What Do You Do With Old Computers?

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I have three old Gateway laptops that have all died on me in various ways. One doesn't even have a power cord anymore.

I read on the Goodwill donation webpage, they take old laptops.

Goodwill Donation Guidelines and Accepted Items | Amazing Goodwill

It doesn't say they have to be working. I wouldn't even know what to do to keep personal information from being taken off the hard drives.

What do you do with your old computers?

What do you think I should do with my old laptops?

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I give them to Goodwill. I have a pretty strong feeling that everything ends up ruining the water and causing birth defects in some village in China, but there's a glimmer of hope that the "recycling" is done in an environmentally friendly manner. Goodwill is a pretty large national charity to engage in a program they hadn't researched fully.

Reactions: semipenguin

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I pull the hard drives and drop them off at Best Buy. They take them for free. They are supposed to recycle them.
We used to have fun when I worked for geek squad destroying old hard drives. We took a hammer to them and just went off. It was good stress relief after a hard day at work. :D

Reactions: semipenguin

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
I use my old laptop that still lives as a linux machine. I have a huge stockpile of old machines, printers, and other electronic relics sitting in boxes in my basement. Should probably drop that off at a recycling center. I destroyed the hard drives of non functional machines if they were too small to be re-purposed as an external/backup drive.