The Official 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Thread and Watch Poll

Will you be watching the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics?

• Yes. I'll be watching as much as I can until I pass out

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Yes, I'll watch quite a bit and check updates online

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Yes, but not very much

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • No. I hate the Winter Olympics

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Only highlights of Curling disasters

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
What is this option "Only highlights of Curly disasters".

I love me some Olympics! I'ma watch the crap out of them.

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
Will you be watching the Sochi Winter Olympics? :scatch:

Sochi 2014 Olympics - Olympic Tickets, Sports & Schedule - Sochi 2014 Olympics

Can't find anything on SiriusXM. I might listen for updates :)
Still nothing on the either site, but SXM Canada FB posted this:
Our CBC channels will have frequent updates while SportsZone 92 will have US hockey games, and the Gold medal games for both women and men.
Nothing on any schedules yet- SXM should make an announcement soon.

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
Soon is now- looks like they're starting to gear up for Friday's Opening Ceremonies. Actually some events start Thursday before the official opening.

igor_larionov_with_2002_stanley_cup_14_photofile.jpg

SiriusXM Presents Special Radio Series with Pioneering Russian Hockey Star Igor Larionov

> "Igor Larionov's Triple Overtime Radio" debuts Feb. 7 and airs during the Sochi Winter Olympics

> Series features the Hall of Famer, in his own words, discussing his days as a Soviet star, his revolutionary struggle for the freedom to play in the NHL, and his thoughts on the Olympics and today's game

NEW YORK, Feb. 5, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- SiriusXM announced today that it will present a special radio series with Hall of Fame center and pioneering former Russian hockey star Igor Larionov, who helped change the course of his sport's history with his fight to break down the barrier that prevented Soviet players from joining the National Hockey League.

Igor Larionov's Triple Overtime Radio will be hosted by Alyonka Larionov, Igor's daughter, and will air as a five-part series on SiriusXM Sports Zone (channel 92). The program debuts Feb. 7 at 8:00 pm ET, the first day of the 2014 Winter Olympics, and will air throughout the Games taking place in Sochi, Russia.

Larionov will talk at length about his experiences in the Soviet Union, his struggle for hockey freedom, his success in the Olympics and the NHL, and the development of the game - both on and off the ice - from the time he was a young player to today.

Subsequent episodes of the special will air at 8:00 pm ET on Feb. 9, Feb. 11, Feb. 12 and Feb. 14, leading up to the USA vs. Russia Men's Hockey game on Feb. 15.

"I've had quite a journey through this game, from the time I first laced up skates as a boy in the Soviet Union through my years in the NHL," said Larionov. "I'm pleased and grateful to SiriusXM for the chance to talk about my experiences and share what I've learned."

"Igor Larionov was a superstar on the ice but his lasting legacy is the trail he blazed for his fellow countrymen, giving them a level of freedom that countless others enjoyed after him," said Scott Greenstein, SiriusXM's President and Chief Content Officer. "His story is remarkable and enormously important in the history of the game. As we watch nations and players from around the world compete on the ice in Sochi, we're pleased to have him share that story and his thoughts on today's game with our listeners."

Nicknamed "The Professor" both for his remarkable intelligence and bespectacled appearance, Larionov was one of the Soviet Union's greatest players and one of the best centers in the world. He starred for Khimik Voskresensk and powerhouse CSKA Moscow, and helped lead the Soviet national team to two Olympic gold medals in 1984 and 1988 and four gold medals, a silver and a bronze in the World Championships between 1982 and 1989.

Amid all of his success both internationally and at home, Larionov made it clear that he wanted the freedom to be able to choose his own path in hockey. He and fellow Soviet star Slava Fetisov led an ongoing struggle against Soviet authorities during the 1980s for the right to allow Russian players to play in the National Hockey League. In 1989, after years of battling against a draconian Soviet system, Larionov and Fetisov were given permission to play in the NHL. A barrier that had existed for decades was now broken and Soviet players were free to take their careers to the West.

Larionov went on to play for the Vancouver Canucks, San Jose Sharks, Detroit Red Wings, Florida Panthers and New Jersey Devils in a NHL career that lasted through the 2003-04 season. He was an integral part of the Red Wings' back-to-back Stanley Cup Champion teams in 1997 and 1998. After the clinching victory in 1997, Larionov was the first player handed the cup by Detroit captain Steve Yzerman, and he and his Russian teammates made history that summer by bringing Lord Stanley's Cup to Russia for the first time ever. During the 2002 playoffs, he famously scored the triple overtime goal that gave the Red Wings victory in Game 3 and helped propel them to another Stanley Cup title. Larionov was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 2008 and he currently works in the game as a player agent.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84lZw2pkz7U]Igor Larionov Scores in Triple Overtime - YouTube[/ame]

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Soon is now- looks like they're starting to gear up for Friday's Opening Ceremonies. Actually some events start Thursday before the official opening.

igor_larionov_with_2002_stanley_cup_14_photofile.jpg

SiriusXM Presents Special Radio Series with Pioneering Russian Hockey Star Igor Larionov

> "Igor Larionov's Triple Overtime Radio" debuts Feb. 7 and airs during the Sochi Winter Olympics

> Series features the Hall of Famer, in his own words, discussing his days as a Soviet star, his revolutionary struggle for the freedom to play in the NHL, and his thoughts on the Olympics and today's game

NEW YORK, Feb. 5, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- SiriusXM announced today that it will present a special radio series with Hall of Fame center and pioneering former Russian hockey star Igor Larionov, who helped change the course of his sport's history with his fight to break down the barrier that prevented Soviet players from joining the National Hockey League.

Igor Larionov's Triple Overtime Radio will be hosted by Alyonka Larionov, Igor's daughter, and will air as a five-part series on SiriusXM Sports Zone (channel 92). The program debuts Feb. 7 at 8:00 pm ET, the first day of the 2014 Winter Olympics, and will air throughout the Games taking place in Sochi, Russia.

Larionov will talk at length about his experiences in the Soviet Union, his struggle for hockey freedom, his success in the Olympics and the NHL, and the development of the game - both on and off the ice - from the time he was a young player to today.

Subsequent episodes of the special will air at 8:00 pm ET on Feb. 9, Feb. 11, Feb. 12 and Feb. 14, leading up to the USA vs. Russia Men's Hockey game on Feb. 15.

"I've had quite a journey through this game, from the time I first laced up skates as a boy in the Soviet Union through my years in the NHL," said Larionov. "I'm pleased and grateful to SiriusXM for the chance to talk about my experiences and share what I've learned."

"Igor Larionov was a superstar on the ice but his lasting legacy is the trail he blazed for his fellow countrymen, giving them a level of freedom that countless others enjoyed after him," said Scott Greenstein, SiriusXM's President and Chief Content Officer. "His story is remarkable and enormously important in the history of the game. As we watch nations and players from around the world compete on the ice in Sochi, we're pleased to have him share that story and his thoughts on today's game with our listeners."

Nicknamed "The Professor" both for his remarkable intelligence and bespectacled appearance, Larionov was one of the Soviet Union's greatest players and one of the best centers in the world. He starred for Khimik Voskresensk and powerhouse CSKA Moscow, and helped lead the Soviet national team to two Olympic gold medals in 1984 and 1988 and four gold medals, a silver and a bronze in the World Championships between 1982 and 1989.

Amid all of his success both internationally and at home, Larionov made it clear that he wanted the freedom to be able to choose his own path in hockey. He and fellow Soviet star Slava Fetisov led an ongoing struggle against Soviet authorities during the 1980s for the right to allow Russian players to play in the National Hockey League. In 1989, after years of battling against a draconian Soviet system, Larionov and Fetisov were given permission to play in the NHL. A barrier that had existed for decades was now broken and Soviet players were free to take their careers to the West.

Larionov went on to play for the Vancouver Canucks, San Jose Sharks, Detroit Red Wings, Florida Panthers and New Jersey Devils in a NHL career that lasted through the 2003-04 season. He was an integral part of the Red Wings' back-to-back Stanley Cup Champion teams in 1997 and 1998. After the clinching victory in 1997, Larionov was the first player handed the cup by Detroit captain Steve Yzerman, and he and his Russian teammates made history that summer by bringing Lord Stanley's Cup to Russia for the first time ever. During the 2002 playoffs, he famously scored the triple overtime goal that gave the Red Wings victory in Game 3 and helped propel them to another Stanley Cup title. Larionov was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 2008 and he currently works in the game as a player agent.

Igor Larionov Scores in Triple Overtime - YouTube
Damn. It's like they are watching you or something....

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
They do monitor this as well as DRC's twitter- I have noticed that sometimes right after we post something, it magically shows up on SXM somewhere. Wait... isn't that supposed to be the other way around?? :confused: :idunno:

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
They do monitor this as well as DRC's twitter- I have noticed that sometimes right after we post something, it magically shows up on SXM somewhere. Wait... isn't that supposed to be the other way around?? :confused: :idunno:

At the very least, I can picture someone over there shouting "Damn! He beat me to the post.....AGAIN!!!" :crazy:

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
No, the problem with SXM is their Programming Dept does not have a good communication line between other departments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk