Suggestion: A "trashed" Thread

Discussion in 'DRC Site Feedback' started by hyson, Sep 8, 2014.

1. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

I'm a little butt-hurt over some posts of mine being deleted.

With that being said, instead of future posts just being shit-canned into outer space, I suggest they be moved to a viewable locked area.

That way, there's no confusion or disagreement as to what the conversation actually was, the offending posts gets moved from the subject at hand and there's a permanent record of the transaction.

While I'm the first to admit I'm a jerk, deleting posts on a board as slow as this seems counter-productive.

2. Ehilbert1

Ehilbert1 Ooh-Rah!!!!

My friend you can't win in the Apple forum. I've had an iPad mini for about 3 maybe 4 weeks now. I love it! The screen is awesome and it just the right size. Now being a perfectionist there are a few things I would love to see added. MicroSD and so on.

If I posted that in the Apple forum. It would piss a few people off. Why I have no idea. You can't have any opinion on Apple here unless it's super duper positive. Again.... Why I have no idea. I PMed the mods about this when I got back from Florida. Only Hectic replyed. That told me everything I needed to know about this place.

I guess I will never understand why a phone means so much to some here.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

semipenguin, Wolf and hyson like this.
  3. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

Yeah, I can agree with most of that.

Now, I was being a little bit of a dick in the Apple Forum (funny that you knew exactly what I was talking about). But I just didn't/don't get what all the hub-bub is about about this "announcement".

If someone kindly filled me in, I might have changed my mind. Unfortunately, no one got the chance and here we are.

This isn't me questioning someone deleting my posts, even though I think it's rude. Maybe the policy can be altered to allow the conversation to continue but moved from the venue where it's "disruptive" or whatever adjective was used.

4. Wolf

Wolf Manspreading on DRC

I would never trash or get pissed off, about adding a MicroSD to the iPhone or iPad, I personally like the idea. If that was posted on a major Apple forum, then you would get trashed.

Ehilbert1 likes this.
  5. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

Not for nothing, Phil, but that was just an example that E was describing.

I don't want this post to get mashed into an Apple thread. The Apple forum was merely the catalyst.

Wolf likes this.
  6. Wolf

Wolf Manspreading on DRC

I thought hyson post was funny in that thread, I know the war between Android vs. Apple can be ugly sometimes. I guess all the hub-bub for the "announcement" is like xmas for Apple fans, we all get existed when the new phones come out and we simply drool and want them.

hyson likes this.
  7. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

Thanks! What's even more funny is that I don't want to perpetuate an Android vs Apple war, nor was I trying to.

The "announcement" isn't something that crossed my radar until that thread and it seemed kinda crazy to me. But you explained why it could be exciting. I guess I get it.... too bad we couldn't continue that thought in the appropriate thread.

Wolf likes this.
  8. Wolf

Wolf Manspreading on DRC

I understand, to move back on track and to view deleted messages into a viewable locked area, would be like opening up the private forum of the admin/mods.

9. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

Or just a subforum marked "Trashed". Any deletions could get moved there with an explanation instead of derailing a thread again - unbeknownst to the author.

Wolf likes this.
  10. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Dude, you can't talk about Apple. If you feel the urge to say anything about Apple, just type "f--k the pigs" instead.

semipenguin, Wolf and hyson like this.
  11. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

This is a win on so many levels.

Why do you complicate my life?

Wolf likes this.
  12. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I don't care about your your butt's feelings.

You just answered your own question, now didn't you? That sounds a bit like trolling doesn't it?

Listen, I don't get why people get so worked up about their damn phones either. But they do.
    The history of it goes way back. We've had too many people get their panties in a bunch using either OS.
    So quite some time ago we started telling people not to interrupt threads dedicated to a particular product. Unfortunately, some people take the most innocent of comments too seriously, so it's best to stay out of threads that are obviously for fans.

Now, if you want to start a separate thread that is dedicated to informative/light hearted/sarcastic/irreverent/comparative debate between the OS's please feel free to start one. If people choose to engage in the "mine is better than yours," by all means go for it. Have fun. Don't get pissy if you can't handle the banter. Don't get personal. Don't take it personally. You don't have to read or participate in a thread that you don't like. We're grown-ups here, so make grown-up decisions about what is worth your time.

So have your opinion, just put it in the right place.

Now, your posts aren't completely gone, but we can still see them. So we know who has a history of derailing threads. It's something that's been done all the way back to the Backstage days. A little thread clean-up is necessary from time to time. The reason is that when someone is looking for information on the site, they don't have to weed through a thread that's half full with off topic bullshit to find the helpful info that they are looking for.

13. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

Being a dick isn't anything new around here but it wasn't a pissing contest about any brand, either - nor was it off topic.

If ANY company said "We have an announcement but you have to wait" and people got all crazy about it, I'd have posted the EXACT same thing. It just so happened to be the beloved brand around here.

But, the funny thing I can't get past is that I'm not the only person who has had an issue with that mod who deleted my stuff and it only seems to happen in one particular forum area by that one particular guy. Coincidence?

No where else have I had a problem. Ever. Christ, Wolf even said he thought my post was funny. Was it really that distracting to the two people who were posting? Give me a break.

The real problem is that if any thing other than "I love Apple" is said, someone in particular gets angry or offended and starts deleting stuff and making threats. I wouldn't say this if it was just me. This instance isn't about a topic getting cluttered - it just isn't. I have no problem keeping threads on topic and house-keeping them. This is about someone getting butt-hurt.

And as far as I'm concerned, my posts are completely gone. I guess my idea isn't going to fly?

14. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

You're way off base here Hy. The mod that you talking about would do the exact same thing in any thread.
    He's keeping the peace. If you can't be open minded enough to recognize that, I'll be happy to give you a couple of days off to contemplate it.

15. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

I'm glad you wrote that. I really am. The regular posters here can see this situation for what it's worth.

Anything I write after this can't be good, either. If I try to defend myself, I get banned. If I back down, I'm a pussy. Guess you win.

HecticArt likes this.
  16. Ehilbert1

Ehilbert1 Ooh-Rah!!!!

You my friend are the exception!. Now I did post about a microSD slot in the iPhone 6 thread. People were speculating and I just added a few things I would like to see. Well a certain poster went off about it. Hectic did say something but any other MOD that has anything to do with Apple let it go as usual. That's just the way it's been around here.

Hecttic brotha just because people used to get all pissing talking about phone OS's in the doesn't mean it should carry on. People have been banned by other member because they didn't like their opinions in the Apple forum. Not the political forum the Apple forum. People have left here because of those posters and no one seems to give a damn.

I would just like to be able to post in that forum like a regular person. I enjoy talking about these things especially when I have an upgrade but you can't even give an opinion without getting hammered. If you guys want this place to grow solve that problem. Maybe some old friends will come back. It's early here and I need to get moving.

Wolf and hyson like this.
  17. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

There are quite a few places that allow for constructive discussion, even criticism within threads like that.

Note, I said constructive, Not "all this over a phone? You guys suck!" Which is exactly how the offending post came across.

That level of, what was for a long time, allowed trolling, was and is what's keeping the board from growing beyond what it is now.

To take a simple post about a product announcement and try to turn it into another opportunity to troll was the reason the post got reported. (By me!)

Sent from my iPhone 5S with Tapatalk

18. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

Bro, you need to not be so sensitive. Report a post because I commented that a whole thread and mind mentality over an unknown Apple announcement was a tad overzealous? Laughable, my friend, laughable.

Why don't you do yourself a favor and put me on your blocked list.

19. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Who's being sensitive? We're all a bunch of tech enthusiasts here (except for a few that are here to troll). Naturally the level of excitement for such an event is going to be higher on a 'tech' board.

To expect anything less than that is misguided. There are places like satelliteguys that have that level of enthusiasm for a product, and can manage to keep the trolls away. That's why they haves hundreds or thousands of people posting there on a regular basis, as opposed to tens.

And I've got several people on block around here, unfortunately Tapatalk doesn't play nice with the inner workings of the new software so all those 'people' are on display whether I like it or not. I've been bugging the mods to fix that, but I used to mod/admin on a few boards of my own and know how hard it is to get software to cooperate.

The level of trolling and taking threads off topic isn't tolerated anywhere else to any extent BUT here. If you're looking for one of the main reasons why the board is dead, that'd be it.

Sent from my iPhone 5S with Tapatalk

20. Ehilbert1

Ehilbert1 Ooh-Rah!!!!

Well when someone takes offense because I talk about some things I would like to see on a new iPhone that's just sad. There was no criticism. No putting anything or anyone down and people still take offense. They act like I just insulted their mother. Really? WTF?

People getting others banned and reporting them is also sad. I get it if someone is trying to troll. If someone is talking about rumors giving their opinion and asking a question that should be allowed. Not here.

All this over a phone? Really? If we were all hanging out face to face I guarantee it would be different. I bet we would pretty much all get along.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Wolf and hyson like this.