What's there to like about Hulu Plus?

Discussion in 'Cable & Video' started by Jon, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

As I understand it, Hulu Plus is $7.99 a month, you still have commercials (albeit limited) and a lot of content isn't available on mobile or Apple TV. What is the draw with Hulu Plus?

I'm considering it if it'll be useful for me.

2. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

None that I can see.

3. jef

jef Power Pig, Hello!

Depends what your options are. It's been great for catching Fox shows and watching at my convenience, since getting local Fox OTA where I live is dicey. (I'm a Ramsay mark - what can I say). Also some decent stuff in the library that I like like Mitchell & Webb, IT Crowd, etc.

The commercial are a tad annoying, considering it's a pay service. Going to check out the new Hulu exclusive show QuickDraw (I think it's called) to see if that's any good.

4. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Jon I tried it, but to honest the commercials are annoying as hell and I just didn't care for it that much. It does give you multiple networks in one app, where as to get CBS, NBC, Fox, you would need to use separate apps and even then its very limited as to what the networks provide via their own apps.

5. MAJ Badmotherfarker

MAJ Badmotherfarker is drinking a beer.

I tried hulu, but didn't really like it. I prefer netflix and amazon prime.

6. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

If an episode of The Simpsons isn't on Comcast's On Demand, I'll fire up Hulu to watch it. I mute the commercials and do something else while they are on. I never saw any reason to play for Hulu Plus, but I already have Netflix, Amazon Prime and Comcast's On Demand. The stuff Jef mentions is also available from Netflix.

7. Brad Bishop

Brad Bishop Member

Hulu+ basically gives you the convenience of Hulu in a more couch-friendly form on your Apple TV or Roku box.

There are limitations such as not everything has been licensed to be seen on Hulu+ even though it may be available on regular Hulu, but only available via computer.

The commercials are still there. Hulu, overall, is giving you more-recent run of TV shows compared to Netflix which is typically a season or two behind.

8. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

It's the commercials that keep me away. Figure if I'm paying $8 a month, I'd want a commercial free experience. Plus it draws shows from the networks I don't really watch much, and CBS isn't on there. If I did want to see a show that badly I could just wait until it hits Netflix or watch on one of the networks sites.

9. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

I have it but I don't use it :(

I'm gonna cancel it :)

10. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

That would probably be me if I got it.

11. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

Yeah, I could by lottery tickets with that money! :mad:

12. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

This might steer me in the other direction!

Blimey! Hulu’s Chuffed to Bits to Present the Best of British TV from BBC Worldwide North America
    September 18th, 2013 by Lisa Holme Content Acquisition

My earliest memory of British TV was Rumpole of the Bailey, an irreverent series about an iconoclastic barrister (a chiefly British term for lawyer) that made my father, a lawyer, howl with laughter. It was completely lost on me at the time—powdered wigs and all. Since then, U.K. TV and my taste in shows have come a long way. These days, I’m constantly begging my fiancé to watch incredible British shows like Sherlock and Moone Boy with me.

Anglophiles, feast your eyes on Hulu Plus as we launch a massive collection of new and landmark British programs from BBC Worldwide North America.

Blimey! Hulu?s Chuffed to Bits to Present the Best of British TV from BBC Worldwide North America « Hulu Blog

13. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

That all looks like stuff Netflix already has.

14. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

From the sounds of it, it'll be for current and future seasons. It'll be very disappointing if it isn't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

15. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

I liked watching Downton Abbey but Netflix only had the first season :(

I've not checked in a while. Maybe they've caught up :)

16. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Subsequent seasons of Downton are an Amazon Prime exclusive now. Not on Hulu or Netflix.

17. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

That sux :(

18. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of giving Amazon prime a try along with netflix. For my tastes that should be more than enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

The Amazon Prime is great if you buy from Amazon a lot because of the reduced shipping and free 2 day. But the Prime Video service is pretty darn good as well. It just really makes the prime membership even more worth it.

20. MM

MM Administrator

Go for it. I agree with DAB.

I have it and use it a lot for shipping. I've watch some good movies too.

Sent from my iPad 4 using Tapatalk