Sony X Series Walkman

Savage1969

Jun 8, 2009
Surprised there's no chatter about this unit yet.

16GB or 32GB, touch screen, built-in wifi, auto download your podcasts, up to 3 Slacker stations with built-in Slacker app, YouTube app, built-in FM radio, PS3 compatible, etc.

Official site: NWZ-X1061FBSMP | 32GB X Series Walkman® Video MP3 Player | Sony | Sony Style USA

CNET preview with video clip: Slacker and YouTube infiltrate Sony X-Series Walkman | MP3 Insider - CNET Reviews

I realize it's a bit pricey, but it looks like Sony is finally getting serious about mobile multimedia. Won't really know until it drops in stores, but looks cool from the preview link.

It also raises serious questions about Slacker, or maybe I should say actually answers to questions. It was one thing to have Apple support (it only streams), but this unit will actually cache similar to G2 or BB. I was thrown off balance that Sony would support that considering the conspiracy theories being thrown around the last 6 months or so regarding Slacker and it's ability to retain artists/labels on cached hardware. I for one am no longer as concerned with all these major supporters.

I am curious of others thoughts on this unit which should drop around 06/20/09.

Savage1969

Jun 8, 2009
Just to update: Sony just today revised their site to state they are in stock and shipping starting tomorrow (06/25/09).

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
This is supposed to be a great MP3 player with a fantastic OLED screen.

My only problem is the price---$400 is pretty high.

I'm in the market for a good mp3 player but I can't decide on what I want.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
If I am going to spend that kind of money I am going to get an iPod Touch so that I have access to thousands of other applications, a better browser, email etc. It seems the appeal of this device is that it is suppose to sound better than the iPod, but for most of us we'd probably barely notice if we notice any difference at all. Screen maybe better, but smaller!

Don't forget Slacker 2.0 coming any day now and you can cache Slacker stations to the iPod Touch and it won't be limited to just 3.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
That was my first thought. Only 3? And you can't do much else with it? And another thing, Sony is still making Walkmans?:eek:

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
sony will make it suck. They always do. Get ready for random error messages galore like all their crap.