SIRIUS and XM power connectors

mcf57

Dec 5, 2008
I have a Stratus 6 hooked up in a vehicle, but it is using a Starmate 5's vehicle kit (for the windsheild mount). Plus, it is plugged into the car's AUX input so no need for the Power Connect system.

I recently got an XM onyX radio and it came with the power connect adapter/system as well. Its power connect cord looks identical to the SIRIUS one. I might want to use the onyX radio in two different vehicles & also use it with the power connect system. I was hoping I could use the two power connect cords I have with this one XM radio. Even though they came with different radios, can these two power connect cords essentially be interchangeable & used with an XM radio? Or are they still totally different systems?

I realize I would have to probably get some sort of additional XM car cradle that uses the power connect system as well, but was hoping I could use this one part since its essentially an extra piece of hardware I have.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
The 5v from your stratus 6 will work in the onyx radios docking station. They are basically the same thing. The older standard sirius 5v adapters have a much smaller plug and will not fit into power connect docks.

mcf57

Dec 5, 2008
Yea, I noticed how these Stratus 6 and onyX power connections are bigger than the Starmate 5's was. This newer design has allowed me to also hook up a universal AC adapter I have to the Stratus 6's car docking station to essentially make it a home docking station as well. No need to get the SIRIUS Stratus 6 home kit.