What's The Oldest Radio You Still Have Active ?

Discussion in 'Sirius Radios' started by Fergz99, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Fergz99

Fergz99 Member

I found my skyfi2 during a move last year and reactivated it, works like a champ. Bought that in 2005 and I still have a Sirius 1 that was also 2005 still working. Inno was 2007, it isnt activated but will work in cradles, the battery is shot and no longer works as a portable but I guess I could just get a new battery If I needed a portable satellite radio. How many older radios are still in use out there ?

2. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

My SL2 is still running. By satellite standards it's not an antique, but it's getting there.

3. Casual Fan

Casual Fan Surprisingly nice

I still use my Stratus 5. I probably got it around 2007...

B001FBB04I-1.jpg

HecticArt likes this.
  4. blueneon36

blueneon36 Active Member

I still have 2 S-50's hanging around and the S-50 Executive Boombox. One of the 2 S-50's never got the kill signal, so it remains in my garage. I use it frequently in the summer when I am doing stuff outside. I love recording individual songs from recorded stations. Man that was a great feature! Thanks RIAA for screwing that up! :(

I have an SL100 in the closet, which is a total antique, but works. (Not Active)

I have an SL2 in the closet, which has a scratched screen but works well. Its only been reset and erased once, due to the buggy features that everyone knows about. (Not Active)

I also have a Stratus 4 that is at my uncles. It was activated until recently, when I upgraded him to the Onyx Plus.

Yeah.... Sirius has gotten alot of money from me over the years....

HecticArt likes this.
  5. Casual Fan

It's sad how lousy the radio selection has become. I guess everyone listening on mobile devices changed a lot of things. There used to be maybe a dozen models available for both Sirius and XM back in the day, with third-party manufacturers introducing new hardware.

6. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

I've only had two radios since subscribing in 2004.
    I used an Orbiter from 2004 to 2008, and I replaced it with a Starmate 5, which I've used since 2008.

HecticArt and Casual Fan like this.
  7. Casual Fan

I started with a Kenwood H2A, which my wife had installed by Circuit City as a surprise Christmas gift in 2003. I accidentally fried it messing around with it, and it makes me sad to think about it. My wife went to great lengths to surprise me...:(

30430272-2-440-overview-1.gif

Then I replaced it with an XACT Visor.

x612XTR3CK-f_SAT.jpeg

Not sure how it died, but the next one was an original Starmate, purchased on the way to work at WalMart in Christiansburg, VA.

starmate-st1_red.jpg
    I think I had an antenna issue with this one, which is probably what happened to the Visor, so Sirius sent me the Stratus 5.

HecticArt likes this.
  8. MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio1 MadisonRadio

I have a Stratus 5 too that I bring out during the warm-weather free previews.

9. Fergz99

Fergz99 Member

I think there are only 3 radios that they sell. Onyx EZ, Onyx Plus, & Status 7. The Lynx looked like it had nice features but was quickly abandoned, None that can record shows, and there are no portable options

10. Ehilbert1

Ehilbert1 Ooh-Rah!!!!

Sporster replay with the good strong radio. Lifetimed and still kicking ass for almost 10 years now.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

11. Casual Fan

So, folks, enlighten me. Is the lack of recording programming due to the RIAA? And why no more portable options? Is everyone using their cell phones?

12. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Yep, the RIAA neutered the Sat Rad. Even with a lower recording quality and no way to download the songs, they were going to prevent the SL2 and the radios that followed it from being released.

The portables were (IMO) a combination of things. Sat reception on portables was less than stellar, some of portable radios had pretty buggy software so they never really sold as well as they could have to catch on, WiFi has become available at a very fast pace, and cell phones have become a single interface for mobile entertainment. It seems hard to me for a company to justify the R&D expenses when someone else has already done it for you. SXM has gotten smart to embrace delivering content on multiple platforms. I still don't want to use my phone for music when I drive or sitting at work for 10 hours a day, but it's nice that it's there when I need it. It works for my situation, and I know results are different for others.

Casual Fan likes this.
  13. Fergz99

Fergz99 Member

Yes the RIAA had problems with people being able to record songs. This was in that days that followed napster. I think Sirius management decided that phones and on demend were better than portables that could record.

I loved my Inno, never had issues with recording and at least where I lived the portable part worked really well. I had a XMP3 as well it had bugs that the Inno didnt have. I recorded a show everyday and loved that option. With the Inno you could record 4 hours and each segment was its own block that you could save and you couldnt do that with the XMP3. I know people that loved the Mifi and the SL100 but i never used those radios.

14. goreds2

goreds2 Well-Known Member

I still record things all the time on the MyFi. Especially Casey Kasem since it is not ON DEMAND.

15. Vols44

Vols44 Well-Known Member

Wanted to segway the on demand subject and ask if my settings are on default. I just viewed 13 segments which seems like the tip of the iceberg. I haven't dabbled into the area much and wonder what gives.

Any/all advice is helpful. TIA

NM, I must be a random smattering of stuff much like a store front window supply. Used the search box to broaden my horizon.

16. kryptonite

kryptonite Well-Known Member

It seems like there were quite a few SiriusXM 2.0 radios for a while. Wow...I guess I'm a bit of out of it. It seems like all they have now are the three you mentioned, the Lynx and a "tabletop internet radio."

TSS still has a lot of the older Plug-and-Play radios though.

But yeah, the phone app is quite convenient. It updates as-needed (see the stiletto models that had to go through the outside provider for updates), the channel logos are current whenever the app gets updated, the channels all play the content of what it claims to play.... no more "we know it says Lithium, but it's really Siriusly Sinatra."

Plus, with all the radios built in to cars, the plug-and-play mindset really is dwindling.

17. microbob

microbob Well-Known Member

Here's my radio with a lifetime sub on it.

download.jpg

18. geosync

geosync Well-Known Member

Ahh the starmate replay. That was my first. I just sent my two remaining replays to a friend in Memphis. I still use the Inno. Works in my pocket walking around town, record every night and listen during the day, drop it, still works great. If I have to use my phone for this I'm not sure I'd subscribe. The satellite sound quality is really bad since 2012 or so, but internet radio is still worse sounding.

19. scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar arrogant bastard

Most people will claim the opposite, as is my experience.

20. geosync

geosync Well-Known Member

NO way man. It started after the merger to the XM side first around the time of the channel alignments. Then it took another hit when they moved channel numbers to match up on both sides. Then sometime in 2012 XM took it's final dump. It was an overnight difference in brightness and detail to the music channels. Also the top volume was somewhere near a 9 compared to what the 10 sounded like previous. The sirius side I can speak less to, but the music channels got even muddier during this time.