What's The Oldest Radio You Still Have Active ?

Discussion in 'Sirius Radios' started by Fergz99, Oct 5, 2014.

1. IndustrialH

IndustrialH "So much music .... so little time..."

Started with an XACT - oldest still running is a Streamer - keep a collection of spares - terrestrial here is terrible.

MadisonRadio1, microbob and HecticArt like this.
  2. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Welcome to the DRC IH.

3. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

My wife has an Airware somewhere which is active (lifetime) but she never listens to it. She is near 100% online or in the car. I have an SL2 still active which I record AT40 and 80s countdowns and listen later. Have a functional Tao radio which my son used to use but I deactivated it some time ago.

HecticArt likes this.
  4. dvarapala

dvarapala New Member

I'm still running my original TimeTrax TTS-100 from 2005. It has a lifetime sub and has been in daily use for 10 years (and counting).

[​IMG]

JHDK, IndustrialH, microbob and 2 others like this.
  5. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Nice! Where's the flux capacitor?

Welcome to the DRC dvarapala.

6. IndustrialH

In ignorance I had to run to Wikipedia to inform myself about TimeTrax - brilliant idea - no doubt hammered to death by the RIAA - I hope it keeps on keeping on for another ten plus years. :)

HecticArt likes this.
  7. dvarapala

dvarapala New Member

TimeTrax had a brief but bizarre history. It started out as an application for the XMPCR that would capture and save the audio coming out of the radio into individual .MP3 files. This app was very controversial at the time because it allowed people to effortlessly build up massive .MP3 collections at virtually no cost (and without paying royalties to the recording industry). The guy that wrote the app sold out to a larger company which soon produced a Sirius version (which I own). Apparently a software engineer named Jeremy Profitt, who helped TimeTrax reverse-engineer the protocol used by Sirius Connect radios, started a competing product called "Give Me Satellite Radio!" TimeTrax quickly put the kaibash on it, claiming ownership of all of Jeremy's satellite radio work; Jeremy subsequently disappeared from the satellite radio scene. Then TimeTrax itself disappeared about a year after that, for reasons that were never publicly disclosed. For a time the timetraxtech.com domain pointed to the XM web site, leading to speculation that XM and/or the RIAA had forced TimeTrax to shut down. Whatever the cause of TimeTrax's sudden demise, the irony is pretty huge. :)

Anyway, the TimeTrax software ("Recast") was pretty crappy. It never worked correctly, failing to even recognize my radio. Even if it had worked, the software would constantly "phone home" to the TimeTrax servers during operation; if the software could not contact the servers it would refuse to run. After TimeTrax went out of business the registration servers eventually went away, leaving their users high and dry. Fortunately there are alternatives to the TimeTrax software, and the hardware is still working 10 years later.

HecticArt likes this.
  8. scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar arrogant bastard

My wife just called to tell me that our Starmate 2, which we first activated in '05 - and they never shut it off - just got turned off. She's been using it in her home office for years. Bummer.

9. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Sounds like you had a long run before they dinged it.

10. geosync

geosync Well-Known Member

Ahh the starmate replay was my first baby.

HecticArt likes this.
  11. MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio1 MadisonRadio

The free preview ended a few days ago. That might have dinged it.

12. kryptonite

kryptonite Well-Known Member

My original radio was a Sportster Replay with the good FM signal. Other than having to keep the brightness as low as possible and keep it popped out of the boombox, I loved that thing.

Honestly, the worst I owned was the SL2 or one of the "buy a subscription, get a non-replay radio for $10" radios. Those SL2s were a work! The dials would always stop spinning, the only way to get satellite signal in my area was via a dock or the headphones, the whole debacle with the channel logos, etc.

With that said, I still have my Sportster Boombox and my SL100 car dock that I sawed the sides off of to accommodate the SL2.

13. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

My SL2 is hanging on and my wife has an Airware somewhere although she listens exclusively online or in the car now.

14. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I still have my SL2. It's working fine. I wanted to keep it for a while as a backup when I got my Lynx, but I keep forgetting to sell it.

15. geosync

geosync Well-Known Member

Haha, yes keeping the brightness level low on the starmate replay was a must. 12-12-05 was the day I purchased it from radio shack. 10 years!

16. Hatuxka

Hatuxka New Member

SRP2002, the never-released first plug-and-play, given to me for testing by the manufacturer

HecticArt likes this.
  17. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Dig! How did you score that?

18. IndustrialH

It ain't active but there is a Jensen SSR2000 sitting in my Sirius goodies storage box - tempted to kick it on - but it doesn't seem to see 167 - which is a bit of a necessity (for the live CFL games). I offered it to my son for his truck, but the truck had a total meltdown.

IMG_2468x.jpg

semipenguin likes this.
  19. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

20. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

I have a Sportster Replay I bought used from DAB back in 2005. I put a lifetime subscription on it, but I haven't used it in years. Five or more years.

It has a very washed out screen. Very hard to see in the daytime.

I need to find it & hook it up & see if it still works.

It's pretty useless to me. Can't get MLB on it, & I wouldn't want to pay extra for it to get an XM Radio & swap it for $75 & whatever else it would cost to make up the difference for all the channels