Should They Expand The Cfp To 8 Teams?

Should they expand the CFP to 8 teams?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

machpost

Feb 18, 2009
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it the plan all along to eventually expand the number of teams?

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I voted No.

I don't think the FBS is built to have a playoff with more than 4 teams.

The school near where I work is in the NCAA Div 2 playoff. They are ranked #1 in their bracket.

2018 Division II Football | NCAA.com

Even after an 11 game regular season schedule, they would have to play 14 games if they make the finals.

15 if they weren't ranked #1 in their bracket.

Minnesota State Athletics

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
1 Alabama vs 8 UCF
2 Clemson vs 7 Michigan
3 Notre Dame vs 6 Ohio State
4 Oklahoma vs 5 Georgia

Hell I'd even go for 12 teams with 4 wild cards and then give the 1 and 2 seeds a bye.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
1 Alabama vs 8 UCF
2 Clemson vs 7 Michigan
3 Notre Dame vs 6 Ohio State
4 Oklahoma vs 5 Georgia

Hell I'd even go for 12 teams with 4 wild cards and then give the 1 and 2 seeds a bye.

They have a hard enough time selling tickets to the semifinals games. They would be playing to empty stadiums if they expanded past four teams

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
They have a hard enough time selling tickets to the semifinals games. They would be playing to empty stadiums if they expanded past four teams
They did quit playing games on New Year's Eve night when everyone is out of the house, so that's a start. Sports ratings are beginning to decline to begin with so it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't a ratings winner.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I guess take all the major conferences 8 or 16 and have the conference champs advance in a playoff format.

As for example, if some team from the Sun Belt or Mountain conference defeats Alabama, I wouldn't be complaining.

Reactions: semipenguin

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
Actually I don't think the ratings for the playoffs are bad. They just get inflated when the Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl host because you get the traditional bowl crowd on New Years Day plus all the new college football playoff junkies watching. The other bowls don't have that type of following so it looks like the ratings have dropped.

Reactions: semipenguin

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
The whole reason that was, is because Santa Clara is essentially Silicon Valley, nerd central. Where very few people if anyone cares about sports. Same problem the Pac-12 championship game had (also held there). Also the reason why the 49ers (the home team for the NFL at that stadium) can't draw flies.

Honestly I think the system should be 8 teams. 6 teams from FBS, with two at large bids for the best FCS teams (think UCF and probably App State or somebody like that) with the Top 2 teams getting a bye in the first round.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Commissioners say no significant change ahead for College Football Playoff

“From the SEC’s chair, the four-team College Football Playoff has achieved exactly what it was stated up front,” said SEC commissioner Greg Sankey after the first of two days of meetings. “I’ve not heard a variance from the principals. ... I think the board of managers, the presidents, were very clear in where we are.”

During a meeting in March, the SEC’s presidents and chancellors voted “to support the four-team football playoff,” South Carolina president Harris Pastides told 247Sports. “... After playing a rugged season, the last thing these great student athletes need is to play yet another football game. That is something I’m confident all five power conferences will be supportive of.”

Said Sankey: “It works well. Has worked well. Is working well. Continues to work well. Every year we’ve learned about how to (better) manage and present the College Football Playoff overall. … Overall it continues to be a really healthy endeavor.”