Apple iPad

GoodDog

Oct 13, 2008
Scientific Map
You might want to check out an HP Slate too when it comes out. You get Flash, USB(without an adaptor),HDMI(without an adaptor) and an SD card slot. From what I read the top model costs $599 with 3G and 64 gigs. Not to bad huh.

Yes i agree it sounds good.

robhurlburt

Oct 15, 2008
Bean, the 3g version starts shipping in 11 days.

consipiracy theory here: is it possible that apple purposefully waited 2 weeks to release the better 3G version because they knew all the apple fanbois would go out and get the non-3G version first because they "had to have it first"? Therefore adding more to their sales?

Supafly

Oct 12, 2008
I had to stand in line to play with one at Best Buy today. It's a lot heavier than I thought. You could kill a homeless person with one blow. I couldn't think of anything else I'd want to do with it than hit people.

I didn't know how to get back to the homescreen so I asked the sales person. She said it was just like the IPhone. When I said I'd never used one the crowd around me starting laughing, then booing and hissing. I could have maimed them all with that shard of glass , but I ran to the speaker room and hid.

It's as capable as my cellphone, except it's big and inconvenient. LOL at all the people awkwardly carrying that thing around to look cool.

robhurlburt

Oct 15, 2008
I didn't know how to get back to the homescreen so I asked the sales person. She said it was just like the IPhone. When I said I'd never used one the crowd around me starting laughing, then booing and hissing. I could have maimed them all with that shard of glass , but I ran to the speaker room and hid.

It's as capable as my cellphone, except it's big and inconvenient. LOL at all the people awkwardly carrying that thing around to look cool.

:jj::jj:

GoodDog

Oct 13, 2008
Scientific Map
Suposedly the new HP slate will have ~1/2 the battery life of the iPad.

I seen that in some blog posts. Since no one has gotten their hands on one and tested it I am taking blog info with a grain of salt ATM. iPad's battery is like the iPhone, its not user serviceable which is a major PIA when the battery needs to be replaced, but hey! there's a Tech for that too! :rolleyes:. The other major thing to keep in mind, HP appears to be a full blown Windows computer and the iPad is running a bastardized phone OS. It's reasonable if there are differences in battery life between the two.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH

It also is 1080 HD capable and multitasks out of the box. It also does flash so I'm sure it does take up a little more of the battery. So Apple leaving out flash, USB, SD and 3G standard is worth the extra $400 just to get the 64gig version that lasts another 5 hours? I don't get it. I think I could live without the extra battery life if I gain all the above features and pay $400 less.

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
I seen that in some blog posts. Since no one has gotten their hands on one and tested it I am taking blog info with a grain of salt ATM. iPad's battery is like the iPhone, its not user serviceable which is a major PIA when the battery needs to be replaced, but hey! there's a Tech for that too! :rolleyes:. The other major thing to keep in mind, HP appears to be a full blown Windows computer and the iPad is running a bastardized phone OS. It's reasonable if there are differences in battery life between the two.

Tis true.

Chob

Oct 11, 2008
Albany, NY
www.kingbubba.com
I don't get tablets except for artists, but if it has it's niche than good for Jobs being able to market it.

I have to say I stopped by the Apple store yesterday to look at the iPod Touch, and people were all over the iPads. And the thing does look good I'll give them that.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
We use tablets at work, and they are pretty good for field-work and sketching. I would use one.

I played with an iPad at BB last night for a few minutes. It was kind of cool, but doesn't seem very comfortable to use for any period of time. It would be hard to watch a movie on or use at a coffee shop with one hand.

A tablet seems like the best of both worlds.

RDog

Oct 18, 2008
I'm watching a video from one dude who says he plugs in his Nexus One into his DVR, and puts the videos on his phone to watch later.

Ooh, I would be interested in that video if you happen to still have a link to it?
I picked up the Motorola Milestone (a.k.a. Droid, but for whatever reason Canada calls it the Milestone). LOVE IT. I want to do more with it in terms of watching videos on it and if I could watch what's on my DVR, that would be *amazing*!

I want to call into Geektime and ask them about what they think of Android (not that I care) - it would be funny to hear them ALL go, "Huh? What's Android?" Dummies... :)

If Google perfects their tablet, I'm hoping it catches on, it could be what is needed to be a viable competitor with iPad (if it's even a contest; the tablet market may never take off, just like before).

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
Ooh, I would be interested in that video if you happen to still have a link to it?
I picked up the Motorola Milestone (a.k.a. Droid, but for whatever reason Canada calls it the Milestone). LOVE IT. I want to do more with it in terms of watching videos on it and if I could watch what's on my DVR, that would be *amazing*!

I want to call into Geektime and ask them about what they think of Android (not that I care) - it would be funny to hear them ALL go, "Huh? What's Android?" Dummies... :)

If Google perfects their tablet, I'm hoping it catches on, it could be what is needed to be a viable competitor with iPad (if it's even a contest; the tablet market may never take off, just like before).

My wife has the HTC Hero and loves Android. I think her big thing is that you get 7 screens to customize. I'm looking forward to getting the HTC EVO when it comes out.

Speaking of Geektime or should I say Apple time..... Did you guys hear how proud Ralph is? It's like he's a new dad. He called in to Bubba's show and talked about the Ipad. Brent said what do you think about that new HP tablet that kicks its ass. Ralph said well you don't really know that till til comes out. For a guy that has a show based on gadgets he sure doesn't look into anything besides Apple stuff. That HP slate is on youtube. It's for real.

Spokker

Jan 15, 2009
It's just one comment in a video about something else. I looked into it and I think it's a custom DVR he built himself (just build a PC with video in and load DVR software on it). It records shows and saves files in mp4 format, which allows you to just pop it onto your phone since it supports mp4 natively.

RDog

Oct 18, 2008
It's just one comment in a video about something else. I looked into it and I think it's a custom DVR he built himself (just build a PC with video in and load DVR software on it). It records shows and saves files in mp4 format, which allows you to just pop it onto your phone since it supports mp4 natively.

Ahh, I see. I think Slingbox is coming to Android eventually, so at least down the line I could always go that route (expensive route to watch my recorded shows on my phone, but you get the idea). :)

If Ralph is going to be the Apple sycophant on the show, they should do more to counter his points just to balance it out. I don't think they care to do that, which is a little annoying. I've noticed Ralph doesn't even seem to respond to people on Twitter unless it's Apple related, hahaha!

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana

Which means if HP is saying 5 hours, you'll be lucky to get 3.5 to 4 hours.

Clearly the iPad isn't for everyone, I know I really have no need for one. However, some of the things being said are just down right stupid.

There are fools that really believe that the only folks buying this thing are Apple Fanboys and you'd be wrong. I know two people who bought them and are telling me they love them. This is their very first Apple product. I think Apple is likely on to something. Not everyone cares about what it won't do as much as how well it does what it does do.

HP, Android and many others will release a similar product and it will offer many of the things missing from the iPad, but it won't have as good a touch screen technology, it won't have the battery life and it won't have the iTunes Cosmo's that many seem to hate. Which is why the iPad works so well for so many people. Like it, Love it, Hate it. it doesn't matter. No none is being forced to buy them, yet they are selling like crazy and some of you are truly misinformed or locked into some dim whited thinking if you believe everyone buying these are just blind Apple fans.

Shab gave some great reasons why he bought him an iPad and I think those are all valid reasons because that device works for what he needs and wants. Yet not one replied to his post, because you just want to drag this thing through the mud, because that is much more fun. Thankfully not everyone thinks the way some of you guys do. AMEN!

Spokker

Jan 15, 2009
Says the guy who lists what Apple products he owns in his sig file. It's cool that you like them, but do we have to be reminded every single time you post? I've never been able to understand people like you. Maybe I should try it.