The Renewal Game...

Discussion in 'SiriusXM 2.0' started by TomDac, Dec 2, 2014.

1. TomDac

TomDac New Member

Hey all.
    I've had Sirius since Howard Stern made the move... He's the ONLY reason I subscribe.

I bought a new Lexus last year and it came with a year of free Sirius, which just ended. I got several emails saying I could get 46% off if I reactivate. I noticed that it was for the Sirius "Select" package, which doesn't include Stern channels..

I got on the chat window from the Sirius webpage and asked if they were offering any discounts for the "all access" package, and was told that they don't do that and I'd have to pay the $18+ per month for that.

I declined.... Was talking to some friends and they said that every year they cancel their subscription right before it auto-renews and then a few days later, call in and sign up again for a much discounted rate.. They said they've been doing this for many years. So, I just got off the phone with Sirius and tried that same thing... SUCCESS. 1 whole year of Sirius "All access" for $131 with no cancellation fee. Auto Renew will put me at the normal rate, but I can cancel a few days prior to avoid that from happening....

This whole game seems like a lot of wasted customer service man hours... why not just offer that in the first place??

What are your thoughts on this?

2. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

It's true. A lot of us did that year after year after year and it works.

Personally, I got so sick and tired of having to do that, I just dumped SXM.

3. Vols44

Vols44 Well-Known Member

I called in February to say that 199 for all access was too excessive and asked them what they could do and they cut the price in half with no hassle. Me happy.

4. blueneon36

blueneon36 Active Member

When calling Retentions:

I have been offered All Access for $119.00+ US Music Royalty Fee.

I have also been offered XM Premier for $86 with no internet access +US Music Royalty Fee.

Also, XM Select (no Howard), 6 months for $25. Its no secret. Sirius does this all the time.... as long as you call retentions first.....

I have cancelled Sirius altogether and have found a way to continue on with the android app for free.

5. kryptonite

kryptonite Well-Known Member

I think my deal is $112 for a year of Sirius Select plus the internet of which they usually give me a month free, but I think I had more than that this past year when "My SXM Lithium" wasn't working properly and no one knew how to fix it...but it eventually got fixed.

Or maybe the $112 includes the internet. I know I started at "half off for a year of Sirius" which didn't include the Best Of stuff or internet and it was like $75 and eventually went up.

But hey, if blueneon is getting the extra channels for only $7 more than I am then maybe that's a good deal...IDK what I'd use them for, but it certainly the "cost per channel" would be reduced...

6. MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio1 MadisonRadio

I've done the 6months for $25 before. If you can get a price reduction on your cable or SXM, good for you. The opportunities come up

7. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

Doesn't it piss anyone else off that they don't give long-term subs the discount right off the bat?

I hate playing games.

blueneon36 likes this.
  8. Ehilbert1

Ehilbert1 Ooh-Rah!!!!

It's not just Sirius. Cable and satellite Companies do the same thing. You have to call into get a discount. Some are waking up to the fact people are canceling. Before T Mobile made the wireless industry wake up you couldn't get a deal on Verizon. Now they offer the unlimited everything with 2 gigs of data for $60. That also comes with phone subsidy. So it's not just Sirius.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4

HecticArt, MadisonRadio1 and hyson like this.
  9. blueneon36

blueneon36 Active Member

I think that if you say something like "I have been a subscriber since 2002 or 2005 or even 2007 or so, I think you should get these prices offered to you right off the bat if you are calling in to cancel.

Since I have cancelled, I have received a few mailers to come back at 6 months for $25. My thoughts are... why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?

I don't know why people still pay full price annual rates for Sirius. Its still a great deal for those who live in a bad cell phone reception area, don't have unlimited data on said cell phone, or are extremely rural.

In my situation, I have better things to spend my annual subscription $$$ on.... like stuff for my house.

hyson and Ehilbert1 like this.
  10. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

That's what I'm saying!!! There are so many friggin choices and options available that for these companies not to try to entice the consumer is entirely their fault.

I cut cable, Sirius, Hyundai BlueLink and newspaper. I only have what I need and pay for only what I want. They need to understand this.

Ehilbert1 likes this.
  11. Ehilbert1

Ehilbert1 Ooh-Rah!!!!

Their in it to make money. I bet only a small fraction call in to try to get a better deal. Most people just pay the bill and move on aka my parents. They like what they have so they just pay the bill. They have time warner cable. One of their DVR's went out so they took it in. The girl at the desk said.... Wow you have our really old equipment. My dad says yep till it died. They sent a guy out that day and replaced all their old equipment. They didn't care as long as it worked and their shows were recorded. Older people are like that. So companies charge what they charge.

I would love to try to cut the cord but it ain't happening with the wife and daughter. We got a good deal going with Dish so we're happy for now.

blueneon36 and hyson like this.
  12. kryptonite

I just re-upped. All they were offering me was a year of All-Access for approx $150. I had some money on credit with my account at SiriusXM, so it was basically about $30 out of my pocket.

I guess they're really trying to do away with the Sirius Everything with the internet add-on. I could have got that package through the cancellations department, but it would have been more. (Yet, oddly enough, the regular price for Sirius Everything with internet is less than the regular price for All-Access.)

13. Vols44

Vols44 Well-Known Member

The company isn't hurting with expired summer vehicle sale six month subs expiring and the surge of Christmas gifted ones on the way. I expect a dip in Jan-Mar when SXM will lower the bar to retain annuals with 99 per year carrots.

14. MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio1 MadisonRadio

[QUOTE="kryptonite, post: 381549, member: 387"

I guess they're really trying to do away with the Sirius Everything with the internet add-on. I could have got that package through the cancellations department, but it would have been more. (Yet, oddly enough, the regular price for Sirius Everything with internet is less than the regular price for All-Access.)[/QUOTE]

I'm curious whether the SiriusXM radios will be able to pick up all the channels in the internet 700's soon. Since they've added Navidad to 785 without dropping anything, maybe it can be done.

15. kryptonite

No clue. I have a Sirius Sportster 7? 8? No clue what radio I have. Heck, the last time I regularly listened to sports on the Sirius radio, they interrupted regular programming for sports PbP.