WTD 2008 Week 7 - 40s on 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Big band recordings from the Swing Era and greatest standards from the '30s and '40s from The Glenn Miller Orchestra, Duke, Dinah, and more.

Genres; Big Band, Swing, Barbershop, Vocal Stars, Harmony

* Please indicate how much you like this channel by assigning it a rating. Simply use the thread rating system found at the top of the thread and give it a vote...:)

Artists You'll Hear

* Glenn Miller Orchestra
* Duke Ellington
* Benny Goodman
* Dinah Shore
* Bing Crosby
* Tommy Dorsey Orchestra
* Buddy Clark
* Artie Shaw and His Orchestra
* Fats Waller

The 40s - The Original Recordings
12:00 AM - 8:30 PM

All aboard Track Number 4. The big bands, the classic vocal stars, and the original hit recordings of the '30s, '40s, and early '50s.
Add to My Favorite Shows

The Original Bing Crosby Radio Shows
8:30 PM - 9:00 PM

Hear classic Bing Crosby Radio programs as they were orginally heard in the 1940s.
Add to My Favorite Shows

Big Band Jump
9:00 PM - 10:00 PM

Two different one-hour editions of Don Kennedy's popular syndicated program can be heard each week, spotlighting the great bands and vocalists of yesterday and today.
Add to My Favorite Shows

10:00 PM - 12:00 AM

All aboard Track Number 4. The big bands, the classic vocal stars, and the original hit recordings of the '30s, '40s, and early '50s.
Add to My Favorite Shows

12:00 AM - 12:00 AM

Add to My Favorite Shows

40son4.gif

Last edited:

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
another one of my presets, I enjoy listening to the classic swing music. Sometimes better then Siriusly Sinatra channel.

I give it 4 stars.

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
Since this one has always been one of my favorites on XM, I'll just say I was very pleased that it made it on SiriusXM. And that the skipping issue on the Sirius receivers has been resolved.

:siriusdog:

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
I made this one a preset right after the channel merger. I've been really impressed with it. It's great to have a place on Sirius for all those old songs from the 1940's, and sometimes 1920's and 1930's. A solid 4 stars for this channel!

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Not my cup of tea! Nuff Said!

If I could get Moving EZ back, I'd gladly see this channel go bye bye!

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I love Big Band Music, but not enough to listen that much. It's a great genre to listen too on the way to Las Vegas, Atlantic City, or Miami, but otherwise, it's kept put away, in a box, in the corner of the closet, and only broken out only on those High Roller Road Trips...:D

Bob Moke seems to do an excellent job. The channel is run very well. You could ask for more in a channel...:)

I give this channel 4 out of 5 Stars. Great Run channel, just not my type of music...:)

HCLogo

Dec 28, 2008
GTA, Ontario, Canada
Every once in a while I'm in the mood for this, but for the most part it's not really my thing. My grandmother loves it though :p

I give it 3/5 stars.

Road Hog

Nov 9, 2008
Massachusetts
I am really pleased that this channel made it over, to be added to the Sirius lineup. I enjoy it on occasion, though I'm not sure if I can find an available preset button.

If my stepfather were still alive, he would definitely have this as preset number 1.

dbirchum

Nov 12, 2008
NL, Canada
My number one preset on Sirius used to be Standard Time. I loved it. Listened to it all the time. I couldn't of been more disgusted when Sirius dropped Standard Time and replaced it with Siriusly Sinatra. I hoped that it would be a good channel, but it wasn't. Way too much Frank for me. I dropped it completely and didn't listen to Channel 75 on Sirius for a full 2 years. I seriously considered dropping Sirius for XM, just to get some decent standards. Of all of the channels that I was hoping for with the merge, it was the 40s decade channel. And since the merge, I couldn't be happier! I LOVE this channel. Its simply great. I listen to it all the time. I find its the perfect background/relaxing music. I have it on at work all day and you wouldn't believe the people that have commented on how enjoyable it is to have on. Very nice, relaxing music. Makes me think about the origins of radio and to a more simple time. And this is from someone who is 34, not someone who grew up with this music. I simply grew to appreciate it.

As long as there is a 40s channel, I will be a loyal listener!

Reactions: Aaron

squigy0

Oct 14, 2008
Baltimore, MD
squigy0.ch00ns.com
Sounds: 40s pop, big band, crooners

Positives: Music you're definitely not going to find anywhere on regular radio

Negatives: Certainly some artist repeats (Glenn Miller Orchestra has always been in heavy rotation here). Imaging needs more work as station IDs sounded like they were cut off because they hadn't been redone yet for the new company and didn't have a retro feel that you'd expect from this kind of channel

Blastability: Low. Not really my type of music

Overall: Great that it's a channel that's out there available, but I can't help but think it won't be around the sat airwaves for much longer as people who lived during the time of this music are dying off

laxruss

Mar 11, 2009
My number one preset on Sirius used to be Standard Time. I loved it. Listened to it all the time. I couldn't of been more disgusted when Sirius dropped Standard Time and replaced it with Siriusly Sinatra. I hoped that it would be a good channel, but it wasn't. Way too much Frank for me. I dropped it completely and didn't listen to Channel 75 on Sirius for a full 2 years. I seriously considered dropping Sirius for XM, just to get some decent standards. Of all of the channels that I was hoping for with the merge, it was the 40s decade channel. And since the merge, I couldn't be happier! I LOVE this channel. Its simply great. I listen to it all the time. I find its the perfect background/relaxing music. I have it on at work all day and you wouldn't believe the people that have commented on how enjoyable it is to have on. Very nice, relaxing music. Makes me think about the origins of radio and to a more simple time. And this is from someone who is 34, not someone who grew up with this music. I simply grew to appreciate it.

As long as there is a 40s channel, I will be a loyal listener!

The Savoy Express carried over from XM is one of my favorite channels. You are right-- I was so disgusted and disappointed when Sirius dropped this music format. It prompted me to obtain an XM Radio subscription and prompted me to think of dropping Sirius at one point. I was so glad with the merger because now we can have it all-- our favorite former XM and Sirius music channels. Was only sorry to have lost the VOX classical channel in the process.

In any case, I was so glad when this channel was added to the Sirius lineup and I could start listening to it at home on my Sonos player. The channel definitely cements my loyalty to satellite radio.

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
Playing Fallout 3 has actually given me a greater appeciatation for this channel and its music. I got Danny Kaye stuck in my head, freakin' Danny Kaye!

But in all honesty, I went out and got all the songs played in the game because I loved them so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.