Slacker iOS App Update 4.0.119

Discussion in 'Slacker Radio' started by DAB, Feb 13, 2013.

1. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

New Logo

[​IMG]

What's New in Version 4.0.119

This version of Slacker Radio is all0new for iPhone, iPod and iPad featuring a new visual interface and the debut of the Slacker "Music Guide". Slacker listeners will discover more music, news, talk and sports than ever before. Look for the visual tile layout to view station, artist, album and song pages. Enjoy improved functionality and overall stability as you experience the most complete music service available.

http://youtu.be/t9FBj1r1k-A

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  2. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Oh I see the web site has been updated too. Surely like the new web site thus far better than the old one. Much nicer. I Like the iOS app better too. Though iPad doesn't currently have the music guide which sucks. I don't get them leaving that off the iPad.

3. TX WJ

TX WJ Intelligent Donkey

What a wonderful gift this am to have a new slacker to download.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk so give me a break!

4. TX WJ

TX WJ Intelligent Donkey

It's a bit disappointing that the iPad app did not change, I hope that they are not done with it. I really like the full screen album art view that Spotify has.

5. dlnester

dlnester Active Member

It looks very Windows 8-ish to me. Not sure how much I like the blue.

6. Brad Bishop

Brad Bishop Member

Yep - that's exactly what I thought. I really don't like the Win 8 look.

If I wanted the Win8 look I'd get a Windows phone.

7. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Win 8 is not my favorite but this is so much better than that old crappy GUI, I'll happily accept it. It easy to learn and works very well. Blue has grown on me.

DAB, sent with Tapatalk HD
    iPhone 5 32GB White / iPad Mini 32GB White

8. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

I like the new look.

Between listening to my own music collection and the Sirius XM app, I'd almost forgotten about Slacker.
    If nothing else this serves as a good reminder to give Slacker another listen.

Right now enjoying a Movin' Easy clone station I tried making a few years ago...

9. dlnester

dlnester Active Member

Too bad they don't have the option to change the color! Even the orange in the logo is better than the blue!

10. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I used it last night for a while while my Lynx was updating.
    It was ok.

I couldn't ban Pearl Jam from my Boombox 2.0 station that I had built though. It kept telling me I didn't have permissions to change images from a station that I hadn't built. I was on Firefox. I'll have to try again from IE.

11. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

I'm sure the look will grow on me at some point. From what I've seen of the mobile app it's actually not bad, that's what I use more often than not. The $3.99 price point is still there, and I may upgrade to premium before too long.

12. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

I am not happy. The GUI looks really crappy. I don't think the old one was great but the stuff that were wrong with it from a functionallity perspective are still wrong with the new one.

It doesn't work any worse and most of the time its off in the pocket so as long as the app is stable I will be ok for now.

13. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Yeah that would be a smart idea. I would have preferred the orange too. But then when Apple did the orange I read many people complain about that.

No way Slacker can satisfy everyone. Overall it's the right change!

14. KTMCDO

KTMCDO Member

They need to obtain more album licenses
    A few albums from slayer are unavailable

15. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

I have told this to several of their programmers over the years? What they do to keep their cost down is the only get the popular tracks off certain albums. So you can't get the full album. But then it goes even further than that, in some cases they can stream the full album, but only let you cache some songs from the album. Their licensing deal must really suck for them to do this. When you consider that services like MOG, Spotify, Rdio let you cache every song, every album.

I've tried to be totally pro Slacker for a long time, but that is a hard pill to swallow. I've made request to music adds and they never follow-up and unless you keep checking you don't know if they add it or not. MOG as an example, there is a lady named Laurie on their support forums. You put in a request with her, and she will contact the labels and then get back to you when you can expect that music to show up. I love Liquid Mind. MOG had no albums at all. Today they have every single Album that Liquid Mind has put out, which is about 8. Slacker has 4 of them, only the most recent. The list goes on an on.

I am excited for them with this new App and web site roll out. But once you begin using the service for awhile, you quickly identify their shortcomings via their library. It isn't that the library is bad its not, much better than Pandora, but not better than Spotify, MOG or Rdio.