Stevie Ray Vaughn Finally Gets Nominated For The Rock And Roll Hof

Discussion in 'SiriusXM Music' started by Jon, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

greenearth likes this.
  2. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Not a bad list, but there are still some old timers that they overlooked again.
    Cue up the Eddie Trunk rant.

3. Casual Fan

Casual Fan Surprisingly nice

Billie Joe Armstrong in the Hall of Fame? Eazy E? Ugh.

4. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Stevie Ray is not rock and roll.

I love Kraftwerk.

5. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Ya kinda got that backwards.
    Your bag is inside out.

6. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

I can make a better case for Kraftwerk being blues than SRV being rock. Rock came out of blues, so it could be seen as part of it. Krautrock came out of rock, and even has rock in the name.

greenearth likes this.
  7. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

It's all related, and comes from the same place, but there's no way that Kraftwerk is more rock and roll than SRV. Start with the instruments. Guitar, bass, drums, and more guitar vs. synths, drum machines, vocoders, and more synths. I think there was a guitar sitting in the corner at one point.

The chord progressions, beats, and scales all put SRV much more into the Rock category than Werk.

8. Casual Fan

You've lost your g.d. mind. Stevie Ray was a blues-influenced rock and roll musician.

I guess you're okay with NWA?

9. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Stevie Ray was a blues guitarist. A great blues guitarist. I would be surprised if he ever played a power chord.

Sure, why not?

10. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

SRV played the blues. Rock is derived from the blues, so you'll hear a lot of blues in rock.

Kraftwerk falls in the synthpop genre, which grew out of prog rock, which grew out of psychedelia, which grew out of folk and rock.

Rock is a big category that can contain Kraftwerk. Blues is a bigger category that can contain rock. See? I can draw some Venn diagrams if this isn't clear.

greenearth likes this.
  11. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

12. Casual Fan

You just don't know what you're talking about. A basic 12-bar blues is played with power chords.

13. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

12 bar blues predate power chords by more than 40 years.

Can you find an instance of SRV playing power chords? I can't think of any.

14. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

15. Casual Fan

Faulty logic. Baseball is older than the Mets. Mets can be baseball players, and baseball players can be Mets.

Where are you getting this stuff? If he ever played a 12-bar blues, he played a power chord.

Stop trolling us and get back to annoying people who don't know better than to argue with you. ;)

16. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

You're confusing parts and wholes. Games are older than baseball. Baseball is a game. Games aren't baseball.

Wikipedia. Power chords were invented in the 1950s. 12 bar blues were first recorded in the 1900s, but predate them by some unknown number of years. One can play 12 bar blues with power chords, but power chords are not a requirement for 12 bar blues.

As soon as you stop being wrong about so many things.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  17. Casual Fan

Okay, it's Friday at 4:30 and I'm just burned out enough to play. Let's skip logic--it may not be your strong suit. We'll try facts, although I have my doubts about your relationship with those, too. SRV played rock. And blues. And blues rock.

Chuck Berry may have started playing power chords on records in the 1950s, but I can guaran-damn-tee you that Robert Johnson played an E5 chord. He probably didn't call it a power chord. He called it playing the bottom three strings of an E. I can also guaran-damn-tee you that SRV played power chords. He probably called them power chords. He also did other routine things that rock guitar players do, like tune up, plug in, and all that.

Pfft.

18. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Power chords are not a prerequisite for rock and roll, just a cliche.

Also, provide documentation that SRV never played power chords, we'll wait for that. Without proof, your argument is flawed on yet another front.

We will continue to laugh at your failure until you are able to provide documentation.

[​IMG]

Casual Fan likes this.
  19. scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar arrogant bastard

He covered both Hendrix and Stevie Wonder, two HOF members. Plus, his music was played exclusively on rock stations.

HecticArt likes this.
  20. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Amazon classified him as rock.

I googled Bagazon, but the results were less than impressive.