Skydock - I like the idea but wish they'd change...

Discussion in 'XM Plug and Plays' started by Brad Bishop, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Brad Bishop

Brad Bishop Member

I like the idea of the SkyDock. I wish they wouldn't have put the XM Tuner into the device but, instead, had it use the MiniTuner.

The reason for this is that you could then have a SkyDock Home and just toss the MiniTuner into that (along with your iTouch/iPhone) and use it at home.

There's probably some thinking of:
    - people don't listen to the radio at home, much less XM
    - it's hard to get the signal into the house because then you need a repeater

Ultimately, I wish each radio just had an XM MiniTuner slot and then you're basically swapping out displays/interfaces as you need them. I think the MiniTuner is on it's way out, just kind of sucks that it never did catch on nor was it widely used.

2. jmcmahan

jmcmahan Member

The way the ID is built into the Skydock entices you to spend a little more to listen online. I'm sure that thought was in mind with the design team.

3. Brad Bishop

Brad Bishop Member

I didn't think about that - you're probably right (from XM's point of view): They can use their iPod with internet streaming to get XM in the home...

4. zevious

zevious Member

3 things.

1. Sirius XM makes money if you have to have separate solutions for separate locations.
    2. The Minituner seems to be being phased out.
    3. I believe the bulk of Satellite Radio listening is in the car. Most people have other entertainment in the home. So most will be happy with the single solution.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  5. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

That is 3 things isn't it? LOL

In response to number 3. The thing about the XM SkyDock is that you aren't bound by a single solution. You can't listen to live satellite while docked in the car and you can then listen to the Sirius XM Premium App to stream at home or office. Not to mention that the iPod Touch and or iPhone in and of itself opens tons of entertainment options for you, that can be streamed at home or in your vehicle while docked in the XM SkyDock.

For me the Skydock iPhone/iPod Touch setup is the very best solution I've ever owned!

6. zevious

zevious Member

Smart. ass. lol Something gets lost between the thought and the typing sometimes. I fixed it for ya :)

Yes, I know that people can stream at home using the Premium app. But that still goes back to point 1. Sirius XM makes more money because you have to pay extra for the streaming.

But even so, I don't think the average satellite radio user cares that much about having satellite radio in the house.

7. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

hehehe, don't I know how it is when something gets lost between th though and typing...

Exacty they do make more money off the streaming app since you must subscribe to the premium service, but I do think that is the whole point.

You maybe right about folks not caring that much about having it in the house. I know from my own personal expereince I do listen to it a lot more in the car than at home.

8. Brad Bishop

Brad Bishop Member

I have it in my home fed by a Delphi XM Repeater (even have an extra one as backup) and I do enjoy it. That being said, I bet if you walked into most homes the FM tuner is hardly ever used on most recievers - My guess is that XM would be even less likely to be used (unless the receiver was near an external wall where they could get some signal or they were like us and would go through the trouble of having the repeater - I think we're talking fringe of the fringe, though).

9. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

I agree with you Brad. I know for a long time I use to fight getting reception in my house. I thought how many people really would be willing to go through all this crap to listen to sat radio. Clearly not very many!

I do occasionally listen to streaming XM via the Sirius XM Premium App, but I have so many other choices like Slacker, Pandora, WunderRadio, that I often times don't even think about XM.

Thanks for the reply!

10. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

I got my 2nd Skydock today! Bought it from Shab, so now I don't have to move mine two or 3 times a week as I had been doing. It will be nice because basically it becomes a permenant install. Fortunately the stalk is the perfect length for use in my xB's.

This dock had not been updated, soon as I docked my iPod Touch she updated. Apparently whoever had it canceled the sub, but it was still working. I'll ride the pony for as long as it last. :)

Love these Skydocks!

I do like Brad's idea about the mini tuner, because if I want sat radio on both I must have 2 subs, which I hate doing. Since I use my company car a lot more than my personal. I may just not subscribe this new one and put it in my personal vehicle. This way I won't have to subscribe, but will be able to use the dock to listen to Slacker.

11. zevious

zevious Member

So, YOU'RE the one who snagged this before I could. :p

Enjoy, the SkyDock is a great device, even if the XM portion is not activated.

12. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

It was ME Z :) LOL

Man when I seen that thing go up, I jumped on it. I knew at that price it wouldn't last long. I was not about to pay $100 bucks for one.

I found out why it is still working. Shab told me a few minutes ago that he had not killed his sub on it yet. I told him.... take your time! hehehe

13. Brad Bishop

Brad Bishop Member

After recently getting an iPhone I saw that Best Buy had the SkyDock on sale today so I picked one up.

So far:
    - I really like the interface. I wish my in-dash stereo had this interface and think that they should encourage an interface similar to this for new stereos.
    - The stalk is a little weird. I like that it fits securely inside the cigarette lighter but I don't like that it fits securely in the cigarette lighter. I wish they had some kind of ring that when you get it situated you could twist the ring and lock it in place (and little rubber pads could rotate out inside the cigarette lighter).
    - It's also a bit of work to get the stalk into the right position and this all depends on your dash.
    - I wish it would work with my Otterbox. It'll -just- fit sideways but the connections won't be made if you have the Otterbox on your iPhone.
    - I do like that you can play other audio sources through the SkyDock, though. That's really nice.
    - It is nice that it keeps things together (to a certain extent). You end up with less cables flopping around on your dash depending on how you set it up. It does look better and function better than the auto-docks for other XM/Sirius radios over the years in this regard.

14. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Brad I posted a quick review on an item called dockStubz, which will let you use any dock with the iPhone or iPod Touch with the any case including the Ottberbox. You may want to check it out.

I've got two of these docks, one activated one not. My installs are very clean and I was moving it from one vehicle to the other. In my Scion xB the stalk is actually perfect, but won't work at all in my sons newer XB.

I think the XM Skydock setup is absolutely the best setup to date for those that have an iPhone and/or iPod Touch.

15. Brad Bishop

Brad Bishop Member

Thanks - I just ordered one.

16. Brad Bishop

Brad Bishop Member

Any thoughts on loosening the rubber stoppers up?

I could cut a few of the prongs off the rubber 'gear' at the end. I've also thought about some kind of electrical lubricant.

I saw in another forum that some use the twisting motion while pulling out - This still feels like it's ripping apart my dash.

The problem is: I want it loose but not too loose.

Maybe some graphite will help? I'd think could help kill the electrical connection (as graphite isn't conductive) and it could also be a little messy with graphite floating about.

17. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

I would not mess with it period. I moved mine for about 3 months and after a few weeks of moving it pretty regularly those rubber stoppers actually soften up. It was easier to remove after that and I think if you cut those or mess with them, you'll end up with it being problematic. What I did when I first got it, was place two fingers on either side of the cig adapter and then slowly twisted it around and it would slide out. Don't just try to pull it straight out.

18. Brad Bishop

Brad Bishop Member

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to leave it as you suggested. My guess is that it'll soften/loosen up after some time. I pretty much plan to use it between my car and rental cars as needed.

I just took the time to get it mounted nicely in my car - running the satellite antenna wire and audio wire. I also used some 3M Dual-Lock (like heavy duty Velcro, but it's not Velcro - it's two plastic interlocking pieces. Good stuff for projects like this) and put a little circle on the back of the top of the stem (where it says XM) and then put a little patch on my dash (I don't have the foamy/soft dash) and it seems to steady it quite well plus it's easily removable.

Then I played with the interface. The interface is really slick. I really like what they did with it. Things make complete sense and they stuck with the Apple iPhone look and feel which was nice.

19. Brad Bishop

Brad Bishop Member

After having this for about two weeks my thoughts are about the same except I'm finding it annoying to plop my iPhone into it for each little trip.

This seems kind of petty but it's the way I work:

If I'm on a long drive, this thing is great. I put the iPhone in, I get the nice display/interface, my iPhone charges, and I'm happy.

If I'm running to the store, though.. Well, at this point I normally just leave my phone in my pocket. I don't really care about charging it on the way to the store but I've grown pretty accustomed to listening to XM Radio without having to do anything (turn the car on, the radio comes on and I'm set). With this, I have to pull it out of my pocket and place it in the dock and then of course do the reverse when I get there and then do it all again when I'm heading back home. While it isn't a lot (other people have far bigger problems to overcome) I do find it annoying.

Now, there are some who'll happily carry the PNPs over the years from home to the car to work, back to the car, and back home and never had a complaint. I'm the guy who buys one for home and buys one for the car so I don't have to screw with it.

So, at this point, I sort-of like it. I got the 3-month sub to try it out so I'll continue to use it until then.

20. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

This is why I have an iPod Touch. I talk way too much and use my phone even on long trips enough that I simply can't be bothered using my iPhone. However, I has an iPod Touch long before I had an iPhone, so I already had one.

I do find it a bit annoying, but I am one of those that have always made do with a single sub, because I am not paying for multiple subs just so I don't have to be bothered with not having to Plug and Play as I go. However, being I have an iPod Touch this limits how often I must do the PNP thing.