The app has been sucking ass lately.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Here's what I see that's wrong with it. Yes, I have the newest version of the app and the OS.

1) It can play for just a few seconds before pausing. It paused at least three times when I was making this post.

2) The channel logos are gone from the "Now Playing" screen.

3) On music channels, the "previous/next" buttons are totally deactivated.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Update:

It's possible that issue #1 is related to the wifi, although there aren't issues with any other thing on that WiFi...but the issues don't happen on other WiFi, or if they do, not as often.

Issue #3 seemed to have been solved by a clearing of the cache.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Here's what I see that's wrong with it. Yes, I have the newest version of the app and the OS.

1) It can play for just a few seconds before pausing. It paused at least three times when I was making this post.

2) The channel logos are gone from the "Now Playing" screen.

3) On music channels, the "previous/next" buttons are totally deactivated.
I stream from my phone in the car, and in general, it works OK (no pausing). The big loss for me is this: I have an older car, so it can't integrate with Android Auto. I used to be able to use Android Auto on my phone, but now that's been phased out. Instead, there's Google Driving Mode, which is actually integrated into the existing Google Maps/Navigation app.

Up until a few months ago, Driving mode would launch automatically, and it would start the SiriusXM app. If I went to full-screen music mode, it displayed the album art from the app, plus it used the colors from the album art to blend-in the background around the album. Now, driving mode starts, but the SXM app doesn't start automatically. When I launch it (from driving mode), it no longer shows album art. If I want album art, I have to stop the Driving mode, and open the SXM app on its own.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I’ve been using the web page for the last couple of years most of the day. It’s been pretty stable lately. Every few months, there will be half a day or so that it doesn’t seem to stay connected at work, but not often.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Did I forget I started this thread? Oh well.

Clearing the cache helped, but I still miss the logos.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
This is Android 13. I don't use the website.

I have an unofficial theory (after reading around the internet) that the random stopping has something to do with the phone's battery being low. It was at 20% or so this morning and the app kept stopping. Turning the screen off meant the app stopped almost instantly.

After charging the phone, the app seems to work fine.

I looked through app/battery settings and changed one that seemed to be a little more "battery-friendly." I don't think that changed anything when the battery was low, but the battery is currently at 85% and the app keeps playing.

Reactions: HecticArt

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
iPhone has power saving features which can be kicked in at 20%, 10% or 5%. Maybe Android has something similar but less optional.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
This is Android 13. I don't use the website.

I have an unofficial theory (after reading around the internet) that the random stopping has something to do with the phone's battery being low. It was at 20% or so this morning and the app kept stopping. Turning the screen off meant the app stopped almost instantly.

After charging the phone, the app seems to work fine.

I looked through app/battery settings and changed one that seemed to be a little more "battery-friendly." I don't think that changed anything when the battery was low, but the battery is currently at 85% and the app keeps playing.
That could do it.
Thanks for the update.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
It's weird that when I have a low battery, this music app seems to stop, but others go just fine.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
My phones (Droid) have always said that they start to reduce power hungry apps when the battery starts to get low.
I'm assuming that Apple does the same.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
My phones (Droid) have always said that they start to reduce power hungry apps when the battery starts to get low.
I'm assuming that Apple does the same.
When you cross the 20%, 10% or 5% threshold's on an iPhone you get a pop up asking if you want to enter low power mode. You can also turn that on in settings. But it is not mandatory. You can use your iPhone until the last second using as much power as you need.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
It's usually somewhere less than 10%. but my battery still lasts for a solid 5 days or so, so it doesn't happen often.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I was using the app quite regularly for a long time since my car didn't come with Sirius when I bought it. Then I started having issues, most of the same ones listed here. I use an iPhone and use CarPlay quite often when I'm on the road (45 minute commute to work one way) and the app would not work with CarPlay. With Apple Music or TuneIn I would turn the car off and leave the phone plugged in while checking mail or something briefly, and it would revert right back to what was playing when I started the engine again. Not with the Sirius App. It would stop, pause, then crash, then I'd have to reopen the app, reselect the channel, and whatever was playing before would be lost.

Nowadays I have my Apple Music subscription, and for Sirius-like content I have TuneIn Premium which is $7.99 a month, features all the sports available on Sirius with no bandwidth issues and home and away broadcasts. Also ESPN Radio, and other local ESPN radio stations all over the country if I'm so inclined. Also have live audio feeds of CNN, MSNBC and CNBC (FoxNews doesn't seem to want to play along but no big loss, Although FoxNews radio is there). And 100,000+ radio stations from around the world, plus Premium, Commercial Free music with expanded playlists, and no DJs (No Madison!!). Plus it has all the stuff that was removed from Sirius at some point. BBC Radio 1, C-SPAN Radio and others.

Not to mention, for some unknown reason, Sirius still refuses to work with the Homepod smart speakers from Apple. Pandora does work natively so I know it's a SiriusXM issue, maybe their app developers just don't know how. That would be my guess. Maybe walk over to the Pandora side and see how they do it. But again, no skin off my back.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I'm still streaming SXM from my phone in the car. It mostly works OK if I have a cell signal. When I don't have a signal, it still works if it was already streaming, but if I start out somewhere with no signal, it might set itself up and wait for a signal, or it might sit there and do nothing.

Generally, it starts back up when I get out/in to my car. The song skip marginally works. And of course, I stream SXM in my house from one of two old phones. So I get my money's worth.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Oddly enough, I was at 40-something this AM and it kept pausing. It also had a pause or two later on and I was at 60-something.