Willie's Roadhouse

Discussion in 'Country, Christian, Gospel' started by SIRIUSaboutXM, Apr 27, 2013.

1. SIRIUSaboutXM

SIRIUSaboutXM DRC Special Contributor

New thread in honor of both Willie's 80th Birthday Celebration & the loss of one of the biggest true legends of traditional Country & Western Music

[​IMG]

George Glenn Jones was a legend in country music, known for his long list of hit records, with his distinctive voice and phrasing, including "He Stopped Loving Her Today," "Choices" and "Finally Friday." To honor his contribution to music and remember his legacy, Willie's Roadhouse will be talking to those who knew him best and playing some of his classic hits all weekend long. For more information about George Jones, click here: BanditRecords

Amazing how much more activity there was on social media over George's death than any other celebrity that has left us in the last few years and there's been way too many. In fact the Celebrity Death Thread may be the most active thread on this forum!! Through the thoughts that I've heard today, I just realized how big an impact this guy had on every Country Music channel on SXM :bow:

2. SIRIUSaboutXM

We continue our salute to George Jones - The Possum this weekend with a tribute hosted by Dallas Wayne who will be "Playin' Possum" today 11 am- 3pm ET and a special Charlie Monk show featuring a "Possum" interview from our archives tomorrow 4-9 pm ET. @SXMWillie #RIPpossum

3. goreds2

goreds2 Well-Known Member

Will record or listen today.

4. SIRIUSaboutXM

Coming up in 1 hour:

[​IMG]

5. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Damn. 80? You go Willie!

6. goreds2

Recording it now. :band2:

7. goreds2

The coolest picture of George. Showed his life in my opinion.

[​IMG]

8. SIRIUSaboutXM

They've been celebrating all month, but today is the actual day- Happy 80th Willie!! :smoke:

[​IMG]
    Willie Nelson & Family live from Texas(Replay)
    Tonight 8:00 pm ET
    Willie Nelson's 80th birthday concert and benefit for the Abbott and West, TX volunteer fire departments broadcast live from the Backyard in Bee Cave, TX.

Let's hear from Ringo! https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I93ISsjs3UY

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  9. SIRIUSaboutXM

George Jones funeral service to be broadcast live from Opry House Thurs 5/2 11 am ET exclusively on SXM 56 Willie's Roadhouse

10. SIRIUSaboutXM

[​IMG]

George Jones funeral service to be broadcast live from Opry House Thurs 5/2 11 am ET exclusively on SXM 56 Willie's Roadhouse

11. goreds2

On my Calendar. Thanks,

12. SIRIUSaboutXM

[​IMG]

Willie Nelson's 80th birthday concert and benefit for the Abbott and West, TX volunteer fire departments broadcast live fromthe Backyard in Bee Cave, TX.

Reminder- coming up in 15 minutes: the fleet-footed Willie

[​IMG]

With special guests David Allen Coe & Randy Travis

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  13. SIRIUSaboutXM

[​IMG]

George Jones’ Funeral to Be Televised, Streamed Online
    The funeral for legendary country singer George Jones will be televised, streamed online and aired on radio.

The service, which takes place on Thursday (May 2) at the Grand Ole Opry House in Nashville, will feature tribute performances by a number of country stars and will air live on GAC, CMT and more from 11AM to 12:30PM ET. Fans can listen online at wsmonline.com or watch online at opry.com.

Brad Paisley, Alan Jackson, Vince Gill with Patty Loveless, Ronnie Milsap, the Oak Ridge Boys, Randy Travis, Kid Rock, Charlie Daniels, Travis Tritt, Tanya Tucker and Wynonna Judd will be on hand to pay musical tribute to Jones, who passed away last Friday, (April 26).

Additionally, First Lady Laura Bush, Barbara Mandrell, Kenny Chesney, Governors Bill Haslam and Mike Huckabee, newsman Bob Schieffer and Opry General Manager Pete Fisher are scheduled to speak. Country Radio Hall of Fame member Bill Cody will anchor GAC’s coverage of the event. Katie Cook will cover the proceedings for CMT.

“It is the wish of Nancy Jones and the rest of the family for as many fans as possible to be able to say farewell to this iconic performer,†says GAC VP/Programming Suzanne Gordon (quote via Nashville Country Club). “It is our privilege to provide viewers this opportunity for one last goodbye and to hear the heartfelt tributes from those who knew him best.â€

Westboro Baptist Church to Picket George Jones’ Funeral
    Westboro Baptist Church has announced that they will picket the funeral of country great George Jones, which is to be held Thursday (May 2) at the Grand Ole Opry House in Nashville.

The organization — which many rightfully refer to as a hate group — calls Jones a “drunkard,†saying he “used his talent to glorify himself and engage in much adultery,†the Tennessean reveals. Allegedly, the demonstration by the group is scheduled to take place at 9:15AM and go until 10:00AM, which is when Jones’ service will begin. Attendees are encouraged to form a barricade between WBC and the funeral.

This isn’t the first time Westboro Baptist Church’s insulting antics have impacted the realm of country music, as the group blamed singer Carrie Underwood for the tragic shootings in Newton, and legend Charlie Daniels furiously spewed his views on the organization, calling them “despicable.â€

Jones contributed greatly to country music, and the community is hopeful that he will be laid to rest peacefully on Thursday. The singer passed away on April 26 at the age of 81.

14. goreds2

Very touching funeral today which I listened to via Willie's Road House. I also DVR'd the televised portion which I will watch. RIP - I still have my dad's George Jones hat since he passed away in 2002.

15. goreds2

Wonder if Willie's Road House will carry this......

GEORGE JONES FINAL NASHVILLE CONCERT TO TAKE PLACE AS A ‘TRIBUTE SHOW’
    05/07/13
    Nashville, Tenn. (May 7, 2013) – The George Jones final Nashville concert, which was set for Friday, November 22, 2013 at Nashville’s Bridgestone Arena, will continue as planned with one change … the show will now become a ‘Tribute to George Jones’, as announced today.

“Everyone has been asking if we will still do the show,†says Nancy Jones. “I have asked Garth, Kid Rock, Travis Tritt, The Oak Ridge Boys, Montgomery Gentry, Sam Moore, Charlie Daniels, Jamey Johnson and others and they all said ‘yes, I am still going to do it’ so with all the artists still planning on coming, we are going to honor George one final time.â€

Tickets for the Nashville finale were SOLD OUT previously. Please check with Ticketmaster on any tickets that may come available.

At this time, not all previously announced artists have been contacted. We are in the process of re-confirming all artists. A list of all confirmed talent will be available at georgejones.com

16. SIRIUSaboutXM

[​IMG]

Live from FarmAid 2013

Sept. 21 at 2 pm ET

This year's annual Farm Aid benefit at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center in Saratoga Springs, New York will once again be broadcast live here on Willie's Roadhouse. Hear Willie Nelson, Neil Young, John Mellencamp, Dave Matthews and more!

17. SIRIUSaboutXM

[​IMG]

Moved it up to Noon- perfomers already played: Blackwood Quartet & Jesse Lenat

Kacey Musgraves should be Blowin' Smoke on a Mary Go Round @ 3:45 ET

Will try to find a schedule of tonight's main performers

18. SIRIUSaboutXM

[​IMG]

Revised schedule (all times tentative)

12:30pm - Blackwood Quartet

12:40pm - Jesse Lenat

12:55pm - Sasha Dobson

1:10pm - Insects vs. Robots

1:35pm - Pegi Young & The Survivors

1:55pm - Bahamas

2:20pm - Carlene Carter

2:50pm - Lukas Nelson & Promise of the Real

3:20pm - Toad the Wet Sprocket

3:50pm - Amos Lee

4:30pm - Kacey Musgraves

5:10pm - Jamey Johnson

5:55pm - Jack Johnson

6:55pm - Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds

7:50pm - John Mellencamp

8:50pm - Neil Young

9:50pm - Willie Nelson

19. SIRIUSaboutXM

BREAKING: Willie Nelson Tour Bus in Bad Accident

Three people were hospitalized after Willie Nelson‘s band’s tour bus slammed into a bridge pillar on I-30 in Sulphur Springs, Texas early Saturday morning (Nov. 23). The singer was not on board, but the incident has resulted in the indefinite postponement of his tour.

Members of the band and the bus driver were on board at the time of the 3:30AM accident.

Nelson shared the news with fans at his Facebook page: ”Willie Nelson’s band bus (not Willie’s bus) was in an accident overnight on icy I-30. 3 members of the family were hospitalized."

20. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I just read that. Good luck to em.