2017 Movies & Tv Show

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
We saw "Star Wars 8: No More Jedis" today. Memegirl dug it, but everyone else was disappointed. Way too long, too many characters, too much pointless distraction. It strayed from the classic story cycle that makes myths resonate.

Reactions: IdRatherBeSkiing

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Not from 2017, but I'm home on vacation for the rest of the year. Also spending the first part of it sick.
I decided to rewatch Breaking Bad again. I started Season 1 while ago, but just got serious about it. I'm into season 3 already. Such a good show.
Finished Breaking Bad late last night.
It still holds up.
The things that you notice watching it again are great.
Some day I'll have to try it with the comments turned on and see what else was going on.

Starting Band of Brothers now.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Black Mirror season 4 is out today on Netflix!

I can't recommend this series enough. It's a modern Twilight Zone that often focuses on various elements of technology. It's really good.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Black Mirror season 4 is out today on Netflix!

I can't recommend this series. It's a modern Twilight Zone that often focuses on various elements of technology. It's really good.

Don't recommend that series, then alright! Here a better one Bill Nye: Saves The World season 2. :p

or better one of America's old classic show is back Fuller House season 3 part 2.

Last edited:

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Just watched Criminal which came out last year and has a great all-star cast. The movie was completely terrible.

Now I'm finally getting around to watch The Hitman's Bodyguard and so far it's good.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Last night I went to a late showing of "The Day of the Beast", a 1990s Spanish horror/comedy about a priest who figures out when the Antichrist will be born. He immediately starts sinning as much as he can so he can sell his soul to Satan, meet up and kill the Antichrist. It's all played in a dead pan style, and you're never sure if the hero is saving the world from the apocalypse or just an insane criminal.

Reactions: semipenguin

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Hitman's Bodyguard was fantastic. Ryan had some of his Deadpool attitude and Samual had some of that Snakes On A Plane attitude, which I liked. So many great quotes like this one from Samuel.

"You know, when life gives you shit, you make Kool-Aid"

Reactions: HecticArt

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Last night we watched the documentary One of Us on Netflix, it was very good. It's about 3 people who leave the Hasidic Jewish community in Brooklyn. That's a cult if there ever was one.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
91-oy-vey-e1496597971138.jpg

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Last night we watched the documentary One of Us on Netflix, it was very good. It's about 3 people who leave the Hasidic Jewish community in Brooklyn. That's a cult if there ever was one.

Was that constantly on your front page of Netflix or did you have to search it out? They seem to really be pushing it on me lately. It's been front and center for like 2 weeks every time I go to the site to watch a movie.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
It's DVD screener season!

I went of a bit of a tear today and saw 1 amazing movie out of 3.

Lady Bird and Last Flag Flying were not that great. Everyone seems to love Lady Bird but it didn't do it for me. It certainly wasn't bad but nowhere near the 99% it has on Rotten Tomatoes. It was this year's Edge of Seventeen but with even less going on. Funny how that broad with the name even weirder than mine has starred in 2 critically acclaimed Oscar contender movies that were both very milk toast. Brooklyn was also good but very uneventful. Last Flag Flying is a sweet story but couldn't fill a whole movie. I didn't like it.

The Florida Project was amazing! This is a gritty film but at the same time a cute, sweet story. The little girl and her mom were both amazing and it's crazy to think the mom character had never acted before this. Although depicting poverty, the first hour of the movie was so incredibly sweet. But after that it takes a dark turn. Nothing too crazy but some uncomfterable moments that were very well done. And Willem Dafoe was great. I now gotta go back and watch Tangerine again. This guy knows how to direct a film. This one easily makes my top 5 of 2017.

Fun side note: The premise of this movie is a young mom and her daughter try to scrape by while living in a hotel right on the outskirts of Disney World. Last time I went to Disney that was exactly the type of hotel I stayed in. There were clearly people living full time at that place. It was just me and a buddy for most of the time so I could care less about the hotel. Staying at a sub $50 a night place allowed me to extend the trip way beyond the time I had originally planed. I was able to buy like an extra 2 weeks of park admissions and wound up going to Disney everyday for just under 3 weeks.

There are still a bunch of 2017 heavy hitters I need to see but right now my top 5 are:

Dunkirk
The Florida Project
A Ghost Story
Logan
Blade Runner 2049

Last edited:
Reactions: memebag

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I saw 258 movies in 2017 and went to the theater 11 times. On my scale of 1-5, with .5's included, I gave 21 movies a perfect 5.

I started keeping track in 2016 and it's fun to look back at the end/beginning of each year.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I went to the theater 137 times in 2017.

I saw "The Greatest Showman" tonight with Memegirl. We both disliked it. I realized I prefer tap dancing to other styles in musicals. The dancing in this seemed particularly graceless. And the film was lazy. It showed an act, then showed an amazed audience, but it never showed an amazing act to amaze its own audience. And it tried to make Barnum into a 21st century egalitarian. He was showing freaks to preach tolerance and acceptance. Ha.

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
We saw Pitch Perfect III the previous weekend and Father Figures over the weekend.

I don't think we went as much as memebag but we enjoyed another year going to our nice theater.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Holy shit dude. That freaking Alamo should put up a picture of you.
The program director and some of the waiters know me. Everyone who sees more 50 or more films is invited to the Top Brass party. I'm curious about how many people go more frequently than I do. I know some of the Graveyard Shift attendees went to more than 50 of those shows last year. The reward for that is 1 free year of Graveyard Shift tickets. At some point they let you program a film of your own choice. I have mine already picked out.

Reactions: semipenguin