Studio 54 radio coming 8/15

Discussion in 'Dance, Latin, Int'l' started by Satradiodude, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Satradiodude

Satradiodude Active Member

The last time I was registered was back in the Siriusbackstage days and just view the forums but I decided today to sign up and provide some info:

I would imagine they would be releasing a Press release on this soon.

For Dish Network subscribers you will notice that as of Midnight ET tomorrow channel 6015 -which is ch 15 (BBC radio 1- the listings say Important info?- and says BBC radio 1 is no longer avail (Don't know if it's totally being removed or will be avail only on internet stream.

So what SiriusXM does normally is have a loop playing for a week on the new service, and then on 8/15 at Mid ET that listing shows Studio 54 radio- So it looks like they have been working on a classic dance channel that will be on satellite (Most likely on the Internet stream also).

As far the FB page for the The Strobe- the admins have been posting countdowns 10,9,8
    this probably indicates the launch of Studio 54 and The Strobe being retired- Just a hunch ;)

Aaron likes this.
  2. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

Thanks for the info!

3. SIRIUSaboutXM

SIRIUSaboutXM DRC Special Contributor

I noticed the countdown on the Stobe's FB page. Thanks for th headsup.

4. Satradiodude

sure- no prob guys- I have a feeling a PR should be coming tomorrow- if the loop is starting tomorrow night.

Those poor FB people are going crazy with SiriusXM's logic with the countdown :eek:

5. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Thanks for the post Satradiodude.
    And welcome to the DRC!

6. Satradiodude

No problem HecticArt and thnx for the welcome.

Mike I saw your post on the FB page- you may want to correct- Per the EPG listings BBC radio 1 will remain on ch 6015 till Monday night at Mid ET.- so the feed is the same on the actual SiriusXM service so that is when the loop will start.

You don't want all the FB people angry at you :)

7. revs300

revs300 New Member

where is this link about studio 54

8. SIRIUSaboutXM

http://www.siriusxm.com/bbcradio1
    This Just In
    BBC Radio 1
    A Note to BBC Radio 1 Listeners

BBC Radio 1 is no longer available on SiriusXM. Many of the songs heard on BBC Radio 1 can be heard on SiriusXM Hits 1 (Ch. 2) or 20 on 20 (Ch. 3), Alt Nation (Ch. 36), The Heat (Ch. 47) and BPM (Ch. 51). For a British perspective on the news you can listen to BBC World Service (Ch. 118).

They're running a loop on XM 15 now- SiriusXM is making room for a brand new channel. Coming soon on this channel, a new addition of commercial free channels.

9. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Cue the BBC Radio 1 rage in 3...2...1...

10. mikemey

mikemey New Member

Great - a popular channel is replaced by disco.

DISCO.

If you want disco, listen to 70s on 7.

(Is that enough rage for you?)

11. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I'm with you on the disco thing.

But I think you may have a little more rage in ya still. :JJ:

12. mikemey

mikemey New Member

Oh I could rage, but I'm still too noobish to tempt that fate right now. lol

13. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

I missed Chrome/Strobe. Loved the saturday night 70s show. Will tune into this new channel. Hope they keep it on 7 too.

Don't miss BBC Hits 1 as I never listened.

And maybe this will give SXM a channel to pre-empt for Beach Party Radio!

14. SIRIUSaboutXM

15. SIRIUSaboutXM

When I said soon, I didn't know it would be this quick!

August 10, 2011
    Studio 54 Reopens...on Radio: SiriusXM Launches Studio 54 Music Channel
    24/7 ultra retro dance channel to feature shows hosted by legendary Studio 54 doorman Marc Benecke and Myra Scheer, executive assistant to former Studio 54 co-owner Steve Rubell
    Studio 54 channel executive produced by dance icon John "Jellybean" Benitez
    Every week listeners to hear music spun by Studio 54 opening week DJ Nicky Siano

NEW YORK, Aug. 10, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Sirius XM Radio (NASDAQ: SIRI) announced today that it will launch Studio 54 Radio, a 24/7 commercial-free channel devoted to the best classic dance and disco as a tribute to the music often played in the legendary club created by Steve Rubell and Ian Schrager. The channel will air music that comes from the vaults and special record collections of insiders, much of which has never been heard since the club's doors shut.

(Logo: Login )

SiriusXM's Studio 54 Radio will be available on channel 15 and will launch on Monday, August 15 at 5:00 pm ET.

The new channel will showcase dance club classics and disco, featuring music from the '70s and '80s, as well as classic mixes from dance icon John "Jellybean" Benitez's personal collection. The channel will also feature mix shows from the top DJs of the era.

"We are thrilled to announce that we are 'reopening' the Studio 54 doors on radio," said Scott Greenstein, President and Chief Content Officer, SiriusXM. "With the launch of Studio 54 Radio, we are excited to offer our listeners a chance to relive, or experience for the first time, the music and atmosphere from the truly iconic era. If you weren't there, you didn't hear it. But now you can — only on SiriusXM."

Legendary Studio 54 doorman, Marc Benecke, and Myra Scheer, executive assistant to former Studio 54 co-owner Steve Rubell, will host weekly interview shows, The Marc and Myra Show, with Studio 54 insiders from the iconic era. Special guests will include Studio 54's original head of security, original bartenders, waiters, busboys and well known club regulars and celebrities.

"Studio 54 was like a spectacular comet that flashed its brilliance for a short period of time and was gone," said Marc Benecke. "Whether you were inside the club or outside the ropes, this show is for you, Marc and Myra will take you there and let you have one more night."

"My first day working at Studio 54 I was on the phone talking to Andy Warhol," said Myra Scheer. "My assignment was to invite Steve's master call list. Now Marc and I are calling them to be on our show and inviting listeners to hear some fascinating stories as to why to this day there is nothing that compares to it."

SiriusXM listeners will hear music spun by iconic DJs and artists, including Studio 54 opening week DJ Nicky Siano and iconic DJ John "Jellybean" Benitez, who will executive produce the channel.

"I'm excited to play this music that I've seen thousands of people dance to over the years and haven't heard on the radio in a long time," said DJ John "Jellybean" Benitez.

Studio 54 is one of the most well known disco clubs in the world. The club, which opened in 1977 in New York City, was an iconic gathering place for actors, musicians, artists and celebrities. Studio 54 was the brainchild of Steve Rubell and Ian Schrager.

For more information on SiriusXM, please visit Home - SiriusXM Radio.

16. MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio1 MadisonRadio

No word on Denny Terrio. Will he stay on Saturday Nights at 70's on 7

17. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

I always had The Strobe as one of my "B" presets. I may enjoy this new channel... will certainly give it a listen!

18. Wolf

Wolf Manspreading on DRC

I believe Disco Stu, will be happy with this channel?
    [​IMG]

I'll probably give this channel a shot, but I'll probably change it within a half an hour.

19. robhurlburt

robhurlburt Well-Known Member

awesome. so we loose judge jules, pete tong, kutski, the essential mix and the other HOURS of good programming to get a sh*t disco channel. why didn't they just put that on 70s on 7

20. SIRIUSaboutXM

I'm guessing tomorrow night will be his last.