Slacker Update for user with iOS4 problems

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I felt like it was important for those of us on DRC that have been impacted by issues to know that Slacker is working on this. It is also as I said early this isn't just impacted Slacker. I've had issues with Pandora, Rhapsody.

Update for user with iOS4 problems
by RomeE on Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:28 pm

Good afternoon,

We are continuing to chase down the problems. It does seem that the iOS4 will close out applications if the memory runs low. Therefore, the majority of the issues are on the older hardware (the 3G iphone and the 2nd gen iPod Touch).

This is not isolated to Slacker btw. There are many blogs out there recommending people with 3G iphone and 2nd Touches not to upgrade because of the slow down and issues with many applications, and the fact that those devices do not benefit from iOS4 as much as the new hardware does.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... D=11858459
My Experience With iOS4 On An iPhone 3G | Cult of Mac ... e-3g/49280
Should You Upgrade your Old iPhone or iPod Touch to iOS4 | Notebooks.com ... h-to-ios4/
iOS 4: five surprises about installation, email, Twitter and libraries : Beatweek Magazine ... e-warning/

And it's not just us, other music services are also displaying problems..

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sh ... ?p=8026203
http://www.last.fm/group/Last.fm+for+iP ... 2/_/631333

In addition, people with 3GS phones and 3rd generation touches have reported very slow devices after the upgrades, as well as audio problems (unrelated to Slacker).

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... 5&tstart=0

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... 5&tstart=0

So, we are looking at things, and we are trying to see if there are things we can do to make the situation better. But it also may need some work from Apple, in helping to determine why the iOS4 is breaking with the OS3 version was working so great.

Rest assured, we are hearing your comments and feedback, and we are actively working different angles in the application development right now to try and find ways that we can help fix the problem, but it may take some time, especially since the iOS4 is so dramatically different than the previous OS releases.

Best regards,
Rome E
Slacker Support

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
It seems to me that the issue seems to be iOS4 on non iPhone4s. The iPhone4 has more memory than the 3, 3G or 3GS does it not?

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I have a 3GS and caching is back to normal. All 25 stations cached today without an issue. Whatever it was, they either fixed it, or it fixed itself.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I have a 3GS and caching is back to normal. All 25 stations cached today without an issue. Whatever it was, they either fixed it, or it fixed itself.

I don't know, but I would bet they have been doing some backend work to make all this stuff run smoother with iOS4.

taybuch

Jan 6, 2009
Lawrence, KS
It's nice to hear that Slacker is working on this. Before the update the enabled backgrounding for Slacker, the iPhone app was rock solid. Now, it seems like it crashes for me about every 20 minutes.

It's pretty frustrating, since Slacker has become my main source of music at work and in my car. On the plus side, it's forced me to consider the SkyDock for the car...:)

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
It doesn't crash for me after 5 songs anymore, which is nice. It's back in my good graces. I had 'Chill Non-Vocal' playing last night when I went to sleep and it was still playing when I got up this morning.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
It doesn't crash for me after 5 songs anymore, which is nice. It's back in my good graces. I had 'Chill Non-Vocal' playing last night when I went to sleep and it was still playing when I got up this morning.

Are you now running iOS4.01?

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
No, but that reminds me, I'll have to download that tomorrow.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Well, hell, the crashing issues are back, and now the song SKIPS before it crashes, like a bad CD. I'll try downloading 4.01 tomorrow (haven't yet) see if that somehow fixes the problem. If not, this might be enough to get me to rethink renewing for another year. This really affects my enjoyment of the service.
Posted via Mobile Device

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Well, hell, the crashing issues are back, and now the song SKIPS before it crashes, like a bad CD. I'll try downloading 4.01 tomorrow (haven't yet) see if that somehow fixes the problem. If not, this might be enough to get me to rethink renewing for another year. This really affects my enjoyment of the service.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well you just recently signed up didn't you. I think they will eventually resolve this. I think they are likely going to have to work with Apple to figure it out.

My son and I neither one have had any issues (iPhone 4 and 3GS). Just on the 3G have we had issues.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Posted via Mobile Device

4.0.1 is the fix Apple is pushing to 'correct' their signal bar issues on the iPhone 4. I doubt it will have much effect.

On the Slacker forums, some people have had some luck running a memory sweeping program in the forground while Slacker runs in the background. Not sure why a memory sweeping app is needed. That should be something the OS is doing but it evidently isn't.

zevious

Oct 12, 2008
Why not just use Pandora? It's working great for me using iPhone 3GS/iOS4.01. No garbage collection necessary. It's cheap: $36/year.

From the first time I ever used Slacker (website and later desktop app), it's been buggy. In fact, IIRC, it was a memory hog problem then as well. Their handhelds went over so well they killed those off and now their iPhone app is buggy. There seems to be a pattern here. Hopefully, they can get a handle on the problem because it's good to have the competition and people obviously like their music catalog.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
It gives me great comfort to know that THEY know there's a problem and are attempting to fix it. In the meantime, I installed 4.01, uninstalled the Slacker app, re-installed it, and am in the process of re-caching all 25 stations. I also adjusted the setting that has it switch to a lower setting if there is audio stuttering, see if that fixes the problem.

Besides this little mess, I've always liked Slacker over Pandora, it just gives me more choice to what I choose to listen to. And i've heard that even with the $36 plan you don't get unlimited skips? Then what are we paying for? I like Pandora, but it ranks a distant second to Slacker.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
AAAAAND it crashes again with no cached stations. Getting very old! :rolleyes:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Why not just use Pandora? It's working great for me using iPhone 3GS/iOS4.01. No garbage collection necessary. It's cheap: $36/year.

I actually use both, but Pandora isn't nearly the service that Slacker is for creating custom stations. If all you do is listed to station that a pre-configured it would probably be okay. But a person like me for example has invested a lot of time creating stations. Pandora can't touch those stations.

The latest update for Pandora seems to have addressed the crashing issue, but some on the 3G are still having issues.

AAAAAND it crashes again with no cached stations. Getting very old! :rolleyes:

Last I heard they are working on reducing their memory footprint and hoping to release an update. They are uncertain if this is going to resolve the issue. I think they also are trying to work with Apple on this. Apple gets in no hurry I would assume to help Dev Teams when they have problems.

What I don't understand is why this only seems to be an issue on some 3GS's while others work just fine. I know just about all 3G's do it.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
What I don't understand is why this only seems to be an issue on some 3GS's while others work just fine. I know just about all 3G's do it.

Maybe all 3GS's were not created equal. Could a late manufactured 3GS be different than an early 3GS?

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Maybe all 3GS's were not created equal. Could a late manufactured 3GS be different than an early 3GS?

That I have absolutely no idea about. I got my 3GS which my son is using upon release of the 3GS in June of 2009. So it would have been an early release. Not sure when Jon's mother good hers.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
That I have absolutely no idea about. I got my 3GS which my son is using upon release of the 3GS in June of 2009. So it would have been an early release. Not sure when Jon's mother good hers.

It was probably about a month and a half before the iPhone 4 release. I took it over shortly after 4.0 was out. Pretty late model, you'd think they'd have the kinks worked out. The thing is, it works out exact opposite of what others are reporting. Pocket Tunes works, Pandora works, last.fm I don't really play around with enough to determine, but every other radio program I use works. Slacker is the only one giving me problems. As dumb luck would have it, it's the only one I ponied up $49 for. :mad: