Sirius XM app reaches 1 million downloads - without Howard Stern

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Sirius XM app soars even without Howard Stern

by Mel Martin on Jul 6th 2009
siriusxm7-6-90.jpg
Sirius XM reports today that the iPhone app [App Store] it released June 18th has become the top free download in the Music Category on iTunes.

It has been grabbed more than 1 million times either by Sirius XM subscribers or people who did not have Sirius hardware and simply wanted to pay the US$13.00 a month fee for access to the 120 plus channels available.

"Reaching more than 1 million downloads so quickly is a strong testament to our world-class programming and SIRIUS XM's instant brand recognition," said Scott Greenstein, President and Chief Content Officer of SIRIUS XM Radio. "Our goal is to give people access to the best audio entertainment wherever they go with what we think is the best music and audio entertainment application available on the App Store."

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
I was one of them only I didn't know prior to downloading the app that Howard wasn't available through the app. If I HAD known, I would NOT have downloaded the app.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I wonder how many are downloading it BECAUSE there's no Howard Stern?

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
It would be interesting to know how many apps have not been deleted and are still active in 90 days.

I played around with it for the free trial period then deleted it. As much as I like the music on 90's on 9 and a few of the niche channels, the DJs really ruined it. Back to Slacker.

ctkatz

Oct 11, 2008
so what if it has been downloaded over 1 million times. how many of those people downloaded the app thinking they could get free stuff only to find out they had to pay for a subscription? or how many who had subs with recievers that also included an online subscription downloaded only to find out they had to have a premium subscription to use it? or thought they would have stern?

i think those three groups would knock out about 450,000 from that total who are still actively using it now.

when i was listening to nhl home ice last week, i heard ads for the sirixm online app. the language they used was quite telling i think. they said the app was free with a paid subscription to (sat service)'s premium internet stream, something that was quite conveniently left out at the app's launching.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Something tells me that Howard will add these apps to his sphere of influence and listeners.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I think the point is that the application has been downloaded that many times. No where does it say they've gained 1 million new listeners, the point is that over a 1 million people regardless of what they thought they would get or wouldn't get decided they would download this application. To read anything more than that into it is just making a lot of assumptions. I for one could care less that Howard is not on this application! I have used it a great deal since downloading it and in fact find myself listening to SiriusXM much more now than before. I plan to keep it on my iPhone and I have a feeling I am not alone in that.

How many downloaded it and then got all pissed because Howard was not on there and deleted is irrelevant to this number being reported.

I doubt there will ever be any specific data in regards to how many uninstall or continue to use the application.

I've downloaded many applications and found that they were junk or I didn't like them for this reason or that one, so I uninstalled them. But my download still counted towards the max number of downloads. So, what is the big deal?

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Is the SiriusXM app only a US thing? :scratch:

Can others who have iPhones or iPod Touch, who live in other countries download and subscribe to SiriusXM? :right:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Is the SiriusXM app only a US thing? :scratch:

Can others who have iPhones or iPod Touch, who live in other countries download and subscribe to SiriusXM? :right:

I would think to subscribe that you'd have to live in the USA in other words have a US address with a US credit card.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I would think to subscribe that you'd have to live in the USA in other words have a US address with a US credit card.

That's too bad. I think opening it up to other counties would be a good thing :)

I told Taylor that if I had an iPhone, I'd get this and maybe not listen to my iPod as much while I'm out and about :D

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
That's too bad. I think opening it up to other counties would be a good thing :)

I told Taylor that if I had an iPhone, I'd get this and maybe not listen to my iPod as much while I'm out and about :D

I am pretty sure there is an FCC restriction on this, not so much a Sirius one! LOL

I have used the fire out of this application on my iPhone 3GS. We were at the fireworks the other night and I was listening to Sirius through my headphones. I had a buddy who looked at my screen and he said? I know you aren't listen to Sat Radio through your iPhone. I said.. YES I am! He was like HOLY CRAP!

Even on The Edge the Sirius XM application works good. We are getting 3G any day now in fact it actually has a target date by AT&T of August 18. They have put up several 3G towers all over the area in recent months. So, I am ready, I think one of the towers is like right down from my house, so that will really make me happy if that pans out to be the case.

Reactions: semipenguin

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I am pretty sure there is an FCC restriction on this, not so much a Sirius one! LOL

I think it is a Sirius XM one. In Canada, they have their bastard children Sirius Canada and XM Canada offering their own web offerings and competing with each other. Having a combined Sirius XM app may cause issues and complexity they chose not to deal with.

ctkatz

Oct 11, 2008
I think the point is that the application has been downloaded that many times. No where does it say they've gained 1 million new listeners, the point is that over a 1 million people regardless of what they thought they would get or wouldn't get decided they would download this application. To read anything more than that into it is just making a lot of assumptions. I for one could care less that Howard is not on this application! I have used it a great deal since downloading it and in fact find myself listening to SiriusXM much more now than before. I plan to keep it on my iPhone and I have a feeling I am not alone in that.

How many downloaded it and then got all pissed because Howard was not on there and deleted is irrelevant to this number being reported.

I doubt there will ever be any specific data in regards to how many uninstall or continue to use the application.

I've downloaded many applications and found that they were junk or I didn't like them for this reason or that one, so I uninstalled them. But my download still counted towards the max number of downloads. So, what is the big deal?
it leads to a false sense of quality. just because something is popular, doesn't mean its better, which is something you can say about a lot of things. i do not for one second believe that just because over a million people downloaded an app, it must be the greatest app ever. its a bullshit argument, and i think that you can see where i'm coming from on this. the same standard can be applied to anything in the app store from apps to music to podcasts. popular does not mean better.

i know there will be a lot of people who point to ratings and these are the people who actually look at stuff before they get something, but then again, when you have a number like 1,000,000+ downloads combined with the weight of an app store ad and full color ads in national papers like usa today versus what this app is rated (i'm going to arbitrarily use 2.5, i don't know what it is) and the comments on the app, which do you think the average person is going to give more weight to their decision?

one million downloads means nothing. this only means that one million people have a limited time opportunity to listen to sirixm programming before the trial runs out. if a large majority of those people, like 80% discontinue using the app for whatever reason (its no longer new and not used, don't want to subscribe, deleted for whatever reason, etc.) i believe you can genuinely call the app a failure. you aren't making any money from the free trial if no one subscribes because of it. retentions is the more important and unreported number here- sirixm only makes money if people continue to use this app. if people are bailing at the end of the free trial, yes the download number went up but it does not show the true usage numbers which is far more important. if i were a stockholder, that would be the first thing i would ask, how many people are still using the iphone app after the 7 day free trial?

unlike any of the other apps that are free to download, this has money tied to it. and unlike any of the pay-for apps in the app store they don't have your money right away. its a bad situation sirixm put themselves in.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
i know there will be a lot of people who point to ratings and these are the people who actually look at stuff before they get something, but then again, when you have a number like 1,000,000+ downloads combined with the weight of an app store ad and full color ads in national papers like usa today versus what this app is rated (i'm going to arbitrarily use 2.5, i don't know what it is) and the comments on the app, which do you think the average person is going to give more weight to their decision?

I'm one of those people who takes comments on a particular site about a product with a king-size grain of salt. I only deleted the app because I'm not a subscriber and it doesn't fit my needs, and I don't want to have to get new e-mail aliases for 7-day free trials for the rest of eternity. If I were to resubscribe in some form or another (not out of the realm of possibility) I would probably keep it.

A lot of the negative responses for the app are based on the fact that Howard Stern got greedy and asked for more money to have his content added to the app. In a small way this shows that SiriusXM can do something right without the King of all has-been shock jocks being involved. Whether or not that translates to more subscribers, remains to be seen. Without the app the subscriber loss will be higher than it was before (about 400k loss if I recall correctly). Whether or not this saves the company, who knows. With the recent advertising blitz, it certainly won't be without trying.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I think it is a Sirius XM one. In Canada, they have their bastard children Sirius Canada and XM Canada offering their own web offerings and competing with each other. Having a combined Sirius XM app may cause issues and complexity they chose not to deal with.

Canada has different rules and isn't governed by the FCC here in the states. So, I think you are incorrect! The FCC here in the states also have no say over what those Canadian counterparts do, but I do know before Sirius and XM could partner with these Canadian companies the FCC had to approve it. Heck I remember when the FCC had to grant permission to Sirius XM to be sold in Alaska because for awhile it was restricted.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
it leads to a false sense of quality. just because something is popular, doesn't mean its better, which is something you can say about a lot of things. i do not for one second believe that just because over a million people downloaded an app, it must be the greatest app ever. its a bullshit argument, and i think that you can see where i'm coming from on this. the same standard can be applied to anything in the app store from apps to music to podcasts. popular does not mean better.

If one has a false sense of quality that just means they aren't paying attention in my opinion. The explanation for the application is pretty much spelled out and it seems pretty clear to me that it says you'll need to subscribe or already be a subscriber with a premium sub.

I don't know where you got this stuff about it being the greatest app ever, but I've not seen anything that lead me to believe that as there are many apps that I find much more useful in my daily life. Still this certainly adds value to my subscription and since I was already a premium subscriber has allowed me to make use of Sirius in places where I had no ability to do so before.

The ratings are worthless in terms of the real value of this application. Why because folks rated it not based on the software itself, but because Howeird wasn't on it. I never buy into ratings on these applications anyway, if anyone follows the app store you know that those ratings are bogus at best on most of the apps. It doesn't scratch my ass or wind my watch so this thing is junk! I mean if you think about most consumer reviews they are so biased that their value is really limited.

The fact is folks have downloaded it a million plus times, how many continue to use it or not in the long term is totally irrelevant because having this free app available has cost Sirius XM what exactly? If this gains them some premium subs or make folks like myself happy that already subscribe it is a win win.

I think saying an app failed because Howeird isn't on it is shortsighted at best. There is no way this application can be considered a failure even if the only thing it does it bring convenience to folks like me or others that have the iPhone that want the ability to listen to Sirius XM while on the go. Will it be a million, no but it doesn't have to be in order to still be a good thing. Personally I think this will get some folks to subscribe to the premium service. I do think their internet only service is over priced and if they had done better there some may have subscribed to the internet only service. But $12.95 is just too much and shortsighted on Sirius XM's part. However, I think they didn't want a bunch of us just subscribing to the internet only for lesser amount than we are paying now.

Anyway, you'll have to come up with more reason than you have to call this software a failure, right now you've failed to do so in my opinion!