Trying Slacker and Pandora

TX WJ

Intelligent Donkey
Oct 15, 2008
Chucktown
I like Slacker over Pandora. But unfortunately, they don't want us streaming during working hours, and it's not really practical to use my cell phone as my radio at work, so Sirius is still my #1 choice for 10+ hours a day.

I am curious about what's in store for us with Sirius 2.0.

Slacker support caching now with a Premium account.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I'm sorry - I meant the question as: If I refresh a channel, then go out and start driving, how long can I drive before it ends (no more songs to play in the cache)?

From what I've read and from my experience there seems to be about 100 or so songs in each channel. Upon refresh it generally removes some and add some new ones, to keep the playlist fresh. I find that if I do this about once a week, though I have gone as long as a month. The playlist do stay pretty fresh. It isn't that you won't ever hear repeats, its just that it will play through those 100 songs before you do again. Which would take several hours.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
From what I've read and from my experience there seems to be about 100 or so songs in each channel. Upon refresh it generally removes some and add some new ones, to keep the playlist fresh. I find that if I do this about once a week, though I have gone as long as a month. The playlist do stay pretty fresh. It isn't that you won't ever hear repeats, its just that it will play through those 100 songs before you do again. Which would take several hours.

Slacker will repeat the songs after the 100 is played. Probably translates to 7 hours of listening per station before repeat. For me I refresh every 3 or so days or when I start hearing repeats. Also they have algorithms to mix it up so they will not just play 100 and repeat.

JMII

Nov 21, 2008
Margate, FL USA
Slacker will repeat the songs after the 100 is played. Probably translates to 7 hours of listening per station before repeat. For me I refresh every 3 or so days or when I start hearing repeats. Also they have algorithms to mix it up so they will not just play 100 and repeat.

I assume your talking about the paid version. Because I have the free version on my iPhone and it seems like it only caches maybe 15 songs as I start hearing repeats after only 2 hours. Granted I skip stuff so that is decreasing the playlist quicker but there is no way I've gone 7 hours between a repeat.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I assume your talking about the paid version. Because I have the free version on my iPhone and it seems like it only caches maybe 15 songs as I start hearing repeats after only 2 hours. Granted I skip stuff so that is decreasing the playlist quicker but there is no way I've gone 7 hours between a repeat.

I am a Plus subscriber. I listen to a custom station so I don't skip that often. I haven't really got my watch out but when I start hearing familiar songs again, I refresh. I do it about every 3 days. I usually listen to about 2-3 hours a day most days.

My logic for 7 hours was 100 songs * 4 minute / song time = 400 minutes of music which is 6.67 hours of music (which I rounded to 7 since 4 minutes was only an aproximation anyways).

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I cannot speak to the free version either because I am a plus subscriber. The subscription cost is so cheap I see no reason not to subscribe myself. None the less my user experience mirrors that of IRBS in that you should end up with about 7 hours of playback for being inundated with repeats.

kingchuck69

Joker! Joker! Joker!
Oct 11, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
chuck69.com
I downloaded the two to my cell phone, and here's my thoughts:

Pandora's not bad, especially if you have a favorite band. I typed in "Nine Inch Nails" and every other song's from Trent, but I also heard other bands somewhat tied in to NIN like Marilyn Manson and Johnny Cash. However, I also heard John Mellencamp's "Jack and Diane" on my station. Huh?!?! Plus, what's with the obscure ambient crap like Zero 7 mixed in?

However, I like Slacker much, much better. It's more like Sirius since there's a variety of channels and artists, and their 80's alternative station's quite awesome. I've given the 80's and 90's alternative and the hard rock channels good listens and even though I got rid of a few artists from these stations, they're all good, IMO. I even like the fact that the hard rock channel does a great job with new music. They might be better than Octane, which has gotten stale with lame-o chick rock and obscure junk. However, hearing PSAs every three songs and watching an Olay ad because I changed the station can get old.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I downloaded the two to my cell phone, and here's my thoughts:

Pandora's not bad, especially if you have a favorite band. I typed in "Nine Inch Nails" and every other song's from Trent, but I also heard other bands somewhat tied in to NIN like Marilyn Manson and Johnny Cash. However, I also heard John Mellencamp's "Jack and Diane" on my station. Huh?!?! Plus, what's with the obscure ambient crap like Zero 7 mixed in?

However, I like Slacker much, much better. It's more like Sirius since there's a variety of channels and artists, and their 80's alternative station's quite awesome. I've given the 80's and 90's alternative and the hard rock channels good listens and even though I got rid of a few artists from these stations, they're all good, IMO. I even like the fact that the hard rock channel does a great job with new music. They might be better than Octane, which has gotten stale with lame-o chick rock and obscure junk. However, hearing PSAs every three songs and watching an Olay ad because I changed the station can get old.

Ads disappear for Slacker for $4.99/mo.

Brad Bishop

Dec 3, 2008
One thing I like about Slacker and don't like about Pandora is that Slacker gives me a pretty decent list of predefined channels which I can then alter/fine tune.

Pandora is more like starting off with a blank slate. It left me thinking, "I want to listen to some general music I like and go from there, not start from scratch and have to start rating everything so that I can get that one channel of music I like.."

Perhaps I'm missing it on Pandora. It looks like it's sophisticated in that if you spent a good bit of time with it then you really could have nice streams/channels. I just don't want to put that much effort into it.