Wi-fi Speeds Are About To Triple

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Wi-Fi speeds are about to triple - Apr. 4, 2014

Qualcomm (QCOM, Fortune 500) announced plans this week for new technology that it says could triple Wi-Fi speeds in homes, offices and on public networks.

At the moment, Wi-Fi networks can only serve one device at a time, cycling quickly among different users. That creates slower speeds for everyone when more devices connect to the network.

The company's new approach, which follows seven years of research, allows networks to transmit data to multiple groups of users simultaneously using algorithms that adapt on the fly to changes in usage. The technology is known as "MU-MIMO," which stands for "multi-user, multiple input, multiple output.

Reactions: HecticArt

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Doesn't Japan have the fastest internet in the world?

Let's do what they're doing. Either way, I know the Czech Republic spanks us hard.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Doesn't Japan have the fastest internet in the world?

Let's do what they're doing. Either way, I know the Czech Republic spanks us hard.
Again, something you usually have to pay extra for.

My ISP and VZW are sure to slow it down.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Again, something you usually have to pay extra for.

My ISP and VZW are sure to slow it down.
Speeds at my work (ya know, where time is of the essence)

I'll gladly pay more.
3422687241.png

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
Comcast recently pissed me off with the upgrade to "fiber optics". They told me it would cost $260 is "install fiber optic lines to my house". The guy showed up and swapped the modem - didn't install jack because the lines were already in place. Spent about 2 hours arguing with them and told them to take their $260 modem back.

Reactions: greenearth

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Comcast recently pissed me off with the upgrade to "fiber optics". They told me it would cost $260 is "install fiber optic lines to my house". The guy showed up and swapped the modem - didn't install jack because the lines were already in place. Spent about 2 hours arguing with them and told them to take their $260 modem back.

Yeah, I'd think DC area already has the lines.

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
Charter tried duping me with 'faster speeds' a year or two ago. They told me to continue my service, they needed to 'upgrade' my modem, and install new cable. the guy came in, swapped modems, and said I was good to go. He said i needed to upgrade my package to take advantage of it, and my old internet package was incompatible with this new one so i 'had' to do it. I called BS and told him I was already getting the soeeds he was trying to sell me on with the old router. We argued a bit, but In the end I told him to take the new modem (which i had to rent monthky for 11.99) and I'd take my chances on the old one. He then tried telling me my belkin router was not compatible and I was getting bad connections because of it. I told him I knew better, showed him my speed tests, and said I was going to call corporate offices about it. He quickly changed his tune, and left.

Reactions: hyson

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
A Comcast guy did a hard reset on my router without asking my permission. He was trying to test my network and it asked him for a password, so he just hard reset it. Wiped out all of my settings and bypassed my security. I came close to bitch slapping him.

Reactions: greenearth

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
A Comcast guy did a hard reset on my router without asking my permission. He was trying to test my network and it asked him for a password, so he just hard reset it. Wiped out all of my settings and bypassed my security. I came close to bitch slapping him.
They charge extra for that.

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
I always laugh at these 'tech guys'. When I ljved in madison, I remember when they came to install the modem, our main computer in the living room was an older machine, but worked just fine. He was having trouble getting the internet to work, (firewall issues). and saw my new laptop on the end table. he asked to use that to set it up.. i was slightly annoyed, byt let him do it. All was fine on my end, but the main computer was still not working. They tried leaving before it was fixed, I made him sit there and fumble around a but before opening settings in internet connection sharing and windows firewall and showing him what the problem was. prior to that, he claimed the computer was 'too old' to work and we should just use my laptop....REALLY?! so, I'm supposed to share my laptop with my 2 room mates and be ok? what if that was our only computer? would he have just said 'oh, sorry, no internet for you, i cant figure out windows vista, we dont want your money'? I left some nice feedback on the courtesy call afterwards and they dropped the 75 dollar (!!) install fee.

Reactions: HecticArt and hyson

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
I've got a dated, but very reliable Cisco dual band N router. I wonder if the 3x wifi will spawn a new gen of boxes or let my current one supply the speed.

I've read where a Docsis 2 modem is okay for up to 30 Mbps (I have a 30/2 service). I wonder what a Docsis 3 modem and cat 7 cable even though cat 5e is suppose to handle up to 1 Gbit.

I guess it all boils down to budgeting the dollars without massive overkill.