Sundials in most areas will not be correct on Sunday...

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I support DST all year long.
That's nuts. Your sunrise (Toronto) is currently after 7:50 am from late December through Early January. Going to DST would make it 8:50 am, which is ridiculous and unnecessary.

Personally, I don't understand all the whining about a time change twice a year. We live in a society where the people we work with are in different time zones, so we're dealing with that on a daily basis. When we travel, we often enter different time zones. When we watch live sports, they're broadcast from different time zones. We adjust for all of that; so what's the big deal about moving your own time zone by an hour, once every 6 months, so people can go to work and school when it's light out?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
That's nuts. Your sunrise (Toronto) is currently after 7:50 am from late December through Early January. Going to DST would make it 8:50 am, which is ridiculous and unnecessary.

Personally, I don't understand all the whining about a time change twice a year. We live in a society where the people we work with are in different time zones, so we're dealing with that on a daily basis. When we travel, we often enter different time zones. When we watch live sports, they're broadcast from different time zones. We adjust for all of that; so what's the big deal about moving your own time zone by an hour, once every 6 months, so people can go to work and school when it's light out?
I don't mind the time change. But for the whiners, I accept that if we don't change, we should be DST all year. I had an early dinner last night and coming home at 5:30PM it was pitch black. When work is over in the winter it's pitch black. Don't really give a fuck about the mornings.

When I visit Saskatoon in the winter, their sunrise is at 9:30AMish and sunset at about 4:30PM due to the short winter days. They are on standard time all year. Nobody complains about the dark mornings. People (those I have heard while there so not a scientific sample) do notice the dark evenings.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Personally, I don't understand all the whining about a time change twice a year.
It's totally unnecessary. And if it never existed and someone tried to introduce it today, all of us old codgers would reject it as a stupid idea.

Your sunrise (Toronto) is currently after 7:50 am from late December through Early January. Going to DST would make it 8:50 am
That's why I say put it in the middle. Definition of compromise is everybody is only somewhat unhappy with the results.

• Face Palm

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I had an early dinner last night and coming home at 5:30PM it was pitch black. When work is over in the winter it's pitch black.
Well that's what we get for living way up north. No matter how you slice it, it sucks to have such a short amount of daylight. I also hate when it gets dark at 4 pm or 4:30. But I don't think making a 4 pm sunset 5 pm is worth having the morning dark until almost 9 am. But that's just me.

Here are some stats on the shortest day of the year:

This is you.
1699383847003.png

This is a bit north of me, but it's only a few minutes off.
Notice how the length of the day is similar, but shifted.
1699383883877.png

And this is where we like to vacation; the main island in Turks & Caicos.
1699384061144.png

So they get about 2 more hours of daylight on the shortest day.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
The shifting is based upon the east-west position in the timezone. You are further east so your times would be earlier. If you go further east they become close to an hour off and then you are in a new timezone. I don't think you are significantly south of me (43.64 vs 43.74) for there to be too much of a difference in length.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I don't think you are significantly south of me (43.64 vs 43.74) for there to be too much of a difference in length.
Toronto and Portland are at virtually an identical latitude (as you point out), which is kind-of neat, I guess. And yes, where one lives between the time zones determines the shift. Looks like Toledo and Madison are pretty close too.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Toronto and Portland are at virtually an identical latitude (as you point out), which is kind-of neat, I guess. And yes, where one lives between the time zones determines the shift. Looks like Toledo and Madison are pretty close too.
We are also the same latitude as northern California.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
There's a total eclipse coming in the US on April 8th, and since we're a geographically diverse group, I thought it would be worthwhile to see where everyone is on this map. For me, I'm not driving to northern Maine just so I can look up and (most likely) see a bunch of clouds. But we've been getting bombarded with advertising about going to Houlton Maine to view it. It's a town on the Canadian border, right in the center of the path of totality. The Houlton department of tourism is going all-out on this.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
There's a total eclipse coming in the US on April 8th, and since we're a geographically diverse group, I thought it would be worthwhile to see where everyone is on this map. For me, I'm not driving to northern Maine just so I can look up and (most likely) see a bunch of clouds. But we've been getting bombarded with advertising about going to Houlton Maine to view it. It's a town on the Canadian border, right in the center of the path of totality. The Houlton department of tourism is going all-out on this.

In Toronto it's 90% total. I can take the Hamilton GO line and get 1 minute of totality at the GO station. My daughter and I are going to do this. Then come back and meet my son for the Jays home opener. I was going to go and spend 2 days in St. Catherines, ON but hotel rooms are super expensive for those days -- about $1000/night and not much selection.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
I forget if I said this already but my son and some of his classmates are driving to Vermont the night before to watch the eclipse (with the special glasses).

A vendor of mine said he's driving to Texas to see the full blackout.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
There a 50/50 chance that the forecasts are going to be wrong this far out. How pissed off would you be if you traveled someplace and it was cloudy?
How much more pissed off would you be if one of the other places that you thought about going to to watch it, had clear skies?

I'll be able to watch it from my parking lot at work.
If it isn't cloudy....

Reactions: Aaron