Skydock - I like the idea but wish they'd change...

Discussion in 'XM Plug and Plays' started by Brad Bishop, Jul 15, 2010.

1. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

Regardless of iTouch vs iPhone, I think you would be wise to remove it from the dock to avoid theft. I know theives have stolen Roady XTs which are next to useless by themselves. An iPhone or iTouch is a very attractive target.

2. zevious

zevious Member

I agree that it can be a pain using your iPhone if you get many calls.

The SkyDock is a better product using the iPhone though. Especially for those of us who are under the unlimited data plan. I can listen to Slacker, Pandora, Grooveshark or any other Internet source while driving in the car.

For me personally, this would be a great product even if I deactivated the SXM sub.

At the end of the day, it's great that the product will work with any iPhone and any iPod Touch. Thank you Steve for your "closed source" setup. ;)

3. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

I think the idea is to just run in real quick somewhere right now you have to totally remove your phone to have it with you. Having an iPod Touch I don't have any issues leaving it in my car while I run in real quick some place. I have a hat that I place on top of mine and really it isn't even noticeable.

Though ultimately you are correct in many areas I would not leave it long term for sure. However, it isn't so much about theft as it is about overheating it inside a hot car.

Agreed!

I too think it is a great product and in fact the Skydock in my personal car isn't subscribed as I refuse to get multiple subscriptions. So I use it for Slacker or MOG right now. Once Slacker goes on-demand I will eliminate MOG too.

4. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

Good additional reason not to leave the iProduct inside a car.

5. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

I actually left my iPod Touch 4 in my car recently. I ran into a store and they were busier than I expected. Ended up being in there an hour. When I got back to my car it was hot as hell inside. I started my car and the display on my iPod Touch said EXTREME TEMP and of course it wouldn't power on. Once I let the AC blow on it for a few minutes, she power right up. It pissed me off that I left it in there because one thing I know is extreme heat on electronics isn't good and of course certainly not good for the battery. Won't do that crap again!

6. voliconjoe

voliconjoe Well-Known Member

I just got the Skydock and it's probably the best Iphone app there is. I LOVE this dam thing...as for how SiriusXM is getting an additional $4/month for Stern...I mean SIRIUS...that's some bullshit right there.

But the Skydock with all the channels and the internet app is the best you can get for $22/month. I never lose signal now!

7. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

The All Access Plan gives you all the Channels available PLUS a Premium Internet Login for $199 per year, so it's about $16.50 per month or less than $18 a month with the Royalty Fees.

8. wickerbill

wickerbill Active Member

I ordered an iPhone 5 this morning. Looks like I'm going to have to pay the $30 for the dock adapter and hope that it's small enough to work with my skydock. Otherwise I guess I'll cancel the skydock sub and stream online.

9. zevious

zevious Member

The size of the adapter should be fine as I have a similar sized adapter on mine which allows me to dock my phone without taking the case off. My concern is whether the Skydock will work with the lightning adapter.

Please let us know.

10. wickerbill

wickerbill Active Member

I will. I will definitely at least buy an adapter to try it out. Based on what I have read about the adapter, it should work fine with the skydock at least with the interface. Only thing I'm worried about is how stable it will be given the height of the adapter and the longer iphone that will be sticking up so much higher. Hopefully Sirius XM will update the skydock with the lightning port sometime in the next six months. That may be expecting too much though.

11. zevious

zevious Member

Yeah, a new model would be awesome but I don't think that is going to happen.

I have not had any trouble with my current setup which has a similar height adapter but the iPhone 5 is a bit taller too.

Let me know how it goes. I am holding off on upgrading until I see how this works.