Who Am I? Week #564

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
I wonder what would be a good one-hit wonder to guess now that the best one-hit wonders have already been mentioned. I will guess Telstar[, a 1962 instrumental by the Tornadoes. They were the second British act to have a number-one US hit in the rock'n'roll era. Acker Bilk was first with Stranger On The Shore. And then came the Beatles.......

kingchuck69

Joker! Joker! Joker!
Oct 11, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
chuck69.com
In the Year 2525
Congrats, Aaron!

The answer is "In the Year 2525 (Exordium & Terminus) ", a #1 smash for the folk rock duo of Denny Zager and Rick Evans in 1969. The duo met at Nebraska Wesleyan University in 1962 and became friends. In 1964, Evans wrote "In the Year 2525". Four years later, the duo recorded the song in a studio in the middle of a cow pasture in rural Texas and released it on a small label, Truth Records. Radio stations in their home state of Nebraska picked up the song and it became a huge hit there. It caught the attention of RCA Records, who rereleased the song nationally in 1969. Within three weeks of release, '2525' was the #1 single in America and stayed there for six weeks. While at #1, man landed on the moon and Woodstock became the most-famous concert festival in history.

Sadly, Zager and Evans never could repeat their #1 success and broke up two years later. Rick Evans died in 2018 at 75 while Denny Zager is alive and well and making custom acoustic guitars in his home state of Nebraska.

I might be off for awhile because of house stuff. Be back soon!

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Congratulations, Mister Aaron! In The Year 2525 is notable for not having a chorus. Here are some other hit songs with no chorus:

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Congratulations, Mister Aaron! In The Year 2525 is notable for not having a chorus. Here are some other hit songs with no chorus:

I call bullshit on Pinball Wizard. There's a chorus. Also, Bittersweet Symphony is basically all chorus.

Reactions: kingchuck69

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
:bugout:
Congrats, Aaron!

The answer is "In the Year 2525 (Exordium & Terminus) ", a #1 smash for the folk rock duo of Denny Zager and Rick Evans in 1969. The duo met at Nebraska Wesleyan University in 1962 and became friends. In 1964, Evans wrote "In the Year 2525". Four years later, the duo recorded the song in a studio in the middle of a cow pasture in rural Texas and released it on a small label, Truth Records. Radio stations in their home state of Nebraska picked up the song and it became a huge hit there. It caught the attention of RCA Records, who rereleased the song nationally in 1969. Within three weeks of release, '2525' was the #1 single in America and stayed there for six weeks. While at #1, man landed on the moon and Woodstock became the most-famous concert festival in history.

Sadly, Zager and Evans never could repeat their #1 success and broke up two years later. Rick Evans died in 2018 at 75 while Denny Zager is alive and well and making custom acoustic guitars in his home state of Nebraska.

I might be off for awhile because of house stuff. Be back soon!
Damn! Congrats Aaron!

Thanks King! Good luck with the move stuff.