The Joint?

Elahrairah

Nov 11, 2008
What is up with "The Joint"? What a horrible name for a Reggae channel. I can see many a snob not letting their children listen and get inspired by Reggae simply because of the name....very stereotypical. There are 100 names they could give that channel and still have some class.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
OH just take a hit and settle back... enjoy! LOL

Well I guess you maybe right on that there are prudes everywhere you go these days.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Well now I think you guys are thinking about Marijuana here, but I think the channel name is suppose to be reflective of a Juke Joint, Night Club, Bar..

DoublEE

Oct 11, 2008
South Euclid, Ohio
What is up with "The Joint"? What a horrible name for a Reggae channel. I can see many a snob not letting their children listen and get inspired by Reggae simply because of the name....very stereotypical. There are 100 names they could give that channel and still have some class.

Just don't inhale. It worked for Clinton.

Elahrairah

Nov 11, 2008
Well now I think you guys are thinking about Marijuana here, but I think the channel name is suppose to be reflective of a Juke Joint, Night Club, Bar..

I did think of that (for about 1 second)....the double entendre can't be missed.

I just hate how they so easily equate Reggae with pot smoking.....like it's the primary focus.

They could do the same thing with Jam On...or the Grateful Dead Channel, it would be just as cheap of a message.

Why not call it Jah? or Jammin'? or Rasta? or Zion (ok I can see problems here)?

Anyway, rant over. As long as the music is good I am OK. The only reason I can see that they would use XM's Reggae is because it is better.....we shall see.

VinnyM27

Oct 14, 2008
Was this always XM's name for the channel? So let me get this straight...Big 80s is too much but "The Joint" makes perfect sense!

palancar

Dec 20, 2008
SE of Disorder
I don't know why it couldn't be left Reggae Rhythms. I think the Joint is a terrible name, and the assumption that oh it's reggae so you must smoke is insulting.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Rename "The Joint"

My sense of humor leans to the silly. . . . so I'm down with The Joint.

But let's take this thread a little farther.

Let's come up with a better name shall we?

Cheeba Hut?
Ok, probably worse than The Joint.

Legends?
A nod to Bob.

Kingston Jams?
Now I'm rambling.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Now I'm rambling.

Don't you mean Babylon?:p

Am I the only one that cant stand how their play list jumps back and forth between hard dance-hall and roots 4 times an hour?

Really need more than one reggae station- like that would ever happen.

And I agree "The Joint" is offensive, and I smoke medicine.

I think just "Kingston" would be much better.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
And I agree "The Joint" is offensive, and I smoke medicine.

Oh yeah its real offensive! LOL :whistle: Considering the name has nothing to do with marijuana or medicine.

The Joint meaning Juke Joint! Which is what bars were called during the time of much of this music.

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
If people are that prudish, I think they're going to equate reggae with pot smoking with or without the channel name.

I think the name is cute and SOOOOOO much better than Reggae Rhythms. It was one of the few channels i was hoping for in the merger...

We can't cleanse the entire world for the children's sake.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
We can't cleanse the entire world for the children's sake.

It offends me because the name seems so childish. But yeah id agree, we can't cleanse the world, nor would I want to.
:clap:

The sound effects I sometimes heard when they say "Da Joint" dont really remind me of any jukebox ive heard before.
Maybe im not smoking the right stuff...:toast:
Its been awhile since ive listened, so im not sure they still do it. I remember it from XM as well.

Regardless of nitpicking the name, it would be nice if they would at least divide some time slots for the more relaxed roots and for the harder dance hall styleeeyy . (both of which i like, just not alternating back and forth.) They probably just leave it on "Shuffle Reggae" rather than put any thought into it.
:mad:

Or does the mix not bother you 'all?

:scatch:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
The sound effects I sometimes heard when they say "Da Joint" dont really remind me of any jukebox ive heard before.

Jukebox?

Juke Joint!

Juke joint (or jook joint) is the vernacular term for an informal establishment featuring music, dancing, gambling, and drinking, primarily operated by African American people in the southeastern United States.

The Joint

If it offends you then you are just too darn sensitive in my opinion! What folks find offensive these days really amazes me.

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
I can see how it could be offensive to the 1 to 2% of Reggae listeners that don't puff...

rasta.gif