Your Favorite Albums Of 2020

MonoStereo

May 12, 2020
Kansas City
I didn't see a thread for this kinda thing anywhere around here...am I the only one who compiles a "best of" list for the year?

The 10 Best Records I Heard This Year list for 2020. As usual, in no particular order because they're all great & deserve your attention.

The Suitesixteen "Mine Would Be The Sun"
Wyldlife "Year Of The Snake"
Ultimate Fakebook "The Preserving Machine"
The Vapors "Forever"
Extra Arms "Headacher"
Kurt Baker Band "After Hours"
Quaker Wedding "In Transit"
Mom "Pleasure Island"
Radkey "Green Room"
Too Much Joy "Mistakes Were Made"

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
am I the only one who compiles a "best of" list for the year?
Nosiree! I have a list of my favorite 170 songs of 2020 and one for my 25 LEAST favorite songs of 2020.

Since 2012, I've posted my favorite songs of the year at a different site. This year's are in-progress on this thread.

Since 2013, I've also posted my LEAST favorite songs on the same site. This year's are in-progress on this thread.

They are largely ignored because 99% of the people on there like the most mainstreamiest of pop (Beiber, BTS, Taylor Swift, Drake, Billie Eilish, Coldplay, Weeknd, Ariana Grande, Cardi B, etc etc barf-cetera). But I like to have a record of it publicly for anyone interested. And I review everyone else's music, looking for gems I might have missed.

I didn't cross-post those here because there seems to be little interest in music that's come out in the last 15 years or so (in general).

But I was considering making a list of great new songs from artists that have been around since the 90s and earlier if there was any interest. I'm always excited to learn that an artist I loved years ago came out with new music, like that cool new Patty Smyth song I posted somewhere else recently, for example. There's also great new stuff from AC/DC, Midnight Oil, Beck (with Gorillaz), Pearl Jam, Marilyn Manson, Ozzy, Stabbing Westward, Rob Zombie and Yello!

If you wanna post a stand-out track from each of those albums, I'd love to check 'em out. Always looking for new toonz!

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
My favorite albums of 2020:

Folklore - Taylor Swift
Kelsea - Kelsea Ballerini
Ballerini - Kelsea Ballerini
Gaslighter - The Chicks
Brand New - Matthew West
Rough & Rowdy Ways - Bob Dylan

The Chicks, of course, used to be known as the Dixie Chicks. And Kelsea Ballerini, how does she come up with those clever names for her albums? Here is her video for Hole In The Bottle. I love the outfit she wears when she paints. :)

And here is Matthew West's Truth Be Told, which deals with the lies we tell ourselves: "I say I'm fine, yeah I'm fine, oh I'm fine, hey I'm fine, but I'm not – I'm broken."

Reactions: HecticArt

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I didn't see a thread for this kinda thing anywhere around here...am I the only one who compiles a "best of" list for the year?

The 10 Best Records I Heard This Year list for 2020. As usual, in no particular order because they're all great & deserve your attention.

The Suitesixteen "Mine Would Be The Sun"
Wyldlife "Year Of The Snake"
Ultimate Fakebook "The Preserving Machine"
The Vapors "Forever"
Extra Arms "Headacher"
Kurt Baker Band "After Hours"
Quaker Wedding "In Transit"
Mom "Pleasure Island"
Radkey "Green Room"
Too Much Joy "Mistakes Were Made"
Interesting list. I listen to a lot of indie music, yet (as with sadchild's list) I don't recognize any names (except perhaps the Vapors).

Anyway, this would normally go into the music forum. There's actually a thread there for 2020 countdowns. It could go there.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
Not sure why the name change took place to begin with (I am, but still). They were named after the song 'Dixie Chicken', there's no wrongdoing there.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
I bet IRBS also refuses to call Lady Antebellum "Lady A." Hey, why hasn't Confederate Railroad changed their name yet?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I bet IRBS also refuses to call Lady Antebellum "Lady A." Hey, why hasn't Confederate Railroad changed their name yet?

I prefer not to talk about them at all. They suck.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Btw, this is a great thread idea, and I normally keep on top of new music. But along with working from home, I had no commute - during which I'd be listening to new music. I've recently been listening to new stuff a bit, but I can't make a list.

Reactions: sadchild

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Here are some of the songs on my favorite songs of 2020 list that I think people here would recognize the artist or be interested in

ACDC - Shot In The Dark
Alien Ant Farm - Everything She Wants (WHAM cover)
Amy Macdonald - The Hudson
Awolnation - The Best
Bob Mould - American Crisis
Bush - The Kingdom
Corey Taylor - Black Eyes Blue (Slipknot vocalist)
Dinosaur Pile-Up - It's Tricky
DJ Shadow & De La Soul - Rocket Fuel
Eminem - Godzilla
Eric Tessmer & Nancy Wilson - Policy of Truth (Depeche Mode cover)
Evanescence - The Game Is Over
Gorillaz & Beck - The Valley of The Pagans
Gorillaz & Robert Smith - Strange Timez (Cure vocalist)
Haroula Rose & Peter Bradley Adams - Rachel's Song
Joywave - FEAR
Mammoth WVH - Distance (Eddie Van Halen's son)
Marilyn Manson - Don't Chase The Dead
Matthew Good - Sicily
Midnight Oil - Gadigal Land
Ozzy Osbourne - Scary Little Green Men
Paul McCartney - Home Tonight
Pearl Jam - Quick Escape
Public Enemy - Fight The Power (2020)
Rob Zombie - The Triumph of King Freak
Seether - Dangerous
Stabbing Westward - Burn
Steel Panther - Fuck 2020
Trews - God Speed Rebel
Winger - Better Days Comin' (All-Star 2020)
Yello - Waba Duba

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I have to dig through the 2020 releases to see what came out last year. I think the only release I have bought that might have been from 2020 was Yellow....... That sucks. (My support of new music, not Yellow. That album is GREAT.)

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
TBH, I was too busy putting together my favorites list in Scotch Sampler to listen to new music. I started that in June, and it's over 25 pages worth.
Folklore - Taylor Swift
This must be the album where she sings with Bon Iver and Matt Berninger. I've heard those songs.

Bob Mould - American Crisis
Bush - The Kingdom
Gorillaz & Beck - The Valley of The Pagans
Gorillaz & Robert Smith - Strange Timez (Cure vocalist)
Midnight Oil - Gadigal Land
Paul McCartney - Home Tonight
Pearl Jam - Quick Escape
Stabbing Westward - Burn
Bob Mould - heard a bit of that. Good stuff.
Bush - didn't know they still existed.
Gorillaz - heard some new stuff from them. Good.
Midnight Oil - didn't know they still existed.
Paul McCartney - not sure if I heard anything from him.
Pearl Jam - Heard some, very good. Best stuff in a while.
Stabbing Westward - didn't know they still existed.
I bought exactly 2 albums this year. The New AC/DC and the new Springsteen album.
Heard a couple of Springsteen songs. Very good.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Since 2012, I've posted my favorite songs of the year at a different site. This year's are in-progress on this thread.

Since 2013, I've also posted my LEAST favorite songs on the same site. This year's are in-progress on this thread.
For posterity, those threads are officially complete today. The top one is my fav 100 songs of 2020. The bottom is my least fav 25 songs of 2020.