Dumb Mac questions

Andrew8468

Plans on freezing in the dark
Oct 26, 2008
Canada, eh?
Sooooo... if I wanted to reformat my hard drive, do I need to go all the way back to 10.5.1 and update or I can start with Snow Leopard and will I have to pay for another copy of Lion?

Brad Bishop

Dec 3, 2008
If you have a copy of Snow Leopard or Lion you can just start form there.

When you buy Lion download the package but before you install it Google: Lion usb install

and follow the instructions. This will put Lion on a USB stick for you and it'll be easier/less hassle to start from there from now on.

You can also use the Disk Utility to restore the Snow Leopard disc to a USB stick and start from there if you like (I find it easier and a little quicker).

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
If you have a copy of Snow Leopard or Lion you can just start form there.

When you buy Lion download the package but before you install it Google: Lion usb install

and follow the instructions. This will put Lion on a USB stick for you and it'll be easier/less hassle to start from there from now on.

You can also use the Disk Utility to restore the Snow Leopard disc to a USB stick and start from there if you like (I find it easier and a little quicker).

You can also put the installer on a DVD, too ,in case you don't have a thumb drive hanging around. I put it on both, just in case. But as Brad Bishop points out - the key is to download Lion but not run the installer right away.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Point of clarification. I already bought and downloaded Lion, remember the upside down mouse scrolling?

Then you are stuck like Chuck, because right now short of buying that crazy $69 flash drive with Lion on it, you would have needed to make a flash key or DVD when you downloaded Lion during your upgrade. Just prior to hitting install, you could open the contents of the folder and copy them to another folder to create the flash or DVD.

So, right now the only thing you can do is install SL, then upgrade to the latest version, so you'll have the Mac App store to upgrade to Lion! This time don't forget to make your flash or DVD installer. :)

I have used the changed scrolling since Lion was released. I am so use to it now that when I get on a Windows machine it feels bassackward to me. LOL

Brad Bishop

Dec 3, 2008
It's dumb that Apple didn't come up with a better way of doing this.

Most folks, to reinstall Lion, will reinstall Snow Leopard and then re-download Lion on top of it.

Apple could have put in a 'Make a Lion Install USB/DVD?' option in the install or even in Lion after the fact.

Andrew8468

Oct 26, 2008
Canada, eh?
I thought you could put Lion on multiple Macs? But what I guess you are saying is that if I had saved it to a flash drive/DVD I just install Lion and not have to go back to Snow Leopard?

Evil_Ernie

Smell my finger
Oct 11, 2008
Hell
So, right now the only thing you can do is install SL, then upgrade to the latest version, so you'll have the Mac App store to upgrade to Lion!

Actually, you can re-download Lion after it has been installed. When you're in the Mac App Store, hold down the Option key then click on the OS X Lion link. When you get to the Lion page, the button will have "Install" on it instead of "Installed", then afterwards you can make a bootable DVD or USB drive. No need to install SL beforehand.

I thought you could put Lion on multiple Macs?

You can install Lion on multiple Macs if your Apple ID is associated with the Mac you're installing it on.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
Nope, no go. It changes from installed to $29.99 and then gives me the option to buy the app again.

Follow this guide..

Re-Download Mac OS X Lion from the App Store

Also, part of the problem may be that you haven't downloaded the 10.7.1 update...
When you click on "Purchased", Lion might show "Update" instead of "Installed". Basically, Apple is keeping the App Store version updated as OS updates are rolled out via Software Update. If it does show "Update", you should be able to click that to have it download the new version.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
I do have 10.7.1

That looks complicated, think I'll just leave things the way they are for now.

Try going to the purchased tab in the Mac App Store. What does it say for Lion there?

I bought Lion and upgraded my Mac. I wanted Lion for another iMac we have. I clicked it in the purchases tab, then I let it download again. Then I followed the instructions and burned it to a DVD. It worked out great.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Actually, you can re-download Lion after it has been installed. When you're in the Mac App Store, hold down the Option key then click on the OS X Lion link. When you get to the Lion page, the button will have "Install" on it instead of "Installed", then afterwards you can make a bootable DVD or USB drive. No need to install SL beforehand.

You can install Lion on multiple Macs if your Apple ID is associated with the Mac you're installing it on.

Good info, thanks it seems I am always learning something new using my Mac! I just did a test and it works!

Once you buy it, it shouldn't go back to saying you need to pay again! Make sure you Apple ID is connected to your Mac. If you do that then it should show you everything you have available to re-download at no charge. Oh wait you just said that! NEVERMIND! hehehe

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
If you have 10.7.0 installed, now that the 10.7.1 updater is out, "Update" should show up for Lion in the Purchases section of the Mac App store (funnily enough, it *doesn't* show up in the Updates section). Click "Update" and it will download the new version of the installer and automatically run it. Just Quit out of it, and you will have the lastest updated installer (v.1.0.8 <-- no idea why it's that version, but the original that I had was 1.0.4), where you can then grab the .dmg

It seems that, at least under Lion, the re-download trick by holding down "Option" doesn't work.

Last edited:

Andrew8468

Oct 26, 2008
Canada, eh?
So I updated my new MacBook Pro with 10.7.1 and I think I have the file saved onto a thumb drive, at least when I plug the drive in, I see a file that says "Install Mac OS X Lion"

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
So I updated my new MacBook Pro with 10.7.1 and I think I have the file saved onto a thumb drive, at least when I plug the drive in, I see a file that says "Install Mac OS X Lion"

Cool - just an FYI, if you only see the 1 thing there, then it won't be bootable. (A bootable image will have 6 files/folders as part of the image.)

You can turn the installer into an bootable USB drive by following this:
How to Burn Your Own OS X Lion Install DVD or USB Drive

Have fun!

Andrew8468

Oct 26, 2008
Canada, eh?
Ya know what? My new MacBook has Lion and I will reformat the old one before I sell it to 10.6.1 and the new owners can update it to Lion if they want to at their expense.