TTR1 HTTP Error

IndustrialH

"Not dead... just resting"
Not sure where to throw this but last night my TTR1 decided to throw up a HTTP error. I gave it a hard reset, confirmed my passwords on both accounts, and went through a full setup using both the above and below the 49th accounts. No change whatsoever, anyone else in the same boat? Ethernet and WiFi connect ok.

DJL

Jan 20, 2009
Hey industrialH.
I am also sadly in the same boat as you. I tried to change my username and password. I did a hard reset. What I'm noticing that is happening is that now that I changed my username and pw, it is not saving it and continue to get the HTTP error as well. Not sure if there is anyone who can help us with this or what other options we have. I really like this radio and so bummed if this is the end because of some screw up on updates or something??? Anyone else able to help??

Thanks

• Sad
Reactions: IndustrialH

DJL

Jan 20, 2009
Well it's helpful to know the TTR2 still works. I'm wondering if they are trying to phase out the TTR1 with the release of the TTR3

• Sad
Reactions: IndustrialH

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
A thought. I think SXM streams through HTTPS protocol. I wonder if the certificates have just expired? It would not surprise me that they have 'forgotten' about the TTR1 now that they have moved on to newer models. Wouldn't be the first hardware they have abandoned.

Reactions: IndustrialH and DJL

IndustrialH

A thought. I think SXM streams through HTTPS protocol. I wonder if the certificates have just expired? It would not surprise me that they have 'forgotten' about the TTR1 now that they have moved on to newer models. Wouldn't be the first hardware they have abandoned.
Yes looks like abandoned. From the downdetector website:
Status overview
Quote:
Robert Arnold10 hours ago • edited
For those of you who have TTR1 Internet Radios I want to share with you that Sirius XM Advanced Help Desk just confirmed that these units are not longer supported and won't be use-able going forward. They suggested purchasing new equipment. Note - I'm not going to. WIll just install the app on my iPhone and Bluetooth into a speaker while using WiFi only data or maybe reposition my Alexa and use the SXM skill. Oh well, I really liked those radios.
Unquote.

Am I annoyed ... yep!

• Sad
Reactions: DJL and HecticArt

IndustrialH

Life and Times with TTRs.

Warning: This meanders all over the place.

Initially I had planned to whip up a review for the TTR3 SiriusXM radio, however coming across and obtaining a cheap TTR2 within a few months of the former, gave me the idea to compare the two in a real world comparison. Then, of course, other things got in the way, including the slowness of my typing skills these days, which to stay the least, is bloody frustrating.

As the whinging of twelve months or so ago indicated I was one of many who suddenly found their TTR1s to be nothing more than a large black alarm clock, that synchronised with the internet. Owning two of them just doubled the frustration, both in their failure to work and the pain of taking them to electronic recycling. The icing on the cake was the Grace Internet radio joining the club as well. As to why an Acoustic Research Internet radio (circa 2019) I paid $C5 for still works is beyond me, but who am I to question the electronic gods.

Eventually I decided to bite the bullet and replace the demised units, and as there was nothing available north of the 49th, I ordered the TTR3 from Taylor at TSS Radio. This, of course, put delivery in the hands of Canada Post, who I haven’t trusted since they lost one collectors item from the UK, and to prove their capabilities, delivered a correctly labelled parcel to me, twice, when it was actually destined to go to my daughter in Switzerland. The package never left town, on their own label they read the sender as the recipient. When I took it back to the post office the second time, I explained what had happened “twice”, and the postie said “… well I guess we won’t charge you again…” I could only reply “ it only travelled five blocks! ”. Third time lucky, it arrived in Interlaken within 8 days.

So naturally I tracked the unit with a degree of intensity usually reserved for computer parts at my work. The radio disappeared as soon as it crossed the border, last seen in Kentucky. A number of days later, I was notified it was available for collection at the local post office (what route it took .. who knows.). The next day and three bus routes later, since I no longer drive, it was sitting on my lap.

The TTR3 is a stylish looking unit, using the same design and control layout as Grace Mondo Elite and its predecessor the Mondo Plus (now the Mondo Brick!). I actually thought I found a TTR3 at a local thrift store for $C15, until I checked the logo and saw “Grace”.

The unit is reasonably easy to setup with WiFi, and account information, although it was initially less than eager to connect to the Telus router. I had a suspicion this was courtesy of “Smart Steering” on the router which is meant to automatically juggle 2.4 and 5 GHz connections, but tends to drop the ball on many an occasion, by trying to switch devices to 5 GHz, even if unsupported. Locking the TTR3 to a 2.4 connection in the router settings resolved the problem, and after a couple of hours I ran the firmware update.

It was then down to setting up favourites, including the internet only channels. This did require patience as the unit is not a snappy responder, but definitely quicker than the TTR1. There were a number of lockups in the first 72 hours or so, requiring a power cycle to resolve, but things settled after that. The best thing I did decide on was to use an Ethernet adaptor rather than WiFi. There was a old D-link Ethernet to USB unit in my collection that only supported Windows XP and Linux (of course), which seemed to minimise the occasional delay issue.

The units most obvious negative, in my view is its size. Bass reproduction is limited by the acoustics the shell provides, compared to the TTR2. Placing the unit on a bookcase helps enhance the bass, compared to open placement. I was not craving Bose or Tivoli bass levels, just a touch more bass depth.
The playback functions are a treat, as is Pandora, some the the TTR1 was void of.

20220516_084812_result.jpg

A couple of months after the TTR3 arrived, I noticed a TTR2 for sale on Facebook Marketplace. The owner no longer wanted it as his girlfriend had cancelled the service, and he had been freeloading on her account. With no remote, and in very good condition he was asking $C25, so it was a given. It was in the next major city, where my son lives, so I arranged for him to grab it.

The fact I didn’t see him for another 4 weeks simply instilled patience.

It was in very good condition, the plastic film was still on (stiil is) and there were only a couple of minor cosmetic scratches. Since I met my son at the my exs’, I was uncertain about powering up the unit up and testing it, as her satellite internet was a tad inconsistent. The connection was ok, and fingers crossed I ran the firmware update. This magically changed the interface to a clone of the TTR3, minus the date display in standby, which removed the option of a comparing the two interfaces. It’s only noticeable flaw is a line of dead pixels just below the top of the screen, which has no affect on its operation in the slightest.

One thing was obvious, it sounded better in the lower frequencies. The larger size, basically a box with a small rear port, seemed to make a difference. If the unit had the same wooden case as the original Grace units, rather than plastic it would be close to perfect for its size.

After a week or so of alternating between the units, both with Ethernet connections, I opted to stick with the TTR2, although it appeared to be a touch less responsive (it takes 8-10 seconds to stop playing after the power button is pressed), the sound was definitely better.

However, it has found a loving home in the kitchen of my half-girlfriend, who loves her 50/60’s, Blend, and a touch of Sinatra and the Jazz channels. Placed in a counter corner, safely away from food preparation it has become the perfect culinary companion. In this environment the clarity of the mid and higher frequencies is perfect. I know that any attempt to remove it, on my part, would be short lived, as it is in daily use. It is using WiFi, and any channel changing delays aren’t an issue, as it usually stays on one channel for hours, often to the point of timing out.

20220519_214026_result.jpg

One of the TTR3’s major pluses is the size of the remote, which is actually made for adult hands, and similar in size to Audiovox remotes of days gone by. It is, of course, physically identical to the one used by Grace for the internet radio, with the buttons performing slightly different function.

Also, if you have a limited number of favourites, the bigger preset buttons are handy, compared to the TTR2, although it is a two handed operation as the unit tends to slide back as you push the buttons. The TTR2 is less prone to this.

Both units offer Pandora, and program replays on various channels. The replay function I use mostly on Radio Classics as the ads are removed between items.

Both have USB connectors for use with Ethernet to USB adaptors, and the same type of power supplier. The TTR3 has RCA audio output, which I have not tested, and hence, will not venture a comment. Both have audio out in 3.5mm format.

All in all, I find both of the units a better alternative at home than using the app, unless a thunderous room filling Bluetooth sound is required, and have superior sound compared to the TTR1. Mono is not an issue for us, but it may be to some. The TTR1 was stereo, but with the speakers close together its audio could not be described as “spatial”. Of course, both residences have satellite units (Sirius) as well, mine is 100% terrestrial, while the half-girlfriend is in a position to receive both signal types. No internet – no worries.

20220118_184910_result.jpg

And there we have it, you have probably realised you just wasted a few minutes of your life, my apologies. :)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
My TTR2 works great except when the unit is off the time is off and the display is blank. I know the display works because when it powers on I see the clock until it decides to blank it. And when I turn it on it shows the SXM channel just fine. But I hardly ever use it as an alarm clock anymore. I tend to use the app on my phone or my browser to listen more.

IndustrialH

My TTR2 works great except when the unit is off the time is off and the display is blank. I know the display works because when it powers on I see the clock until it decides to blank it. And when I turn it on it shows the SXM channel just fine. But I hardly ever use it as an alarm clock anymore. I tend to use the app on my phone or my browser to listen more.
Turning the selector dial when its in standby usually increases and decreases the display brightness, and with the TTR3 the date is added at the bottom, when it is at a day brightness level. Doing this seems override the default settings.