Sony announces new smaller and lighter PS3

Discussion in 'Games & Consoles' started by Wolf, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Wolf

Wolf Manspreading on DRC

Sony announces new smaller and lighter PlayStation 3, arrives September 25th

[​IMG]

While we’re still waiting word on the PlayStation 4, Sony (SNE) is hoping we’ll make do with another revision of its PlayStation 3 console. The company on Wednesday announced that its new CECH-4000 model, slated for release this fall, will be 20% smaller and 25% lighter than the previous model and will also ditch the slot-loading optical drive in favor of a disc-tray that slides open sideways.

The new PS3 will be available in two models: a 250GB that will sell for $269.99 and a 500GB model that will sell for $299.99. The 250GB model, which launches on September 25th, will be sold in a bundle with the game Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception and come with a $30 voucher for digital content for the game DUST 514. Shoppers looking for the 500GB PS3 will have to wait until October 30th when it’s available as a bundle with Assassin’s Creed III.

Of course, users will still be able to replace the default hard drive with their own 2.5-inch drive. Sony’s new PS3 fits comfortably with its 10-year console strategy and follows the company’s tradition of reducing the volume of its consoles as the years go on (a move we’ve seen Sony pull off with the PlayStation 2 a number of times).

2. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I think I'm going to go stand in line for this one.

;)

Vargas likes this.
  3. Wolf

Wolf Manspreading on DRC

lol, I'm just waiting for the PS4.

4. Vargas

Vargas Molon Labe!

But why not wait in line?

It's thinner and lighter and possibly slighty faster than the previous model while having a slightly new look with a totally revolutionay new way to put a disc in the machine!!!!

Come on guys--let's all get in line!!!

PS4 should be announced in 2013 with a late 2013 release date.

5. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

LOL. If you have the old one, and it's in good shape, I agree, why stand in line. There aren't any NEW features to write home about. If your old one having troubles, or you have an older model, or you just have cash and time to kill, then what the hell, do what floats your boat.

6. blyons200

blyons200 These pretzels are making me thirsty.

I am definitely buying one of these. With how much I fly can you imagine how much of a pain in the ass it is to carry a PS3 and a laptop around the airport? Even the old slim is too big. This one I can just shove in my suitcase! Not gonna stand in any line, but will be picking one up.

7. Vols44

Vols44 Well-Known Member

How is the PS3 slim and is it worth the investment with a Nov 13' targeted release date for the PS4?