen listens it suddenly hit me.... he's referencing a different Squier song:

R-1206838-1346363672-4383.jpeg.jpg

Reactions: HecticArt

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Local-H-Live.jpg

Local H

Genre: rock

Discovered: knew FM "Bound For The Floor"

Other: I didn't get into #5 below at first, but years later I think it's pretty good. The other 4 I definitely like though. I heard #2 earlier today at work and was rockin' out to it (in my mind anyway). #3 & #4 are recent (2015).

HIGH FIVE:

1. Hands On The Bible
2. High-Fiving MF
3. Mansplainer
4. The Misanthrope
5. Bound For The Floor

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
They played Bound for the Floor on SXM last week.
I don't know many of their other songs, before Hands on the Bible.
I should look into more of their stuff.

Reactions: sadchild

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Now onto today's favorite. Under the category of soft-voiced woman-fronted bands that rock, it doesn't get any better than the Boston based Blake Baby, Juliana Hatfield. She struck out on her own in '93, and scored hits with My Sister and Spin the Bottle - which got onto the Reality Bites soundtrack. But it was '95s Only Everything that I got hooked on. It was a perfect blend of her voice and lyrics, set over a wall of crunchy grunge guitars.
Yesterday I discovered Local H has a new song featuring........ Julianna Hatfield! So this post is for @scotchandcigar

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
ll_cool_j_-_getty_-_h_2020-928x523.jpg

LL Cool J

Genre: hip hop

Discovered: MTV "I'm That Type Of Guy"

Other: Third and fourth albums are my favs (I like most of the songs on each), but he's easily got another dozen or so songs I like from before and after those ones.

HIGH FIVE:

1. Mama Said Knock You Out
2. Around The Way Girl
3. Droppin' Em
4. I'm That Type Of Guy
5. It Gets No Rougher

Reactions: HecticArt and Aaron

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
images

Locksmith

Genre: hip hop

Discovered: don't remember, but it was "Who I Am"

Other: One of a handful of modern rappers I dig more than just one or two songs from.

HIGH FIVE:

1. On God
2. Who I Am
3. Black Holocaust
4. Rederik
5. Prison

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
lordtracyPR.jpg

Lord Tracy

Genre: hard rock, rock

Discovered: MTV

Other: My first rock show at a club. I was absolutely blown away and it's still probably the best live show I've ever seen. I brought 3 friends who just came "to check out the girls". From the first note to the last one, they were right up front by the stage with me rocking out in a frenzy. It's a shame they only released one album back in the day (more came after reuniting years later). Trivia 1: singer was the original frontman of Pantera (their 'hair' days). Trivia 2: They were originally the Traci Lords, but swapped it around to avoid getting sued. Trivia 3: Five years ago, Rolling Stone named it one of the best 50 hair metal albums of all time.

HIGH FIVE:

1. Out With The Boys
2. East Coast Rose
3. She's A Bitch
4. 3HC
5. Chosen Ones

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
SU8FmefhpYfJ3KivfgpG6h.jpg

Love And Rockets

Genre: alt rock, new wave

Discovered: MTV "So Alive", but then going back into their earlier stuff I kinda recognized "Ball Of Confusion" and "No New Tale To Tell" (maybe I'd heard them once or twice?).

Other: Had no idea until this millennium that "So Alive" was a top 5 hit. I also didn't know their next album flopped so hard their fans were actually bringing it back to music stores asking for refunds (I found it boring as hell but did like one song from it - #5 below).

HIGH FIVE:

1. So Alive
2. Ball Of Confusion
3. Sweet Lover Hangover
4. No New Tale To Tell
5. Trip And Glide