Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
this was my dinner tonight:

30669_spicy_slow_cooker_beef_chili_3000x2000.jpg

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
I was just curious. It's been a while since I've taken an interest in this site.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Nope.
I was close to being vegetarian for about a year. My doctor told me that my cholesterol was really high, and he wanted me to change my diet to see if that would help. My numbers only got a little better, so he put me on pills. Now I'm back to delicious steak and other things with feet.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I was a vegetarian briefly in college because my girlfriend was a vegetarian and we were very poor. Once I got some cash I bought some meat.

I love vegetables, but only after they've been digested and turned into delicious meat.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
My brother is a vegetarian... and I'm very much not one. Funny how that happens.

We'll go dine at a restaurant and he will order a black bean burrito, and I will order a porterhouse.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I would prefer having only seafood and turkey for meat, and in fact we do eat more of that now. But I don't usually cook for myself, so we sometimes have beef, chicken, or pork.

I know some strict vegans; they can't even have bread, it's pretty tough.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
I know some strict vegans; they can't even have bread, it's pretty tough.
I wonder why no bread. There should be zero animal products in that...

The vegan thing isn't easy. Critter products are in everything.

You're not kidding. But even in the last 2 years, for me, it's gotten easier as more and more companies are expanding their lines and more grocery stores are selling their stuff.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

Reactions: HecticArt

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I found this on the internets:

"Scanning the bags of supermarket baked goods, to my dismay I found that the vast majority of them are not vegan as they included whey or dry milk in their ingredients. Pretty much all of them contain mono- or di-glycerides, which are most likely derived from a plant source, but if you want to be extra careful, well I can't tell you for sure.

One great way to locate vegan bread on your shelves is to look for Jewish or Kosher-friendly brands. Nearly all of these are made with no milk products whatsoever; It's against Jewish dietary law to mix milk with meat, and those manufacturer's don't want you to buy bread that you can't put pastrami on! If you like rye bread, you're in luck.

Pepperidge Farms bread is not vegan, including their burger and hot dog buns. Thomas' English Muffins are not vegan either, though I found several vegan-friendly brands sitting right next to them on the shelf. Just about every brand and type of bagels is vegan (except egg bagels, obviously), The popular Lender's and Thomas New York Style brands included.

Arnold brand bread is a mixed bag. Their regular white and whole wheat pullman loaves are vegan, but most of their "Country," "Health-full," or "Grains & More" line are not, as they contain milk products. Their hamburger buns are vegan, which is good news, as they placed second in our hamburger bun tasting. I have a bag of their white bread and their burger buns on my shelf right now.

My beloved Martin's Potato Rolls are not vegan, unfortunately, but Arnold's potato rolls are. Other largely vegan-friendly bread brands include Cobblestone Mill, Dutch Country, and Baker's Inn."