Samsung Testing Its Craziest Smartphone Yet

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Samsung reportedly starts testing its craziest smartphone yet - Yahoo News

samsung-flexible-tablet-smartphone-concept.jpg

Well, this would certainly be one way for Samsung to bolster its image as an innovator. ZDNet Korea’s supply chain sources claim that Samsung has started testing an absolutely wild new smartphone prototype that will feature a wraparound display that will completely eliminate side bezels. This means that the touch display will extend around to the side of the phone and will be used in lieu of the side buttons that we’re normally accustomed to on mobile phones.

ZDNet Korea’s sources say that so far it’s “unclear whether Samsung will produce the new phone massively or change it to a limited edition premium phone for developed countries.” That said, we do know from past patent filings that Samsung has been working on this crazy experimental smartphone design for a while. One particularly intriguing patent that we read about earlier this year describes a phone that is ovular in shape and that similarly has button icons on the side of the device instead of physical buttons.

Is Samsung actually going to release such a wild and crazy device? We honestly don’t know but it’s certainly one of the most intriguing concepts that the Korean electronics titan has come up with in a long time.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
You gotta be kidding me. They ain't BB or Nokia.

Sent from Tapatalk.
They will be if they keep phones like that up. I remember when Blackberry couldn't be stopped (hell, I damn near considered a blackberry before getting my first iPhone) now they're an afterthought.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Samsung will never go away. They are a huge Korean conglomerate. They make more than just cell phones.

But that phone is just, dumb ....

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
I stlill have no idea why options are a bad thing to certain people. I bet they never intended to release that phone. Their probably just testing things out. Kinda like car companies making concept cars.

Samsung isn't going anywhere. We have all Samsung appliances. Really nice stainless steel. They have nice TV's too.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Reactions: semipenguin

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I'm actually considering a TV from Samsung (between them and LG) but if something isn't going to see the light of day, wouldn't it be a waste of money as opposed to focusing on improving existing products? It'd be better if Samsung just focused on what they know instead of trying to do everything. Spin off/sell off the wireless division and let others who do it better (HTC makes damn good phones if I was into Android) take the initiative.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
It's the wild ass ideas that foster other innovations.
Like the concept cars, they may not intend to release it, but while they are working through the process of developing it, engineers will come up with ideas they can use for other phones.

It's a healthy exercise.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
I think Samsung knows what their doing with phones. My S4 has an excellent screen and great battery life. I'm only upgrading to the Note 4 to get a bigger screen and the S pen.

I'll check out all the new phones before I upgrade. I like checking them all out and then deciding. Some great phones out now like the LG G3 HTC One and hopefully a bigger iPhone in the fall. Compatition is a great thing.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Reactions: HecticArt

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I can't find the screenshot, that I am looking for. The closes thing is the picture below. But in couple of movies, phones and tablets appear on a thin glass screen, yea it all fake, but one day technology will reach to that point.

p-per-mobile-phone%2Bclear%2Bglass%2Btranslucent.jpg

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
My Maxx lasts 2 days + on a single charge.

The cool potential of this phone, is that it's like a tablet that folds up enough to fit in your pocket. Eventually, somebody will develop a phone that does that and actually works.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
I have no desire to own a self-driving car. Why would I want a vehicle that can go places without me? I now fear we may soon have phones that can call each other and they won't need us either.

Samsung's Galaxy S10 lineup: Foldable phones, 5G and phones that charge each other
CNN Business, Feb 20 2019 4:01 PM ET

A 5G device. A foldable phone that morphs into a tablet. A smartphone that can charge another smartphone when sandwiched together. Samsung is making bold moves with its new lineup of Galaxy S10 smartphones, which were announced today at its "Unpacked" press event in San Francisco. Following a year of slower sales growth — due largely to the S9 models not being different enough from its successful Galaxy S8 products — the company hopes a handful of innovative features will inspire consumers to trade in existing devices for newer models.

Galaxy S10: Samsung launches new line of smartphones - CNN

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I'm still really happy with my Note 9.
I typically get a week out of a single charge.

I expected the folding phone to be a few more years away, and I'm curious how many folds it's rated for before it fails.