Say Hello to Sirius XM Lynx

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
its strange to me these different new radios have different names but the same style essentially. Onyx, starmate 8, edge, XMH. yet the price on the starmate 8, and the edge is not too different. Why buy a starmate 8 for 120 something when you could get a edge for the same price. I guess if you are a Sirius customer (like me) and just want another new radio and dont want to sign up a seperate XM account for a new edge...but that screws Sirius subs, really.

meh

The Starmate 5 is WAY better and less $ than the Starmate 8 in my opinion. However I'm pretty sure the Starmate 8 may use the XM Xpress Docks. If that's the case it's a good transition radio. So if someone gets that and say the radio dies in a few years it should be easy to replace with say an Edge or something and not have to change docking stations. But that's assuming the Starmate 8 uses Onyx/Xpress docks, which I hope it does.

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
I was going to ask, is this like a dock I could use with my sportster4/stiletto 2 dock? Guessing not, I dont know the XM docks very well. I was under the impression radios like the mirge, and the xm versions, as well as onyx and stuff shared the same dock. Confusion!

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
So it may be too early to ask this, but......
if we have a Sirius FM direct antenna adaptor for our SL2'S, will we need a new one of those too?

Last edited:

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
OK. Uncle Hectic is a little geeked up. . . . . .

If Best Buy is right, the Lynx measures:
Product Height - 2-1/2"
Product Width - 4-1/2"
Product Depth - 1/2"

The Stiletto 2 is (4.37" x 1.93" x 0.64")

That makes the Lynx (through a little Photoshop magic) look pretty much like this.
lynxvsstiletto.jpg

It's about the same length, a half inch wider, and a smidge (technical term) thinner than the Stiletto 2.

That makes it really close to the size of my old slab smart phone. That is going to be a very comfortable form factor.

Just as another comparison, if anyone has a sportster 4/5, the lynx will be almost exactly the same dimensions. slightly smaller depth.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
The Sirius FM Direct Adapters work with all the new radios since they all have an FM Out Port. This one will have that on the Car Kit.

I'm giddy like a school girl.
I'll have to save some questions to get me through the wait. :jj:
Thanks for sharing what you can T! :hatsoff:

I was going to ask, is this like a dock I could use with my sportster4/stiletto 2 dock? Guessing not, I dont know the XM docks very well. I was under the impression radios like the mirge, and the xm versions, as well as onyx and stuff shared the same dock. Confusion!

The Mirge and the entire XM Xpress series share the same docking compatibility, but other than the SXABB1 boombox, those docks would not fit a Sirius plug and play.

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
The Starmate 5 is WAY better and less $ than the Starmate 8 in my opinion. However I'm pretty sure the Starmate 8 may use the XM Xpress Docks. If that's the case it's a good transition radio. So if someone gets that and say the radio dies in a few years it should be easy to replace with say an Edge or something and not have to change docking stations. But that's assuming the Starmate 8 uses Onyx/Xpress docks, which I hope it does.

I found out the Starmate 8 doesn't use the xpress docks so scratch that. Don't see an upside unless people like the look of it better and the color screen.

Satradiodude

Aug 7, 2011
Is the startmate 8 a "Sirius" based unit?
With the new radios "edge" and "lynx"- they should be compatible with either a sirius or XM subscription if they are the "2.0" based series?- I go to the website and the link for Edge shows accessories for "XM" only- except the boombox, why would they come out with an "XM" only type of unit- if existing Sirius subscribers may want they new channels- when I looked at the physical box of the Edge it says "siriusXM" compatible.
SiriusXM Edge Dock & Play Radio with Vehicle Kit

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
So, this thing ships with no docks and has no true portability. That means out of the box, it's only good for wifi.

Therefore, will the love and radio replays functionality work off the wifi? Or will it be live satellite only, meaning that it's a virtual brick until you pony up for a dock?

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Ya, that's the big question I think. Do you absolutely need the dock. The stiletto's didn't come with a home dock correct? The inno's did, and are actually portable if you live in a big city. As do the XMp3's.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
So SXM 2.0 has a WiFi chip ... not a 3G or 4G chip? You will need to be in a hotspot to connect? Hopefully it won't have the same issues the SL2 has if the hotspot requires a confirmation page.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
You don't need a dock. All you need is Wifi. Load up content onto it. Take it for a stroll.

So SXM 2.0 has a WiFi chip ... not a 3G or 4G chip? You will need to be in a hotspot to connect? Hopefully it won't have the same issues the SL2 has if the hotspot requires a confirmation page.

I would love to take a portable radio for a stroll, on my bike without any antenna features. Yea wifi is the way to go, but wifi isn't available everywhere. Some people don't live in a big city, where there probably are tons of hotspots where it can work for some people. But here in Phoenix a big city, but I know one giant wifi hotspot and that is in the downtown area. But I don't hang out around that area, my stroll would be in my house or backyard, where I can pick up my own wifi signal.

Sorry if I went off track, but I wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I would love to take a portable radio for a stroll, on my bike without any antenna features. Yea wifi is the way to go, but wifi isn't available everywhere. Some people don't live in a big city, where there probably are tons of hotspots where it can work for some people. But here in Phoenix a big city, but I know one giant wifi hotspot and that is in the downtown area. But I don't hang out around that area, my stroll would be in my house or backyard, where I can pick up my own wifi signal.

I think you would need WiFi to load up content not to listen. Sort of like Slacker and their cached stations.

robhurlburt

Oct 15, 2008
if you can only connect the device via wifi without a dock, does that mean you can't record anything? You can't record your shows with wifi on the stiletto....

IMO the partable satelite feature is not a big deal to me, the stiletto is virtually useless in portable mode. i just listen to my recorded content. My biggest issue is the size, as i run and go to the gym with my stiletto. I think the stiletto is already to big for this use.