Scotch Sampler

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Here's some leftover scraps: songs I've liked over the years, that I've been reminded of lately, by hearing on the radio.

We're going way back to '92 for this perfect rocker from multi-instrumentalist Matthew Sweet. On the album, he performs all tracks himself (vocals and instruments), except for the solo guitar. This live performance is from the Dennis Miller Show, which I didn't know existed.

Even further back ('89) is this great mood piece from The Cure, Fascination Street, performed masterfully here in 2004

Jumping to 2010 for the sophomore album from the underrated band Vampire Weekend, here's the catchy tune Cousins

Also from 2010 - with an awesome 2011 performance here - are the high energy garage rockers The Soft Pack with Answer to Yourself

Finally, going back to 2007 for this performance from funk-alt rockers MuteMath, it's their big hit Typical

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Mathew Sweet is great. I saw him in a club back in 2000 or so. It would be fun to see him again sometime.
The Cure announced a tour. I'd like to see them too, but I don't know if they will get close enough. Reeves Gabrels has been playing guitar for them. (Tin Machine, David Bowie, and some others.)

I'm not much of a fan of Vampire Weekend. They come off like a Lacrosse team with a pocket full of roofies on their way to a frat party to me.

I do dig Mute Math though.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I guess Vampire Weekend is one of those College-oriented bands that you either like or don't. I like their unique sound, interesting lyrics, reggae/ska tempos, and live performance chops. To each their own. They're also a local favorite up here, with ties to Boston and Cape Cod, which they reference in their music.

The Soft Pack had 2 or 3 indie-radio airplay songs from that 1st album, and I think they did a 2nd album, but I don't know that they exist anymore.

MuteMath had several radio hits from that 1st album (Typical was their chart topper). They had a successful 2nd album, which included the song Electrify. Then they put out a very popular live album called Armistice, as they're known for giving studio-quality live performances, plus their drummer is an absolute madman. Their 3rd album had the song Blood Pressure which got airplay about 3 years ago, but I haven't heard much from them since.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I guess Vampire Weekend is one of those College-oriented bands that you either like or don't. I like their unique sound, interesting lyrics, reggae/ska tempos, and live performance chops. .....
I wanted to like them for those exact reasons, but something didn't quite hold for me. Like you said, to each his own. I like a ton of stuff that most people don't.

The Mute Math drummer is an ANIMAL! Letterman's reaction is awesome. He doesn't give praise like that unless he really likes what a band is doing. He plays drums too, so he has an appreciation for what goes into it.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
MuteMath is (or was) definitely a great band. Here's another one of their hits, Spotlight, that shows how well they perform live

And the lead singer is also an awesome keyboardist on Tell Your Heart Heads Up

and here's Darren King on drums, BTW his signature thing is duct-taping the headphones to his head