Watercolors vs. Real Jazz

Discussion in 'Jazz, Blues, Standards, Ambient' started by Bandit 5160, Dec 23, 2008.

1. MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio1 MadisonRadio

A Jazzy Christmas on WatercolorsYour annual soundtrack for a cool yule is here! Watercolors provides a jazzy soundtrack for Christmas with hip instrumental holiday classics and more! Celebrate family traditions and carol along with nonstop favorites from the likes of Kenny G, Anita Baker and Vince Guaraldi. Plus hear exclusive live performances from “A Peter White Christmas” and the “Dave Koz & Friends” concerts. The festivities begin Christmas Eve at 6am Eastern/3am Pacific. It’s A Jazzy Christmas on Watercolors!

semipenguin likes this.
  2. MadisonRadio1

Christmas Day on Real Jazz
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    12:00 am - 2:00 am:Live from Jazz at Lincoln Center“Big Band Holidays with Wynton Marsalis & Cecile McLorin Salvant.” The sprirt of the holiday season is best captured by the music this joyous time inspires which is why Wynton Marsalis and the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra celebrate this most wonderful time of the year with Big Band Holidays. In a live broadcast Wynton and his crew is joined by the 2010 Thelonious Monk International Jazz Vocal Competition winner Cecile McLorin Salvant.

HecticArt and semipenguin like this.
  3. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I saw Wynton do his Xmas show there a number of years ago. Should be a good listen. Thanks for posting!

MadisonRadio1 likes this.
  4. MadisonRadio1

Dave Koz Lounge Sunday 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
    The Dave Koz Lounge is a weekly, two-hour hangout with one of the biggest stars in contemporary jazz and airs exclusively on SiriusXM.

Each week, Dave showcases many of his favorite tunes as well as music from his influences. He’ll share his stories as a performer over the years, invite some of his fellow musicians to stop by and even interact with his fans. Become a part of “Club Koz” and email your questions to DaveKoz@SiriusXM.com to be included in the show!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This one goes to Watercolors

HecticArt likes this.
  5. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I was listening to Koz on Real Jazz a couple of days ago. Good stuff.

6. MadisonRadio1

Here's another one for Real Jazz. I've been listening to this show on and off over the years. I like the in-studio tutorials more than the live concert one's:

Wynton Marsalis
    Jazz For Young People
    9:00 am - 10:00 am Sat

Marsalis makes jazz easier for anyone to understand and appreciate. The show is patterned after Leonard Bernstein's tv show from the 60's, "Jazz For Young People."

HecticArt likes this.
  7. MadisonRadio1

Real Jazz:

JAZZ ACROSS THE AMERICAS
    Sat Feb 28 8:00 pm ET Ch.67

Wynton Marsalis and the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra perform music by Lalo Schifrin of Argentina, Chico O'Farrill of Cuba, and more. Live broadcast!

HecticArt likes this.
  8. MadisonRadio1

Tony Bennett is now a special guest on the Dick Golden Show:

American Jazz
    10:00 am - 12:00 pm Ch.67

Dick Golden and special guest Tony Bennett open up the Great American Song Book for two hours of swingin' classic jazz and vocals.

HecticArt and semipenguin like this.
  9. MadisonRadio1

But Watercolors has PJ and Lily:

Watercolors with PJ Faulkner
    2:00 pm - 8:00 pm Sat

PJ Faulkner has been with the Sirius XM family now for almost a decade and she loves the chance to hang with you. Whether it's Sade, Brian Culbertson, Boney James or the many other talented musicians she gets to play on Watercolors, she really enjoys celebrating this truly amazing sonic art form known as contemporary jazz!

Watercolors with Lily
    9:00 am - 3:00 pm Weekdays

With a background in both traditional and contemporary jazz, Lily keeps c-jazz fans in touch with their favorite artists as the music director of Watercolors. Get the latest from morning to early afternoon as she plays Chris Botti, George Benson, Brian Culbertson and more.

HecticArt likes this.
  10. MadisonRadio1

April is Jazz Appreciation Month:

Thursday, April 2
    Watercolors (Ch. 66) celebrates the connection of jazz and gospel with guest host, saxophonist Kirk Whalum showcasing his new album, The Gospel According to Jazz Chapter IV.
    Tuesday, April 7
    Real Jazz (Ch. 67) presents Lady Day Radio, an all day celebration co-hosted by vocalists Dee Dee Bridgewater and Jose James featuring music by and inspired by Billie Holiday, celebrating the 100th anniversary of her birth. (And to add to your personal collection: Billie Holiday: The Centennial Collection features 20 tracks recorded over her entire career.

HecticArt likes this.
  11. MadisonRadio1

Boney James will be a guest DJ on Watercolors today:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Boney James Guest Star DJ
    Thu Jun 25 3:00 pm ET
    Saxophonist Boney James is the next guest star DJ on Watercolors! As an instrumentalist, Boney is a master at blurring the lines between genres, and now he’s doing the same between eras calling his new album Futuresoul - “retro music for a modern age.” Check out Boney behind the mic as he takes over the Watercolors studio spinning his favorite jazz songs as well as a few from his new album.

HecticArt likes this.
  12. MadisonRadio1

I'm finally getting to listen to Swing Street on Real Jazz. Not much talk but lots of good music.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sat Jul 11 10:00 pm - Sun Jul 12 12:00 am
    Swing Street Ch. 67

Swingin' music featuring big bands and orchestras from yesterday and today.

HecticArt likes this.
  13. MadisonRadio1

I had been wanting to catch this show since Luna was taken off of satellite. I finally got to last Friday.

Fri Sep 11 9:00 pm - Sat Sep 12 12:00 am
    Manteca - Latin Jazz Ch.67
    Put on your dancing shoes for some sizzling Latin Jazz from Dizzy Gillespie, Tito Puente, Eddie Palmieri, Cal Tjader, Paquito D'Rivera, Chucho Valdes, Mongo Santamaria and more.

HecticArt likes this.
  14. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Sounds like a fun show. Real Jazz is a go-to channel for me for a few hours every week while I work, or during my commute.

I usually don't stumble onto the shows though. I should look for some.

MadisonRadio1 likes this.
  15. MadisonRadio1

Oh they got some really good shows. I can't put my radio down.

HecticArt likes this.
  16. MadisonRadio1

I got to listen again on Friday night. This is really good show. It's like having Luna even though I no longer have access to Luna since it was taken off the radios.
    But I just switched to the monthly all access plan so I will be able to get Luna and some other lost channels again. Just as soon as I figure out how to access SXM on my laptop.

HecticArt likes this.