The '09 NBA Playoffs - Discussion Thread

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
From the other night when LeBron hit that last second shot...I love this...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtcFwKt8wuU]YouTube - Cleveland Sports Reporter Goes Crazy Cavs Win[/ame]

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I'll bet David Stern and ABC are growing increasingly concerned about a Denver-Orlando Final. And honestly, I am too. No offense to any Denver (Jon) or Orlando fans out there, but I really want to see the Kobe's and the LeBron's in the Finals.

This Orlando team really reminds me of the two Rocket championship teams from the mid-'90's, especially the first before Drexler got there. Throw it down low to the best center in the NBA, attract the double or triple-team, and then throw it back out to one of 4 guys who can shoot the 3. For the Rockets, obviously it was Olajuwon, surrounded by guys like Kenny Smith, Robert Horry, Vernon Maxwell, Sam Cassell, Mario Elie, etc. Now you've got Dwight Howard for the Magic with guys like Turkoglu, Lewis, Pietrus, and Lee.

Would you believe Cleveland is favored tonight by a point? Well, they are. Go Cavs...

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
This reminds me a lot of the 80's where you had Magic and Bird, along with Dominique Wilkins, Isiah Thomas. Etc. In this case you won't have Magic and Bird (Kobe and LeBron) but you will have guys who are in the lower tier of superstars, but are still pretty good and fun to watch. As far as the Nuggets have come this year, it'd be disappointing to see it end early, and I never did like the Lakers from my days as a Celtics fan during the Bird years. Nuggets/Cavaliers would see the Top 3 players from that draft going against each other. Plus Cleveland which is more Lebron and the King James quartet, against Denver who plays more team ball. Although Carmelo can dominate with the best of them when he needs to.

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
This is the Cavs biggest test to date. The coaching staff has to figure out how to stop these guys. Over the past couple of years, they haven't had the success. IF (big if) the guards can start making their shots, they can stay with Orlando. Doing it with defense to this point hasn't worked. They should be down 0-3, or as it is now with West hitting a jumper from the corner at the end of game 1.

If they go down this series, the search for a mobile big man must begin. Losing Hickson hurt a bit since he is a big body, but still inexperienced. He could absorb some fouls and give some pain if healthy.

I'm hopeful, but not optimistic. Cleveland always seems to have a hot team standing in the way (pistons, Jordan & chicago, elway). This just might be another in the long line of hurdles that can't be cleared.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Don't give up yet Steel Cranium. A 3-1 deficit isn't insurmountable. Like Kenny Smith just said, the Rockets did it in '95 and they only had one game at home.

But the important thing now is obviously to win Game 5. Then the pressure will be on Orlando to wrap up the series in Game 6 at home. Just gotta get to that Game 7...

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
These playoffs are for what TEAM is the best. If you want to see two players going one on one, wait for the all star game next year.

I missed out on Magic vs. Bird in the '80's. Seeing as how everyone talks about that rivalry as saving the NBA, I thought it might be fun to see the two best players of this generation meet up in the Finals.

And you get David Stern alone, he'll tell you what these Playoffs are really for.....

dollarSign.gif

Reactions: xan_user

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
LeBron can't do it alone and Orlando has better players. Period.

I'd love to see King James get his crown but they aren't going to be Orlando.

You can blame the coaching all you want but the fact is that Orlando has more good players.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
This postseason is going to turn me into an NBA fan again. I haven't watched this much since Bird, Magic and Jordan. Jordan was the last player I really followed. I definitely will watch more than the NFL since the Broncos are going to stink on ice this year.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Nuggets win tonight, then game 6 is back in Denver. It'd be nice to clinch in front of the home crowd.

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
LeBron can't do it alone and Orlando has better players. Period.

You can blame the coaching all you want but the fact is that Orlando has more good players.

Agreed, but a good gameplan by the coaches and carried out by the players can shut down talent. Problem is that Orlando provides too many matchup issues. If they concentrate on how to stop Howard (which they have done in a few games), the 3-point shooters have their way. Guard the 3-line, and the inside game opens up. The only way the Cavs have a chance is to speed up the game to keep the Orlando players burning energy on defense. This is proven during their two fast starts in Cleveland.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
LeBron must have been jealous last night watching the Lakers play. Kobe only had to take 13 shots (22 points) and they won by nine points. LeBron has to put up close to 40 every game against the Magic just for his team to be competitive.

This postseason is going to turn me into an NBA fan again. I haven't watched this much since Bird, Magic and Jordan. Jordan was the last player I really followed. I definitely will watch more than the NFL since the Broncos are going to stink on ice this year.

You're not alone...TNT's Playoff ratings are up 18.7% from last year, ESPN's up 10.1%.

Last edited:

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Anyone watch the pregame piece on TNT about Rodney Rogers? Heartbreaking...

Anyway...go Cavs!

Last edited:

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Pretty incredible what LeBron James did in the 4th quarter tonight. That play where he fouled Dwight Howard out gave me chills.