The Groove --> Sirius?

Discussion in 'Hip Hop, R&B, Old School' started by Davinoo, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Davinoo

Davinoo New Member

Hi, I understand this topic has been covered before but does anyone think that it would be possible to bring "The Groove" to Sirius? I really enjoy the channel on Sirius internet radio but when I get in the car I"m left without it. Do you think that there is enough community support to persuade Sirius to add such a channel or should I just give up now? I've already emailed some corporate executives but they don't seem to interested. Thank you for your time.

Aaron likes this.
  2. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

A grassroots campaign wouldn't be unprecedented. They gave us back The Strobe and Backspin due to popular demand. I think the Groove would much be a much tougher sell since it's available on the internet service though. :worried:

Welcome to DRC! Post more...

3. Davinoo

Davinoo New Member

UPDATE: So I went on an email & calling campaign towards all of the Sirius execs, I got some emails/calls back here they are:

This is the general message I sent to the execs
    Kid Kellys reply:
    Here is Steve B.'s reply.
    I called Kid Kelly and left a voice mail stating my name account number and the reason I was calling. I have yet to receive a reply. You guys think I'm just being blow off?

4. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

Is The Groove part of the SiriusXM App? :right:
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. i-l-l

i-l-l Member

yes it is

6. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

Davinoo, welcome to DRC. Good luck in your endeavor. I think Sirius|XM needs to expand their music in this genre, too.

7. VinnyM27

VinnyM27 Active Member

I'm highly convinced that they will NEVER make another serious change to Sirius' lineup! I think content is stuck in flux forever. even if they do add channels, it will only because they got rid of others and the names, categories and icons of the channels will never be changed. it has been about 2 years since the major merger? Nothing! About a year and a half since they wised up and brought back the Strobe and Bakspin (and I think something else....not sure), but they just put them in odd places and never changed the names and catogeries, so unless you know what you're looking for, forget it. I've just been going through the motions with this awful service (and their even worse equipment) lately.

8. goreds2

goreds2 Well-Known Member

I listened to The Groove today at work after reading this thread. Good stuff. I will listen more often.

Best wishes on getting the channel on SIRIUS receivers.

9. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

The Grove has always been one of my favs. The few missing channels on the XM side has always made me want XM more than Sirius. Why they can't figure out a way to provide all the music channels across both platforms just amazes me. I also think they need to organize the categories and make the channels numbers the same across both as well. Seems this would be easy enough to do.

10. Davinoo

Davinoo New Member

UPDATE: Not much to say in this update, I have continually tried to call Kid Kelly to no avail. After talking with some of the people who helped bring back the Backspin channel I'm contemplating weather of not I should takethis issue to the social networking sites. Only problem is that only Sirius subscribers with an internet radio subscription know of the channel. I did get a call from Corporate customer relations the other day, the rep was nice and said that she would put me in touch with someone who would be able to take my suggestion. I'll keep you guys updated.

11. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Good luck and keep fighting for the music that you love!

It inspires me to start pestering them again to bring Boombox back!
    (I can hear everyone in the background groaning, "Yes Hectic! We know! You miss Boombox! Uuuggghhhh!")

The odds of seeing Boombox again are regrettably slim, but since The Groove is already on the web, and XM your odds are better.

Good luck! :bigthumbup:

12. stellar115

stellar115 New Member

I agree, I really wish "the groove" was on the sirius sat's. I love this channel. So what channel would you want replaced in order for it to be available.

13. kryptonite

kryptonite Well-Known Member

Between Classic Vinyl, Classic Rewind, Deep Tracks, and The Boneyard, they could probably put one of those online.

Maybe merge Vinyl & Rewind, and put the other one online?

14. Road Hog

Road Hog Member

I'd give that close to a zero percent chance of happening. One thing that makes satellite classic rock different than terrestrial radio classic rock is that they are able to separate early classic rock (60s and 70s) from later classic rock (70s and 80s). In fact, Sirius did this first and then XM copied it (before the merge). Both are popular channels, so I can't see them eliminating one.

Aaron likes this.
  15. Davinoo

Davinoo New Member

There are alot of rock stations though. I'm sure we could sacrafice one in order to allow The Groove too be put on air.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  16. microbob

microbob Well-Known Member

How much longer is Sirius's contract with Springsteen's channel? Maybe the Groove could replace it.

17. Davinoo

Davinoo New Member

He's kinda popular though...it would almost be kind of counterproductive to remove another station...I mean is there bandwith maxed out to the point where they'd have to remove another channel?

18. j_mact

j_mact New Member

Davinoo,

I too applaud your efforts to bring the Groove to the Sirius radios, but I must say that others have tried to no avail... AZJoe, Viru5, and others have tried for YEARS to not only bring the Groove over, but to add more Hip/Hop and R&B channels to the lineup. While I understand that rock is very popular, it always seems odd that there are over 20 rock stations, and only 3 dedicated to hip/hop and 1 dedicated to old school R&B. (SoulTown)

I have to agree with Vinny. At this point, I don't think they are ever going to do another channel update/lineup change. Two years??? They can't do a channel name change, or a new channel in two years???

And can we please do away with these single artists channels? At one point, there were more single artists channels than there were R&B Channels... I would like to see one channel dedicated for this, that would change artists month-to-month...

IMO, the whole reason people buy satellite radio is to hear music you can't hear on FM/AM Radio, and that they (Sirius/XM) actually LISTEN to their customers, and make changes accordingly. Lately though, it seems like this is NOT the case...

Sorry for the rant, but I too have called/emailed to ask for the Groove to be brought over to the Sirius lineup, as well as the addition of more Hip/Hop and R&B Channels but to no avail.
    (I still miss Wax, Slow Jams, and The City)

Maybe you will reach the right person this time. Good luck, and god's speed.

Aaron likes this.
  19. Davinoo

Davinoo New Member

I see your point however as (faithful) customers Sirius should see the value in retaining us by adjusting to our needs and wants. If we can prove to them that a sizeable portion of their customer base wants The Groove we will be succesful in our endeavours. It'll take a certain level of determination though...(please excuse any spelling or grammar eerrors I'm still try to learn to type on this new phone)

20. goreds2

goreds2 Well-Known Member