Songs that could not be made today

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
So you're saying it's still OK to trash women.
Two ways to take that.

1. I never thought it was ok, certainly hope you already knew that
2. Society evidently does. That song could be made today and no one would bat an eyelash compared to songs making it into the top 10 today, like this one:

Fucking this bitch like a perv'
Smack from the back, grab her perm
Ice, the berg, uh, shittin' on all you lil' turds
Can't take that dick, wait your turn
In my own lane, we can't merge
Suck with no hands, you can learn
Let's see how much you can earn

"fukumean" by Gunna
Peaked at #4 on 8/25/2023

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
I would post the video for Confederate Railroad's 1993 top-ten country hit Trashy Woman but I know Mister Hectic wouldn't look at it. Instead, I will share The Sun Has Got His Hat On, a lovely, heartfelt, sentimental ballad that was a 1932 hit in the UK by Henry Hall and the BBC Dance Orchestra and by Sam Browne & the Ambrose Orchestra (Benjamin Baruch Ambrose). This was written by Noel Gay (real name: Reginald Moxon Armitage) and Ralph Butler. The lyrics, in part:

The sun has got his hat on, hip hip hooray
The sun has got his hat on and he's coming out today
He's been tanning niggers out in Timbuktu
Now he's coming back to do the same to you

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Arthur Collins' When You Ain't Got No More Money, Well, You Needn't Come Around, written by Clarence Brewster (words) and A.B. Sloane (music), went to number one in March of 1899. A version by Len Spencer reached #5. A black man tells his "cullud belle" that he lost all his money shooting craps. She responds:

"When you ain’t got no money, well, you needn’t come around.
Ef you is broke, Mister Nigger, I’ll throw you down.
De only coon dat I can see is de one dat blows his dough on me."

Here is a version recorded by Canadian-born vaudeville star May Irwin on May 21, 1907:

• Wow
Reactions: Listener

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
The turn of the century version of "Ain't Nothing Goin On But The Rent".

Actually the awful racist version of it.

Here's a couple more hateful songs she felt the world needed to hear:

800px-All_coons_look_alike_to_me_%28NYPL_Hades-1929688-1990770%29.jpg

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Mott The Hoople's "All The Way From Memphis", a story about flying to a city (Memphis) but your guitar ends up in another (Oriole, Kentucky), contains this lyric:

Well I got to Oriole y'know
It took a month
And there was my guitar, electric junk
Some spade said "Rock'n'rollers
You're all the same
Man, that's your instrument."
I felt so ashamed

Moving forward, the band (and those who covered it, like Contraband in 1991) have changed the line to

Some dude said "Rock'n'rollers, you're all the same..."

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
The band has long denied it but the interpretation is the song's protagonist wanks to photos of a girl and while he's going to town, he squints his eyes. If that's the case, it's racist.

But I think the song was actually written about how he likes looking at this girl's photos when she's not around to the point where "I'd like a million [pictures] of you". That's why he thinks he must be turning Japanese, because of the stereotype of Japanese tourists taking a lot of photos. This stereotype is also in movies, comedian routines and more, not just this song.

While I'm not at all for belittling people based on color, creed, etc, it's getting to the point where you can't observe something about a group of people that do (or don't do) something, and then say anything about it. Like if every time an eskimo came to America, they took a whole lot of photos, can someone write a song that has the line "taking photos like an eskimo"? Or is it too offensive? Personally I'm not offended.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
I think the Vapors' Turning Japanese is based on the old joke that Japanese men have squinty eyes and round mouths because that's the face they make when they masturbate. Twenty other artists have recorded Turning Japanese. (Three of the versions are instrumentals.) Here is Liz Phair's version from her Juvenilia album, released August 8, 1995:

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
The most notorious of [Prince Philip]’s comments was made in 1986 during his first and only state visit to China. Philip met with British university students who were studying Mandarin in Xi’an, telling one of them: “By the time you go back home you’ll have slitty eyes.”

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
All Coons Look Alike To Me (1895) was, surprisingly, written by a black man. Ernest Hogan (real name: Ernest Reuben Crowdus) was a vaudeville dancer and comedian who sometimes performed in blackface. Yes, many black entertainers of that era – including Bob Cole, Billy Johnson, George Walker and Bert Williams – would paint their face black, paint their lips bright red, shuffle their feet and act lazy, turning themselves into the white man's sterotypical caricature of the Negro.

Ernest Hogan, Len Spencer and Arthur Collins all had hit versions of All Coons Look Alike To Me. In the song, the singer laments that his girlfriend, Lucy Jamey Stubbles, has found another man. She tells him:

All coons look alike to me
I've got another beau, you see
And he's just as good to me
As you, nigger, ever tried to be
He spends his money free
I know we can't agree,
So I don't like you nohow
All coons look alike to me.

• Wow
Reactions: Listener

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Ada Jones, born in 1873 in Lancashire, England, was the best-selling female recording artist of the 1900s and 1910s. Including duets, she had 108 top-ten hits and 12 number ones. Among her hits are Row! Row! Row!, My Pony Boy, I've Got Rings On My Fingers, Please Come & Play In My Yard (*snicker, snicker*) and By The Light Of The Silvery Moon. In March 1907, Jones reached #3 with If The Man In The Moon Were A Coon, written by Fred Fischer and released by Edison Records. She also recorded the song for the Columbia and Victor labels.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
My son was listening to "Turning Japanese" by The Vapors and commented it was a racist song.

Ehh the song is borderline today. It's certainly not in the same boat as that stuff Sadchild posted, that shit was blatant.

However I love the term "the vapors". It is my favorite sexist, 1800's term for whenever a woman is being a bit uppity. She has a case of the vapors and clearly needs to lay down.

Last edited:
Reactions: sadchild

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Biz Markie (real name: Marcel Hall) knows what the vapors are. He co-wrote this song with Antonio Hardy and Marlon Williams and it reached #80 on Billboard's R&B chart in July 1988.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Here is one of the mostest worstest and mostest stupidest songs ever written. Dick Van Dyke and Burt Bacharach (who should have been ashamed of himself) wrote Three Wheels On My Wagon in 1960. Van Dyke recorded it (with a really horrible accent) and it was released in January 1961 (Jamie #1172) and re-released in June 1963 (Jamie #1256) but never charted in the United States. In March 1961, it went to number one on the Fabulous Forty of CKWX in Vancouver. How and why??? The New Christy Minstrels recorded Three Wheels On My Wagon for their 1965 album Cowboys & Indians.