Serial Podcast

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
serial-social-logo.png

Serial

so this thing is blowing (has blown) up. i read it gets over a million dl's per week and thats huge for a podcast. they are 9 episodes in now but i just started this week.

the show centers around a murder case from 99 about a high school kid who was convicted of killing his girlfriend after he was dumped a month or so prior. the host narrates us through a series of interviews and some conjecture relating to the case.

its a very solid listen. its like a true detective type show but its real and its a podcast.

whenever i hear about a case like this i tend to side with the officials and thats the case here. its pretty clear that the host tinks the man is probably not guilty. in this case a lot of it is centered around this really short (20 min) period of time that seems to be the key to his innocence or guilt. its kinda nuts to expect anyone to remember a specific segment of time 15 years ago but somehow this show makes it really compelling.

whats great about the show is all the interviews. the host talks to the convicted killer a ton through calls to and from the jail. she also talks to a ton of both his and the victims friends and family. she also read through a bunch of the testimony.

if u have some time give it a listen. even though i dont really agree with the hosts point of view its a really compelling show. one of the best new crime dramas out there and its not even a tv show or movie.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I have checked out this podcast late last year, earlier this year and and the case is very interesting to listen to. I can't say there any possibility that Adnan Syed might or might have murdered his former ex-girlfriend?

But I saw this story on the net.

Judge reopens 'Serial' case; new evidence to be introduced - Yahoo News

A Maryland judge has agree to reopen the case of Adnan Syed, whose conviction in the death of his ex-girlfriend became the subject of the popular podcast "Serial."

Syed was convicted in 2000 in the strangulation of Hae Min Lee, his former high school sweetheart, and sentenced to life in prison. He was 17 at the time of her death and is now 35. Last year, "Serial" drew millions of listeners as it explored the case in detail and questioned whether he got a fair trial.

Baltimore Circuit Judge Martin Welch ruled Friday that Syed should be allowed to introduce the testimony of a potential alibi witness and evidence that calls into question the reliability of cellphone tower data. Prosecutors used the cellphone data to link Syed to the Baltimore park where Lee's body was found.

"Reopening the post-conviction proceedings would be in the interests of justice for all parties," Welch wrote.

A hearing will be scheduled within 10 days. The Maryland Attorney General's Office, which had argued against reopening the case, will represent the state. A spokesman for the office declined to comment on the judge's ruling.

The alibi witness, Asia McClain, said in an affidavit earlier this year that she was in a library with Syed when Lee was killed. McClain was never interviewed by Cristina Gutierrez, the lawyer who represented Syed at trial. Gutierrez was disbarred in 2001 and died in 2004. Syed's current attorney, C. Justin Brown, has argued that his client had ineffective counsel.

According to Brown, the state used cellphone data to trace incoming calls from Syed despite a written warning from AT&T that only outgoing calls could be reliably traced.

Prosecutors argued that Syed became inconsolably jealous after Lee began dating someone else. There were no eyewitnesses to her slaying, but a former classmate testified that he helped Syed dispose of Lee's body, which was found a month after she was killed.