WTD 2009 Week 27 - '80s on 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Select hits from the '80s. The channel reflects the excitement and vibe from the age of MTV and the video generation.

What we play: Duran Duran, Journey, Bon Jovi, Prince, Def Leppard, U2, Go-Go's, Madonna, Huey Lewis & The News, The Police.

80s on 8 NO SLOW WEEKEND
Memorial Day weekend on 80s on 8 kicks off the summer with a "No Slow Weekend." Enjoy only the up-tempo, beach going, barbequing favorites all weekend long. There is no time for cuddling by the fireplace to “Open Arms†when it’s the beginning of the Summer of '09!

Casey Kasem and American Top 40 Countdown
Sundays 7 am ET
Rebroadcast Sundays 8 pm ET
Do you remember waking up and knowing it was Sunday morning because you would roll over, push the on button on your radio and there was Casey Kasem saying, "Now, on with the countdown." Where was your favorite song going to end up? Did Madonna make it to number one again?

Martha Quinn Presents…
Saturdays 8 am ET
Rebroadcast Saturdays 9 pm, Sundays 11 am and 4 pm ET and Wednesdays 9 pm ET
Original MTV VJ Martha Quinn brings her love of '80s music to SIRIUS-XM listeners! Every Saturday at 8 am ET, Martha gets back in the studio and back to a time when "M" stood for music, playing the songs that defined a decade, and bringing her own personal perspective on the biggest pop and rock artists that she experienced firsthand.

* Please indicate how much you like this channel by assigning it a rating. Simply use the thread rating system found at the top of the thread and give it a vote. :)

channel-8.gif

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
I love the channel as it reminds me of my wild and crazy young years in the 1980's. It repeats songs more now than when it was on XM but I can live with that as I do not listen on a regular basis.

It is cool to hear the Casey Kasem AT40 countdowns. :clap:

5 of 5 stars :Smiley_wink:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I liked XM 80s on 8. When I started listening in 2005 I spent my first couple of weeks listening to it before I found other channels.

When I got Sirius I loved the Big 80s. It played great 80s tunes. Its one downfall was way too much repatition.

Then they merged. The station since then seems to be having some trouble finding its identity. I hear old doctored Big80s promos but then I hear Janet Jackson played way too much. There is less repatition but more really obscure artists and songs. Yet they seem to play less overall music than the XM version.

The current promos on this channel are unbearable. Fortunatly the NoSlow weekend has suspedned them for a couple of days but the Geico commerical ripoff and the "Satelite TV converter Box" promos are beyond stupid.

I am really not sure how to rate this channel so I won't for now. I could justify giving it anywhere between 1 and 5 stars and come up with valid reasons for all the ratings. I will come back to this toward the end of the week and assign a rating.

Jleimer

Oct 30, 2008
Sparks,NV
I feel 80's on 8 is better then what we had on the Big 80's, but they are not even near Slacker's league 3 out of 5.

bigdnwi

Jan 27, 2009
80s on 8 isn't bad, but the playlist could be expanded no doubt, maybe add a little more R&B music. Now, if they will get rid of those stupid Less Headroom promos for their 80s Lost Hit feature that would be great.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I started with XM back in 2002. '80s on 8 was my favorite music channel at that time. Along with Top Tracks, I was a happy cat...:)

Then Heidi Selexa quit. The PD changed, I think after Bruce Kelly left. It kinda went down hill after that, but it was still good.

In 2005 I got Sirius. Big '80s was good. Not as good as XM8, but ok. They neglected the R&B. They seemed to only play Pop, Rock, and New Wave music. Too much Aerosmith and Cars. Too little variety...:worried:

The new '80s on 8 is better then old Sirius 8, but not quite as good as old XM 8. The mix of music is much better now and they play more R&B, although they still don't play enough for me. Plus, I don't know if they really need all those old MTV VJ's either. Alan Hunter babels along and half the time I have no idea what he's talking aboutl...:shock:

Alan Hunter said:
Lindsey Lohan blah blah blah Stevie Nick blah blah blah

WTF...:right:

4 out of 5 Stars...:cool:

AZJoe

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
The intro to this post says this channel plays "select" hits of the 80s, and that is the downfall of this channel, it is trying to be MTV on radio. To be a truly representative decades channel, it needs to play ALL the hits not just a "select" list of them. They do neglect many R&B hits which were part of Top 40 radio back in the 80s. Sirius/XM will tell you that you can find those hits on other channels ( in some cases not), but the point being , you shouldn't have to go to other channels to hear mainstream 80s hits on a decades channel- they need to be in the playlist- and it needs to go way deeper as to avoid the repeats and worn out & over played ones. Oh yeah, on the Sirius side, you cant even year most 80s R&B hits, they have no channel for it, unlike the XM side which has the Groove. Very disappointing there! 3 stars out of 5. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Aaron

down4six

Oct 14, 2008
Southern Colorado
www.twitter.com
From the era that started MTV, it is one of my presets that I listen to quite often. Yes, it does play the "hits", but that's how all the decade channels are, nostalgic ear candy . Does it annoy me that that every time I listen they play "Shook Me All Night Long"? Yes. Overall, I really enjoy this station, I give it 4 stars.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Despite all its flaws, the '80s on 8 remains my single favorite channel on Sirius. It's the music I grew up listening to, and I still enjoy most of it.

Having said that, this channel is disappointing as well. As most of you pointed out, the playlist is much too repetitive, and not enough variety. AZJoe noticed what I noticed... 'select hits' from the '80s. That pretty much sums it up.

Add me to the list of those who wish they'd get some new promos. Sick of the current ones.

Still in all, on the strength of the songs, my favorite channel. :)

JayDizz

Jan 3, 2009
I'm sorry but I feel that this is the worst thing on satrad. It sounds exactly like my local FM 80s channel. It's so predictable that it insults my intelligence. Only the most tired, overplayed songs can be found here. Really awful. I can't even give it one star. Some may think I'm being too hard on 8 but I'm severely disappointed with the top 10 FM mentality. Thanks Mr. Zellner. Zero stars.:(

cldoobie

Jan 17, 2009
SW Ohio
I don't know it could be me, but this is another one of those that I listened to more frequently before the merge.

My love for the 80s wont allow me to rate it lower than a 3.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I'm sorry but I feel that this is the worst thing on satrad. It sounds exactly like my local FM 80s channel. It's so predictable that it insults my intelligence. Only the most tired, overplayed songs can be found here. Really awful. I can't even give it one star. Some may think I'm being too hard on 8 but I'm severely disappointed with the top 10 FM mentality. Thanks Mr. Zellner. Zero stars.:(

Its strange because it is also missing a whole bunch of top 10 songs too. I think it would have been better if they had said 'here is all the top 10s of the 80s.

Argji

Oct 14, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
This channel should be much better and there is a lot of lost potential that could be easily fixed. I've not dug deeply, but I'm pretty sure that 2/3rds of the playlist could be had on Classic Rewind and First Wave. The only reason I tune in is for those few and far-between pop tunes that aren't covered elsewhere. I just don't understand the mentality to forego the adult contemporary and R&B hits from the era of my youth (that did get airtime on MTV & local Top 40 radio in the 80s)

"Select" hits sums it up and that's not a good thing.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I have listened to this channel more and they seem to be playing more songs than I remember. I don't like all the songs but its not my personal channel so I won't hold it against them. :) I have decided to give it 4 stars.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
I did not want to start a new thread for something that will expire tonight. I heard this on Friday as it was an OK interview.

Rick Springfield Interview
Tonight 6:00 pm ET (9/7/09)
80s on 8 | SIRIUS 8; XM 8
Rick is coming back to catch up with original MTV-VJ Mark Goodman, about all the things going on his life including a 4 show appearance on the show “Californicationâ€, his upcoming 2nd fan cruise, and of course his new music projects. (1 hr)

Status
Not open for further replies.