Why Do They Continue To Sell "new" Sirius Radios?

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Taylor is moving his company. He posted the Tour link to the TSS site late last month in the Best Buy 360L thread . I think his life is full of moving parts and posting and his posting time is limited. Neverthe less, it's good to hear from the brick and mortar mainstay for all of our satrad hardware and software needs.

Last I heard it moved from Chicago to LA. Is there a newer update?

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Questions: the old lady has a new car, she had all access for 4 months. That's ending this month. She was paying some 27 bucks with the old car. Now all access is 'premium' package right? For new subs streaming premium is free for 4 months then 10.99 after that. Wha?!?! A few months ago it was like 20. Streaming + Car + for music and entertainment is 5 bucks for 12 months, then 16.99 a month plus fees. I don't see a car/streaming premium option. Am I going crazy. She needs to check her billing history but I see recall all access was like 21 plus fees. That still doesn't get to 27. Any ideas?

Then there's platinum family friendly for 20.99 without howard or most of the comedy channels. Doesn't mention if that is useable in a car.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Questions: the old lady has a new car, she had all access for 4 months. That's ending this month. She was paying some 27 bucks with the old car. Now all access is 'premium' package right? For new subs streaming premium is free for 4 months then 10.99 after that. Wha?!?! A few months ago it was like 20. Streaming + Car + for music and entertainment is 5 bucks for 12 months, then 16.99 a month plus fees. I don't see a car/streaming premium option. Am I going crazy. She needs to check her billing history but I see recall all access was like 21 plus fees. That still doesn't get to 27. Any ideas?

Then there's platinum family friendly for 20.99 without howard or most of the comedy channels. Doesn't mention if that is useable in a car.
I think the regular full sat/stream package is like $23/mo, and perhaps there's royalty fees and tax on top. The streaming alone I don't know, could be $11, or $13. I do it annually, and they break it down into the service, the royalties, and taxes and fees.

MonoStereo

May 12, 2020
Kansas City
I haven't gotten anything about the price going up, either. My annual deal ends next month, & we'll see if I stick around. I only listen in the car now, & since I'm a work-from-home guy permanently I hardly drive. I like the service, but the $7 a month I pay is pretty much the most I can justify for the scarce usage. I have a gazillion songs in my phone that I could just plug into my car stereo, & KC got a decent classical station since I became an XM subscriber.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
I just saw the bill for this year after my year of cheap premium. How much ruckus will I make to get another deal??

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Found a local stiletto 2 for 20 bucks. Do the sirius radios work off the xm satellites alone now? Can it receive xm's testical towers?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Found a local stiletto 2 for 20 bucks. Do the sirius radios work off the xm satellites alone now? Can it receive xm's testical towers?
The new XM sats broadcast as if they are Sirius (as well as XM). I think the old Sirius terrestrial repeaters are still online although they were always less prevalent than XM as the weird orbiting Sirius sats meant less repeaters needed. Now not the case but FCC not going to allow any more.

IndustrialH

"Not dead... just resting"
The new XM sats broadcast as if they are Sirius (as well as XM). I think the old Sirius terrestrial repeaters are still online although they were always less prevalent than XM as the weird orbiting Sirius sats meant less repeaters needed. Now not the case but FCC not going to allow any more.
Sirius terrestrial works fine in in my part of the world, except after a windstorm, then the feed dish loses the source, but the carrier is fine. Usually fixed within 72 hours... so someone still cares.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Ok, well this cat said he couldn't test the battery or turn it on because it's not subscribed. I told him he could. Last I had a sirius radio in a metro area the one tower didn't work great but it did work better when driving out in forest lands. My trouble with the xm towers now is that I'm up against a small mountain that blocks a strong signal. Woe is me.

machpost

Feb 18, 2009
Has anyone heard if they're still planning on shutting down the Sirius satellites sometime this decade?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Has anyone heard if they're still planning on shutting down the Sirius satellites sometime this decade?
The figure 8 sats are shut down. Everything is now fixed position (geostationary). I don't think they have plans on shutting down the sats as they will eventually repurpose the bandwidth. When that will happen is still unannounced and likely a long ways away.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
I was paying for a friend on the family plan and they talked me into the premier package for my car. 10 bucks a month.