US TV News "In Dead Trouble"

Jon

Dec 16, 2008

Former New York Times CEO Mark Thompson has said US TV news is in “dead trouble” as it loses audiences under the age of 60.

Thompson, who used to be BBC Director General and ran the NYT between 2012 and 2020, described US news channels as being “completely unchanged” since the 1980s, stating that the UK has done more to innovate during that time.

“News feels like a particularly old-fashioned style of broadcasting aimed entirely at older audiences,” he said at today’s Freeview Outside the Box event. “I live in the US and [TV news] seems completely unchanged since the 1980s. I think it is in dead trouble.”

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
The 'attempts' at alternative news like Cheddar or Newsy aren't that great. Any form of news I get is usually from NPR, probably the most balanced source there is.

Reactions: Channel98

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
We tend to watch the local news at 6pm, often as background for dinner, on the NBC affiliate. Then that leads into the national news with Lester Holt (the man who's always on TV). It's a half hour, minus commercials, minus the feel-good piece at the end. So about 15 minutes of actual national/world news. Plus, I get to see what new drugs big pharma has come out with.

In all honesty, it's not a lot of time to spend, to get the news of the world, and it's told in an interesting, palatable way. It gives me more than just what I get online. And then at 10pm, we have another local news broadcast on, to help put us to sleep.

Reactions: JHDK

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
And then at 10pm, we have another local news broadcast on, to help put us to sleep.
That's the slogan they should go for. "Late Local News that will put you to sleep".

I get most of my news from the apps of several news sources. I open, scan the headlines. Click on anything that interests me.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
After the dinnertime news, local newsmagazine show, and Jeopardy, it's 2 to 3 hours of "what do you want to watch?". I mean, we watch stuff, but we're not running out of time trying to fit it in. So the TV news is just part of our days. We're old.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
I watched another episode of Fresh Prince Of Bel Air Season 1. Thanksgiving episode. Good timing!

25 minutes of TV... 25 more than usual!

As for watching the news....

202T_NoGnus_LG_grande.jpg

Reactions: scotchandcigar

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
We'll watch the headlines and weather on local news and some of the national news, but that's about it.
It's mostly on in the background.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
After the dinnertime news, local newsmagazine show, and Jeopardy, it's 2 to 3 hours of "what do you want to watch?". I mean, we watch stuff, but we're not running out of time trying to fit it in. So the TV news is just part of our days. We're old.
My wife turns on HLN and watches Forensic Files to go to sleep.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I still watch my local news. My favorite is the Fox channel down here but it's not owned by whoever runs most of the other local Fox affiliates. It's some company who only has like 3 stations nationwide. I do switch around the other local news channels too but those almost seem national how their formats and graphics are exactly the same in so many parts of the country.

For cable news, pretty much 100% of my intake of that is in Youtube clip form. The only time I actually watch cable news on the proper cable channel is when I go to my aunt and uncle's house. They like keeping it on...and they are both like 65 so maybe that article has a point.

MonoStereo

May 12, 2020
Kansas City
I mentioned in another thread that I have news on one of my office tee vees a lot...it's a mix of local news, CNBC, & CNBC World mainly. But it's mainly there in case there's some kinda breaking news, & the sound's NEVER on. Kinda funny that I do this, because I find TV News to be 99.9% garbage - & a big part of the reason Americans don't know shit about their government.